Continuing the discussion from Support Hitmanforum:
I am sorry to have to announce some bad news.
About a week ago, it was brought to my attention that the hitmanforum archive was listed by google chrome as a “phising” site.
In their words…
It turns out that the very old software (Invision Power Board v3.old) it was running on has been infected by a worm or virus. there is no reason to believe that passwords or email addresses have been stolen but the site has been compromised.
Since it is such an old site, cleaning up the infection would have meant
- reinstalling the several years old version of invision power board software,
- manually cleansing it of infected files
- then manually upgrading it to the latest version to prevent new infections
- (and purchasing a new license)
- continued manual updates to the software, to keep it from getting outdated.
And so, Today I have decided to not renew the hosting plan for the old forum.
It’s been a place full of memories and I had a good time there. I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to that place. The members and the moderators, and especially the good people of Modwest (Steven / Sersun) and their helpful engineers.
Also, long live Discourse.