Hitman 2 - Texture Modding

I have written a “small” guide on texture modding for Hitman 2. I say small but really it’s a bit complex, good luck to anyone who tries this.
https://notex.app/?page_id=24

Hopefully a few of you will enjoy this :wink:

12 Likes

Hi Notex

I’ve tried to follow your guide step by step by reading it, but I couldn’t succeed completely. There is some steps that I’ve found difficult to understand.

Do you think it’s possible for you to do a full video tutorial on how modding the textures in the game?
That would be very practical!

Thank You

1 Like

I can’t promise anything sorry, may I ask what parts of the tutorial you were having trouble with though?

I mean, I don’t see any reason not to be able to? Using the patch builder tool that I have linked in my tutorial makes it very easy to distribute modifications to the game.

0 Likes

I’m having trouble with the Part V, which is rebuilding the modified texture back into the game. (patch builder)

The last part of the patch builder’s read me says:
Decrypt HITMAN2\Runtime\packagedefinition.txt with h6xxtea.exe and adjust the patchlevel of the archive you generated a patch for to match the highest patch number.

So my question is:

How do I decrypt the packagedefinition.txt with the h6xxtea.exe tool?

I know in the h6xxtea.exe’s read me it only talks about how to decrypt the thumbs.dat file.

So when I try to drag and drop the packagedefinition.txt in the h6xxtea.exe, nothing happens.

I know I’m not an expert… but your help would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

PS: My computer runs on Windows 7

0 Likes

It’s a command line program:

Decrypt:

h6xxtea.exe -src packagedefinition.txt -dst packagedefinition.ini -d

Encrypt:

h6xxtea.exe -src packagedefinition.ini -dst packagedefinition.txt -e

0 Likes

I’ve managed to get the h6xxtea tool working properly! Thank You

But just one more question.

In the patch builer’s 4th step:
Pass the folder with the modified files into the patch builder to pack them into a patch file.

My question is:
Is the modified files in that folder are the modified .dds texture files (the ones that we edited in photoshop and with the Hex editor), or the the game’s .vap files?

0 Likes

Yeah, textures that you have edited with Photoshop + hex editor. You shouldn’t need to rename them either, keeping them as .dds should be fine. Just make sure they have their original filename.

0 Likes

Alright! Much appreciated.

Thank you for your help.

1 Like