Hitman 2 - constant crashing with 0x80000003

The game crashes quite often with 0x80000003 “A Breakpoint has been reached”

The game hangs for a few seconds, and then it goes straight to the Desktop… no error message dialog.
I view the crash code in Event Viewer->Windows Logs->Applications.

It can happen when I simply start the game and load a level, or hours later, or not at all.
The problem seems to be saved in the save games, because when it crashes, I load up the last auto save, and it crashes again a few seconds later.

It seems like IOI left breakpoints in the code… however I believe breakpoints are only active when in Debug Mode, I doubt the EXE is a debug build so its a bit confusing. Perhaps one of the games DLL files was built in Debug configuration…

I have Visual Studio 2017 installed (but not running), maybe Windows knows VS is installed and is catching the breakpoints to pass it onto VS?
Does anyone else have VS2017 installed, and seeing 0x80000003 crashes?

Faulting application name: hitman2.exe, version: 2.10.1.0, time stamp: 0x5be4326f
Faulting module name: hitman2.exe, version: 2.10.1.0, time stamp: 0x5be4326f
Exception code: 0x80000003
Fault offset: 0x0000000001143865
Faulting process id: 0x3484
Faulting application start time: 0x01d47cc64d4e8249
Faulting application path: G:\Games\steamapps\common\HITMAN2\retail\hitman2.exe
Faulting module path: G:\Games\steamapps\common\HITMAN2\retail\hitman2.exe
Report Id: 96e799e2-1061-4d43-9c61-462f37f9e725
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Hitman 2 Crashing with 0xc0000005
Hitman2 crashes to desktop
Poor Optimization
Official HITMAN 2 Technical Support Thread
Cannot Play Elusive Target due to Constant Crashing

@Travis_IOI
@Clemens_IOI
@ioi_christianco
@ioi_jonasm

Please assist. :slight_smile:

I launch VS2017 and attached the debugger to the hitman2 process to see if it will tell me which DLL crashed the game, and now the game doesn’t crash anymore. Even with that save-game that crashed the game within seconds every time.

At least I have a workaround until this issue is fixed :yum:

Not 100% sure but I think the latest nVidia driver 416.94 has resolved this issue.
Seems like nVidia left a Breakpoint in their driver.

I’ll post back here if I see the same error code again.

I was having this issue last night as well, game would freeze for a few seconds then crash to desktop.

Having this same issue. In Event Viewer, under System the actual error message is:
“Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.”
Error code / Event ID: 4109

After I tinkered a bit with the Timeout Detection and Recovery variables I actually got error message notifications after crashes, which stated:
“Application HITMAN2.exe has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware.”

The nvidia 416.94 driver doesn’t resolve this issue. Still waiting for some acknowledgement of this problem.

edit: miswrore error code as 4101

FYI
Since I installed the latest nVidia driver, H2 has been very stable. So it seems that the nVidia driver was the cause of 0x80000003.

However it did crashed once during Miami, when I rigged the car in the exhibition center with Octane and tampered with the engine.
I got in the car and started the engine and the engineer called Robert. Robert Knox came down to the car, the Engineer nearby called for him again for some reason, even though he was 2 meters away. Robert glitched out - he walked away for a moment, then came back to the car because the engineer called him again (even though he was 2 meters away), then Robert ran 2 meters back to the car, then the game crashed with:

Faulting application name: hitman2.exe, version: 2.10.1.0, time stamp: 0x5bec3527
Faulting module name: hitman2.exe, version: 2.10.1.0, time stamp: 0x5bec3527
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000005773fb7

So it seems there is a looping/trigger bug in the storyline of that opportunity.
Perhaps H2 could do with a bit more error checking in the storyline code

Just to check if it’s really an nvidia problem, I’ve swapped back my card (1080Ti) for a spare AMD one (390), and experienced no crashes whatsoever, during two ~2 hour sessions. Checking the Event Viewer later I saw an Application Error, but there was no crash:

Faulting application name: hitman2.exe, version: 2.10.1.0, time stamp: 0x5bec3527
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.17134.376, time stamp: 0x60d78cf9
Fault offset: 0x000000000001d979
Faulting process id: 0x339c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d47e61cbcbbcc4
Faulting application path: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\HITMAN2\retail\hitman2.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: d3baf9c3-cb75-4e09-aaa6-3bf3aea8427a

As there was no crash I don’t know what the problem was, there isn’t even an entry in the System logs. A quick google search indicates exception code 0xc0000005 as memory access problem, so it’s probably not card-related.

@JayE: I hope you have luck and it sticks. I’ve also managed to play up to an hour after installing the 416.94 driver, but it didn’t last, and others had the problem on this version too…

I am facing the same crash issue with Ark Society mission. Did not face any issue until I spent about 4 hours on the mission. Updating to the latest nvidia drives did not solve my problem. Hoping for a fix.

The game crashes moments after loading a save game in the Ark Society mission. The game worked perfectly fine until this last mission. It might be happening due to the large time spent on the final mission and probably the save file is large. I had spent approximately 4 hours on this final mission without having any issues and am suddenly facing this game crash problem now on loading saved files. I have the latest driver version.

Error logs

Faulting module name: hitman2.exe, version: 2.10.1.0, time stamp: 0x5bec3527
Fault offset: 0x000000000ec14f8d
Faulting process id: 0x33cc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d47f3de322edb2
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\HITMAN2\retail\hitman2.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\HITMAN2\retail\hitman2.exe
Report Id: ee4425c2-5f12-4df8-84e2-7236f5a6a6a1

System config

Windows 10 64 bit
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60 GHz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M
Total available graphics memory 12217 MB
Dedicated video memory 4096 MB GDDR5
DirectX runtime version 12

Is the crash 0x80000003 or 0xc0000005?
View the crash code in Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> Applications.

Oh its 0xc0000005

Running the game as Admin might help.

Hmm will try that, but this worked fine for about more than 20 hours of game time. Not sure why this would suddenly occur now due to admin issue

Running as admin did not help. I still think this is something related to performance/high level detail/large save file related issue. The game crashes on loading the save file just after a few seconds. Tried other save files in this mission at minutes back from this but have the same issue. It is very frustrating that the game worked perfectly fine through all the missions till now. I think that maybe the Ark Society mission is just too much detail to handle.

Hi,

Exact same thing here.
Had an old NVidia driver at first occurence, so I upgrade it. It didn’t changed anything.
Set graphic details to the lowest possible, same thing.

As you said, I suspect it to be linked to a big amount of dead bodies/moved object, or stories scripts, or a big save file in general.

I had the issue once and was able go over it, by having done a lot of reloading of my save game after a crash. I tried multiple things, like moving, not moving, etc.
At last, it didn’t crash at one point and I was able to continue to play. There was not clear pattern why it stopped crashing. If played with the holstering feature to remove anything from my hands, I though it might be the solution.

But after 1 more hour of play on the same savegame, issue reappeared, at another very different location of the map (Santa Fortuna). The holstering trick did not worked this time, so I don’t think my initial assumption it was the fix was the good one.

So far, I am not able to continue my save game, 100% crash after 10s max (could be less of 1s, it varies).

Seems similar to a bug I reported earlier, where reloading a game (on Isle of Sgail) causes a crash some number of seconds later. The crash seems to be specific to that particular save, and it is also a save where I was doing challenges, so it also had a large amount of dead/hidden bodies, stuff moved, which could be related to the cause or it could be a coincidence. I am also using an Nvidia card.

(Just checked the event log: “Exception code: 0xc0000005” for hitman2.exe)

I have the exact same problem on the exact same map (Ark society save crashes a few seconds after load after spending a long time messing around, maybe 2.5 hours). I am also using Windows 10 64 bit with an NVidia card (a GTX 1060) on DX 12.

If other people are having the same problem, the maybe there is something wrong with the map itself (something with the scripts or objects) or the way it saves.

Experienced the same issue last night (on Steam). It kept crashing to the desktop a few seconds after loading a saved game on the Isle of Sgail. Tried with different saves, same issue. I have the latest Geforce driver (416.94) and even repaired the driver installation. Didn’t work.

I also have VS2017 installed on my machine, not sure if that matters though.

Rig: Intel Core i7 6700K, GeForce GTX 980Ti, 16gigs RAM

Just to let you guys know, there is also a thread about 0xc0000005 anurag started here.

As for VS2017, I don’t think that matters since I only installed after I got this issue.

A lot of crashes now. I don’t know, haven’t had so many problems with another game like this. Starting to get a bit, tiresome.

yeah, sounds like we have the exact same issue. And I don’t want to restart my mission. It is a waste of couple of hours doing the same challenges again