Hitman is too easy and predictable for experienced players. Suggestion - Add new difficulty level with increased damage (2 shots pistol, 1 shot rifle = dead)

I would like to add that Left 4 Dead 2 is supported by Steam workshop; backed by supplementary skins and mods, more often than not with overhauled maps. Furthermore, Steam’s other sister game Team Fortress 2 generates more playtime six times more than the aforementioned during its current 24-hour peak.

You are using a confirmation bias to propel a minutia of statistics. It’s not really comparable to suggest “external motivators” no matter what statistic says otherwise.

I would disagree on some parts.

TF2 was built from the start with microtransactions (however they only introduced them slowly) and unlockables. And it is a multiplayer pvp game.

L4D2 however achieves 17k concurrent players after 13 years without any external motivators. And 17k concurrent players is a big number. Only very few games in the world reach several hundred thousand concurrent players. For any game to reach more than even 1000 concurrent player is a solid number.

The 100th game in the top games list on steam “only” has 12k concurrent players per day. The biggest gaming platform on pc. Because often in these arguments about concurrent player numbers people have lofty expectations of what a solid player number is.

And I don’t think it is confirmation bias. L4D2 is a good example because it has a limitless amount of extra difficulty it can throw at the player. If you play on the hardest difficulty level, the game will remain constantly so challenging you need an experienced group of 4 players to complete a campaign. Which should be evidence for my point that harsh difficulty is what keeps players playing.

I would have to add that I play on master, minimap off, instinct off, directional indicators off. The only UI helper I use is the white circle indicating npcs that can see through the cover.

I play this way because the game is more fun if not everything is highlighted one can touch.
That means I can sometimes walk around a corner or through a door and get spotted by a guard that would reveal my cover.

Sounds good, then what is left to do is to find a way to safely get around corners without running into an enforcer. :stuck_out_tongue:

You can speedrun the game… speedrunning is fun and fresh even after a long time if you try to incorporate some crazy or funny kills… or just play without instinct, enforcers and so on… many many things can be done than a new difficulty

In fact a new difficulty is useless, since the freedom the game gives can make you challenge yourself if you want to… if you don’t lack creativity that is… with creativity you can always find ways to have fun

3 Likes

I think I borked 3 campaigns during the freelancer test by walking around a corner, bumping into an enforcer with a lookout present.

Hey you! Fishy fella! Yeah you!

5 seconds later 12 targets running for the exit with their entourage

It adds fear to playing freelancer I have not experienced in normal hitman gameplay before.

1 Like

It’s a mood argument because a good squad can still rush through the campaigns on Expert.
Same with expert players in Hitman.

And I really, really love L4D2 but the campaigns were just not interesting after mastering them. Versus mode is far more interesting to me.

That’s some revisionist history if I ever heard some. The game was originally a tacked on addition to The Orange Box, a way to sell more copies of HL2 episodes. The entire system of hats and loot crates wasn’t added until 3 years later.

Here’s a near impossible contract which sadly can’t ever be written: One Last Time Mr. Soders as a required kill condition with no getting spotted, no knockouts, and no eliminating non-targets. Add no cutscene skipping for good measure.

I would disagree with that assesment.

I have a “Bill Hat” in my inventory I got for preordering L4d2, which came out 2 years after TF2. TF2 was planned from the release to support player inventory and cosmetic items.

That is a goood point. However I would say it still takes work and is intense to try, even if you got 3 friends who are good at it.

Any game eventually gets boring. However L4D2 stands out for never really getting as boring as other coop games, because it was built with the adaptive AI that adjusts itself to always be difficult. And I said, there is no external motivators either, which is amazing. Because it highlights how good the core game is.

Which is basically what I said and might be why it has more concurrent players than a single player game.

I think this is part of the problem I’m having with your argument; Hitman is neither a roguelike nor a multiplayer game, the examples you think prove your point don’t compare to each other.

There’s a lot to unpack with the few sentences around this statement but I think I’ll just focus on what I think is my biggest overall problem (mostly because it ties into one of my pet peeves): steam isn’t the only gaming platform and far too many people act like it is.

I sort of see your point. HITMAN’s strengths are not really with combat and focus more on the puzzles, or restrictions that you put on yourself.

I mostly lean toward SA, and so having an instant death wouldn’t make much difference for me because I restart anyway.

I like the suggestion of adaptive difficulty tho, especially for freelancer. MGSV is a great example of this E.g. enemies wearing helmets if you sniper a lot.
Or enemies wearing night vision goggles if you attack at night frequenty.

With HITMAN it’s delicate balance between being fun and challenging. Having more npcs with guns could end up being more irritating, ala Colorado

I’d definitely be up for a special mission where some assassin’s are on the hunt for you. Kind of like Berling but they have unpredictable movements, combing the area to find you.
Or some assassin’s placing RFID type traps, so you have to keep your eyes peeled