Hitman 3 on Linux via Steam Play/Proton, Problems (random crashes)

Hi! This is a question mainly for people playing Hitman 3 on Linux.

I am trying to play Hitman 3 via Steam Play (Proton) on pc running Ubuntu 20.04 but I have random crashes in the level Chongqing. After a random time in game the game simply closes and brings me back to the desktop. No error messages are shown. This happens after a random time in game. Sometimes after 5 minutes, after 10 minutes, after 20 minutes and the like. Didn’t had this problem in the previous levels.

What I’ve tried so far: lowering all graphics settings, trying different versions of proton, reinstalling the whole game. Nothing worked.

Here are my specs:

Platform: Steam (using Steam Play/Proton)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (six-core processor x 12)
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Memory: 16GB

I also run a benchmark and the game is between 30 and 60 FPS. Average was something about 45.

In case there are any Linux gamers out there and have an idea of what might cause the problem, I am thankful for any help! Ideas and opinions from non-Linux users are welcome too, of course.

Many thanks!

2 Likes

I don’t recall having much issue running Chongqing, so it’s possible the Nvidia driver is screwing up. Try running steam via terminal and see what causes it to crash, i’d be interested to know.

If you really want, try deleting the compatdata folder for the game (1659040) and see if that helps.