Hitman 2016 prototype & concepts, the game that never was

These where probably first concepts for Hitman 2016 that they started working on right after releasing Absolution

3 Likes

I wonder whether there were any ideas for DLC missions with Absolution which were shelved. The ending tries it’s best to set up a new story with Det. Faulkner and Birdie, I’m guessing they were hoping it would go somewhere.

Faulker was central to the Absolution ARG, and I was expecting to see more of him in the game. Yet his plot goes nowhere. I guess he ended up on the cutting room floor, becoming as irrelevant as the sushi delivery guy.

I know there’s loads of shelved Absolution stuff, not necessarily for DLC but ideas for missions and story beats that were cut during production. IO had an Absolution bible in their lobby for visitors to read while they were waiting at one point, and it plotted out the trajectory of the entire game. Its probably heavily NDA’d like everything else so I dunno how much detail I can go into without getting Pariah’d hueh

11 Likes

Pssst :zipper_mouth_face:- or they’ll send 47 after you!

1 Like

Bunch of it was shown in Absolution Full Disclosure app

3 Likes

In this thread there are all concepts for Absolution. I hope to see some of them developed in future Hitman games

Yeah, the Full Disclosure was more like “Partial Disclosure” to be honest. There’s a ton of stuff that didn’t come out in that app.

I’d love to talk at length about it but since I signed an NDA and IO have been kind enough to let me roam their building on several occasions I should probably be respectful and shut my gob.

8 Likes

13 Likes

Amazing! I love discovering early concepts and artwork like this. I had not seen any of this before. That early render of 47 was way better than what we were shown back in 2015.

4 Likes

The level designer talking about The Hunter and hunted mission from Contracts

Little known fact: I wanted the track playing in the OD’ed junkie’s room to be Shurik’n’s ‘Fugitif’ but since IO couldn’t secure the rights, we used ‘Le Souteneur (Mr Claude)’ by Faf Larage instead.

Another new thing i learned about Contracts.

Always loved this pic, i remember back in '14 that this was the only pic we had about the next entry in the series. All the theorizing about what could be the possible locations from what is displayed.

7 Likes

It’s pretty interesting seeing these images and the fact that they are 5 years old by now. It’s cool to get a look into the production of what would become H16 later down the line. Funny thing I remember the subtitle ‘Pro’ when I took part in users sessions at IO and we got a summary of what H16 would be about. I’m glad they didn’t go with Pro, but sadly I would have prefered them sticking with a subtitle. In that way we would not be stuck with the “Hitman 2” title.

This is a very interesting piece of art and I can only imagine it evolving into the scene where 47 is running in the snow from the cinematic.

11 Likes

i hope we get a dark, moody, snow level again one day. would be so cool

6 Likes

awoooo! awoooo!

Wolf is checking your ID

8 Likes

Yes I do miss the darker and more cold levels, I do love the sunny and bright levels. But there is just something mesmerising about snow levels in Hitman. The atmosphere in a level like ‘Invitation to a Party’ is some of the best the series have to offer, the clam night with snow falling. It’s dead silent and the only thing that breaks the silence is the sound of the snow under ones shoes.

10 Likes

Uhh… Hokkaido, the snowy, grey paletted level where you stare down an asphyxiating woman and crush a man’s organ donation or forcible inject botulism into him.

1 Like

Considering the upcoming entry i would have gladly preffered Pro or Shadow Play or any other subtitle.

i meant something during night time. where the snow is falling and 47 can only see trees and snow for miles.

something like out of bounds Hokkaido. with the trees everywhere, the lake, and the cozy village

3 Likes

But Hokkaido isn’t really moody. It exist in the same tone as other levels from H16, it’s the more luxurious, glamorous and warm. It doesn’t really reflect the nature of 47’s job.

For alle I care they could have called it the most generic thing like “Hitman: Conviction” or “Hitman: Revenge of the Fallen”. It just seems silly to call It Hitman 2, when it isn’t even a reboot.

7 Likes