HITMAN 2 - Crash to Desktop at random

Hello.

I’ve been having issues recently with HITMAN 2 crashing to desktop at seemingly random times. No specific time or map or anything, however, it might have to do with something in regards to interactions (an NPC or a player opening a door or equipping something with middle mouse click).

Unfortunately there has been no concise reproduction of said crashing, but I will try to post something more concrete. As for my specs:

RTX 2060 (Drivers Updated)
AMD Ryzen 7 2700
16GB RAM

Hello and welcome to the forum. To make sure PC players and the developing team who might be able to help you see this, I suggest you post this in the following thread instead. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are you running the game on DX11 or DX12?
I had the same problem and solved it by switching to DX12.

I assume you have the famous 0x80000003 TDR crash (look in Windows Event Viewer in Application category).

Try DX12.

• PC players are experiencing “0x8000000_” (and related) crashes. We’re continuing to work on a permanent solution to this with our friends and partners at Nvidia. We recommend that players who have been experiencing this issue use DX12, as this has been reported to fix the issue.

If it does not help you, wait for a patch from Nvidia or download DXVK. Good luck.

DXVK Installation

https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases/download/v1.3.1/dxvk-1.3.1.tar.gz

Decompress this archive with WINRAR for example and put x64 DLLs in your Hitman retail folder. Then start the game in DX11 mode. DXVK is a DX11 to Vulkan translator, and Vulkan API doesn’t produce GPU 0x80000003 timeout with Hitman 2.

1 Like

You can check this by booting up the launcher and selecting ‘options’ instead of ‘play’. The setting you are looking for is called Graphics API.

1 Like

Heya, thank you very much for helping!

I’ll try to see if DX12 will solve the issue. I would like to note however is that after around 5 crashes or so, it stops happening altogether. This has been happening for around two days or so and yesterday it was the same deal - crash a couple of times, and afterwards it decided to stop.

Sidenote, I haven’t actually had any error events (unless I’m overlooking something).

If issues persist after all of the suggestions, I’ll post in the megathread. Thanks again!

Can this thing (DXVK) be used with DX12?

Nope, only DX11.

That’s bad.
Remains to hope that IOI will continue to work on DX12 to make it more stable and crash proof