HITMAN 2 - Texture Modding

I have written a “small” guide on texture modding for Hitman 2. I say small but really it’s a bit complex, good luck to anyone who tries this.
https://g2-mods.com/resources/h2texturemodding.html

Hopefully a few of you will enjoy this :wink:

Texture names:

13 Likes

Hi Notex

I’ve tried to follow your guide step by step by reading it, but I couldn’t succeed completely. There is some steps that I’ve found difficult to understand.

Do you think it’s possible for you to do a full video tutorial on how modding the textures in the game?
That would be very practical!

Thank You

2 Likes

I can’t promise anything sorry, may I ask what parts of the tutorial you were having trouble with though?

I mean, I don’t see any reason not to be able to? Using the patch builder tool that I have linked in my tutorial makes it very easy to distribute modifications to the game.

I’m having trouble with the Part V, which is rebuilding the modified texture back into the game. (patch builder)

The last part of the patch builder’s read me says:
Decrypt HITMAN2\Runtime\packagedefinition.txt with h6xxtea.exe and adjust the patchlevel of the archive you generated a patch for to match the highest patch number.

So my question is:

How do I decrypt the packagedefinition.txt with the h6xxtea.exe tool?

I know in the h6xxtea.exe’s read me it only talks about how to decrypt the thumbs.dat file.

So when I try to drag and drop the packagedefinition.txt in the h6xxtea.exe, nothing happens.

I know I’m not an expert… but your help would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

PS: My computer runs on Windows 7

1 Like

It’s a command line program:

Decrypt:

h6xxtea.exe -src packagedefinition.txt -dst packagedefinition.ini -d

Encrypt:

h6xxtea.exe -src packagedefinition.ini -dst packagedefinition.txt -e

I’ve managed to get the h6xxtea tool working properly! Thank You

But just one more question.

In the patch builer’s 4th step:
Pass the folder with the modified files into the patch builder to pack them into a patch file.

My question is:
Is the modified files in that folder are the modified .dds texture files (the ones that we edited in photoshop and with the Hex editor), or the the game’s .vap files?

1 Like

Yeah, textures that you have edited with Photoshop + hex editor. You shouldn’t need to rename them either, keeping them as .dds should be fine. Just make sure they have their original filename.

Alright! Much appreciated.

Thank you for your help.

1 Like

@Notex

Never mind Notex. I have just realised that I don’t have to use the command line and can just use the exe instead.

Do you happen to know which texture file in the TEXD folder contains 47’s face texture and/or head texture?

I’m having a nightmare finding them. :unamused:

1 Like

I have found it before but I can’t remember, sorry.

No problem. I’ll keep looking. There are just so many of them in there. Wish there was an easier way to find it ha

1 Like

They have his old face texture from H2016 still as well. So you might accidentally stumble across the wrong one lmao.

Seriously? So does that mean that we could technically replace the new one with the old one because I’d love that. Or would it look weird on the new model do you think?

1 Like

it’s a different head shape so

1 Like

Ye that’s what I thought :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

The texture should just stretch to fit his head anyway. It might not look 100% right, but you could also replace his head model with his 2016 version if you really want to.

Any idea how I’d do that bud? Like where would the head model be? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Something that may help you might be coming out soon…

1 Like

I would literally pay $50 to be able to replace his head and face with the 2016 ones.

And maybe if possible the 2016 body although maybe that’s stretching it.

I’d just love to be able to find his current face in the TEXD files at this point though :joy:

1 Like

I think I know which texture file is 47’s face.

Try texture number 000000000000e8e8

2 Likes