HITMAN noclip Documentary Series (Part 4 is out now!)

Recently, the crowd-funded YouTube documentary series noclip (by Danny O’Dwyer) has announced that IO Interactive and the Hitman series will be the focus of their next project.

Part 4 has released!

GENERAL INFO:

• Filming/Editing has been completed!
  • 4-part Documentary series.
  • The Doc will focus on the influence of Blood Money and Absolution, the design of the new HITMAN games, and the IO/Square Enix split.
  • The interviewees are
    Hakan Abrak (CEO);
    Forest Swartout Large (executive producer);
    Christian Elverdam (creative director);
    Mattias Engstrom (game director);
    Marta La Mendola (level designer);
    Mette Andersen (level designer);
    Sidsel Marie Herm (level designer);
    Michael Vogt (lead writer)
  • noclip made a contract (‘NoClip Grand Prix’)
    PC: 1-11-1523126-12
    PS4: 2-11-6012308-84
    XOne: 3-11-2073381-69

PROJECT UPDATES:
[newest >>> oldest]

July 29, 2019
Thanks for all the kind words about the first video in our Hitman series. For those wondering the next three will be live this Wednesday (Simulation Design), Monday next week (Level Design) and Wednesday next week (Redesigning Agent 47).

July 23, 2019
we’re just working as hard as we can to make something that fans will enjoy. honestly I still can’t believe I got to fly to Denmark to talk to the people at one of my favorite studios. i have the weirdest best job, so the long days of hard work are easy to do really.

July 23, 2019
it’s most reminiscent of our DOOM series imho

• #1 is all about the studio’s turbulent last few years
  • #2 is about how the designed the simulation
  • #3 dives further into level design
  • #4 is about the story and “tone” of the games

the series starts this coming Monday!

July 23, 2019
okay, I’m pretty sure these Hitman videos turned out real good. I’ve crossed over from a general feeling of creative terror to mild confidence.

July 12, 2019
Coming later this month to Noclip; a documentary series exploring the design of @Hitman, and how @IOInteractive survived going independent.
[NEW VIDEO CLIP LINKED IN TWEET]

July 8, 2019
not to mention the soundtrack of this documentary. Talk about a freebie.
i also banked around seven or eight hours worth of gameplay over the weekend. so it’s pretty much all here now.

Gameplay File List

July 8, 2019
I’ve done a few motions graphics tests too. usually it takes me a few days to figure out the visual theme of one of our documentaries - but thankfully Hitman already has a strong, established aesthetic I could riff off of (aka rip off).

Production Title Card

July 8, 2019
logged six hours worth of Hitman interviews today and feeling pretty good about it. tough work to get through, but it now means I get to start building the timeline tomorrow. you’re welcome future me!

Interview File List

July 4, 2019
Filming complete! Copenhagen is wonderful & @IOInteractive were incredibly kind, honest & open.

Our doc will explore the influence of Blood Money & Absolution, the expert design of the new @Hitman games, and how the studio survived the big breakup. Coming soon to @noclipvideo .

June 26, 2019
In case you missed the stream (and our not-so-subtle clues) we are flying to Copenhagen next week to talk to @IOInteractive about the history of their studio, and the design of their games. We couldn’t be more excited.

26 Likes

im really looking forward to this, especially the interviews from the level designers. hearing them talk about how they make the levels is one of the most interesting things.

13 Likes

Wow we saw a lot of these names on ioi monthly

Familiar last names too; Marta La Mendola and Mattias Engstrom.

2 Likes

It looks like a very interesting documentary :slight_smile:
Looking forward to watch it :+1:

https://twitter.com/noclipvideo/status/1149667112308264961?s=20

5 Likes

Well I chose the right time to make This thread, it seems.

1 Like

Thank you for the thread! I’m really looking forward to watching this!

1 Like

Biiiig new updates!

The Documentary is actually a small series of them. 4 in total, actually.

• #1 is all about the studio’s turbulent last few years
  • #2 is about how they designed the simulation
  • #3 dives further into level design
  • #4 is about the story and “tone” of the games

The first part will be released this coming Monday! So, JULY 29.

11 Likes

im so excited, noclip documentaries are great

4 Likes

Save the best for last they say :weary: :hushed:

2 Likes

HITMAN is a puzzle game, not sure everyone is aware of that, it doesn’t look like when you look at the box, but it is a puzzle game.

Thank you Mette. This documentary is going to be awesome.

8 Likes

[Behind butcher’s counter] is a trespasser area and you have to become the butcher to do it

But when you’re dressed as butcher it still says trespassing :sweat_smile:

Anyway, it’s cool to finally get a proper look of their level editor software!

1 Like

Most interesting comment in the noclip trailer is the necessary unlearning of new IO staff, in thinking of coding a chain of connected events.

The problem with programming of Hitman is that each player gets to choose whatever they want to do, whenever they want. And IO staff have to code a response to every imaginable possibility. I think this is what was meant by the term “spaghetti”. Combined with their use of “swiss cheese” level design and you have lunch.

3 Likes

part 1 is here

14 Likes

im pretty excited to see what this new IP from IO is

5 Likes

Episode 1 will be up today/after the stream according to Travis.

Episode 1 is already up.

He meant that you wait until the stream to watch it. :smiley:
It’s a great episode and even made me somewhat awestruck …

EDIT:

Oh, it was posted a few posts above yours aswell. Didn’t see that. :frowning:

1 Like

It’s not really news but it’s nice to get another confirmation they’re working on HITMAN 3 along with a new IP

1 Like

My bad. Theres alot going on, thanks for clarifying.

1 Like