I wish IO will bring more complexity and depth into mission stories

I was playing the Haven Island level and I was wondering how cool and fun it would if devs would bring more more effort into the mission stories, more complexity and depth with different branches and endings to them.

Because in this mission there is one mission story that I liked a lot, actually
the first introduced to us where we have to call Ljudmila Vetrova and get the USB key. I love how we have the choice through the gameplay to either give the USB key to Vetrova or to give it back to Tyson Williams and then several things happen from that little action.
And if we give the USB key to Vetrova we can continue to spy on her and discover that she is conspiring against the other targets and have other intriguing phone calls. And she’s even thinking about hiring 47 (M. Rieper) to kill Tyson Williams. I wished this mission story would have gone further and deeper because that was interesting. It would have been great if Vetrova really hired us to kill Williams.
On the other side I wished that we were able to say to Williams that the thief was linked to Vetrova. Maybe he would have ordered us to kill her or to spy on her to discover her hidden plans.

Having little stories like this one and being able to interact through them by gameplay choices is very cool.
Being able to affect what’s going on in the map, knowing more about the targets by spying them or by influencing their plans or even by meeting them and helping them are some very interesting thing in Hitman. I hope we’ll see more of that, I generally love this kind of gameplay features in games.
Of course not all mission stories could have this kind of gameplay tied to the stories but having one or two strong and detailed stories with different branches per mission could very increase the replay value and the immersion in my opinion.

1 Like

I havent done this challenge yet but I get what you mean. I would like it if she does say “kill Tyson for me” and after you kill him and come back to her you can tell her that you did it, and she verifies his death and after that she trusts you and presents new types of opportunities. That would be very interesting. Like maybe becoming her assassin will give you access to a weapons cache that you can not unlock any other way but do those steps for her. There is a lot of cool things they could introduce down that train of thought.

2 Likes

Have you played the kashmirian stories before? Those have tons of details and options. There’s also the Block one in Sgail, the flamingo in Miami, there’s a ton of really complex and detailed stories in the game

2 Likes

Em, it does go further AND deeper. Seems like you haven’t discovered ALL possibilities.

That flash drive is the goddamn Kashmirian of the Maldives. So I would say that IO is on the right track. And I couldn’t be happier. Mumbai felt like a real step forward in terms of mission structure and Haven showed that those lessons were learned and further iterated. So I’m really interested in seeing where it could go next.

And in general, it feels like Haven improved on the structure of MS. For instance, some of them are disguise agnostic now. Which is really nice, especially after Sgail. Even after 12 hours, I still actively use them and incorporate them into my runs just because they are so flexible and versatile. In fact, I just finished my first no K.O. SA/SO run, and I totally used the flash drive as part of my plan.

1 Like

What do you mean? What have i missed from it?

Would also like to add the Cronkite Report in the bank that can be used to bring an abrupt end to the investigation and cause the resignation of Matteo, or can be used to trigger a media expose that causes the Bank’s stock price to plummet.

These not only write different outcomes to the Bank’s story and business history, they also re-arrange the position of targets.

2 Likes

Huh? Missed from what? This text will be blurred

Oh sorry. I meant to ask what more can you do with the usb?

I did notice that some mission stories are going deeper with Hitman 2 however what I’m trying to say is that it could be even deeper and lead to different consequences and story branches. Like I said in my first post, this mission story with Vetrova could have been longer and more complex, I felt that the mission story ended too soon. But I liked it the way it is, it was a great story like there were others in the previous maps.
However I felt that the Bank mission stories and the whole difficulty were very weak and botched, just like the ones in the Whittleton Creek mission. That’s what “scares” me a bit because the quality and depth in the mission stories are not regular throughout the game.

Well, mission stories, or opportunities as they were called in season 1, are mostly there for new players to help them get started, providing super scripted ways to isolate and/or kill a target. They can be useful to learn about certain triggers to make targets move, but other than that following mission stories is the most boring way to go about killing your target imo. It’s just following steps that the game has thought up for you, it requires little to zero thinking on the players part.

I like your idea of making them more complex and dynamic, as long as there aren’t too many of them in each map. 2 or 3 mission stories max per map imo.

4 Likes

Well you know mission stories have always been part of the Hitman games when you think about them.
Take the place of the actor at the Opera mission in Blood Money or switch the guns are kind of mission stories too. Just like in Contracts you can take the journalist’s outfit and meet Van Leuven thanks to it in Rotterdam. Or when you can pretend to be the pizza delivery guy in Hitman 2 SA to access the basement, etc.

In the old games those opportunities were more simple, direct and mostly focused on the outfits. Plus they were not indicated to the players, we had to search and experiment them by ourselves. Just like we can do this in the new Hitman games by deactivating all the visual help on the HUD, and that’s the way I play.
It’s just that IO decided to make them more accessible to new players thanks to these indications and visual clues.

I agree that most of those opportunities always end up the same way, which means isolating the target from any other NPC and that’s maybe a thing IO should work on to bring more difficulty and challenge.
But I wouldn’t say that it is the most boring way to kill the targets because now some of them are really nice and you can discover new things, new ways to kill the targets, new dialogues and know more about the targets themselves. And that does not stop you to then restart the mission and kill the targets on your own way, without starting any mission story.

1 Like

It is longer, there is one more extra step. There’s even a challenge specifically associated with it.

Since you asked

USB is only half of Vetrova’s plan. Another half involves our old friend Mr. Portman. Help her with both and see what happens.

You’re talking about when she meets with Steven and they both go to the massaging bath where you can drown them at the same time ?

Well, they could always be more complex, and you could always make the argument that ‘they should be even more complex’.

I was happy with the multiple outcome approach they took with a lot of mission stories in HM2, like that they’re definately already a step up from HM1 in terms of complexity.

I would even say the main evolution of HM2 compared to HM1 is the interpersonal relationships between targets, with Mumbai being the best example (and now the new mission). I love slowly uncovering that narrative a lot. It adds a lot to playing the mission the first few times. I don’t remember a lot of that from HM1.

Now, only a handful of mission stories really have that type of narrative approach with finding out new things about the target, yes, but there’s still a lot more branching paths mission stories or gimmicks like the race, or the interrogation scene in Sgail. So yes, I am for ‘MORE OF THAT’ but, you know, there’s no end to this, and we already got some of that.

Yeah you’re right in a way and I guess that it’s noo always easy to put the ending line and not complexify the plot and the mission story too much for the player.
I’m just saying that in the example that I quote (the mission story with Vetrova), it could have been a bit longer and deeper. But I’m alright with the current one and I’m also extremely happy that some of the mission stories got deeper and more complex in Hitman 2.

Like usual it’s probably an issue of time/resources. I think the mission story’s fairly impressive for how much time they had to make this one.

On the plus side, I doubt this is not a direction IOI wants to explore further, so this sort of thing is likely to become more elaborate in the future.

1 Like

Yeah. From the way you written about it, it seemed like you haven’t discovered it yet.

It is a three part story that can get you access to all three targets, two of them are SO friendly and the third part is somewhat secret since the game doesn’t explicitly tell you about it. And, unlike the Kasmirian, it is modular, meaning that you can perform each part in any order and any combination. So I would say that it is complex enough… for now. I would like to see IO take this design philosophy even further.

What I find interesting is that there are a lot of assassination methods on Haven Island that would have been Opportunities in Saeason 1, but now are just there for players to figure out for themselves. The server meltdown being the most impressive, because it is this really big and complicated set up that fundamentally changes the nature of the mission but the game doesn’t put a marker with exclamation on it.

1 Like

Well they are interesting with guides off. I found myself standing in the restaurant thinking after Vetrova’s offer… “Great… Now what do I do?” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Blockquote MrWaterhandle
Like usual it’s probably an issue of time/resources. I think the mission story’s fairly impressive for how much time they had to make this one.

On the plus side, I doubt this is not a direction IOI wants to explore further, so this sort of thing is likely to become more elaborate in the future.

Exactly, I think that it’s not a priority for IO because they have limited resources but it looks like it’s definitely something that they want to expand.

Blockquote Qwaqa

Yeah. From the way you written about it, it seemed like you haven’t discovered it yet.

It is a three part story that can get you access to all three targets, two of them are SO friendly and the third part is somewhat secret since the game doesn’t explicitly tell you about it. And, unlike the Kasmirian, it is modular, meaning that you can perform each part in any order and any combination. So I would say that it is complex enough… for now. I would like to see IO take this design philosophy even further.

What I find interesting is that there are a lot of assassination methods on Haven Island that would have been Opportunities in Saeason 1, but now are just there for players to figure out for themselves. The server meltdown being the most impressive, because it is this really big and complicated set up that fundamentally changes the nature of the mission but the game doesn’t put a marker with exclamation on it.

I totally agree. This mission story is indeed complex and that’s why I loved it. I just had the feeling that it could have gone a bit further but maybe that was a question of time and resources.

That’s true. The underground servers could easily had a mission story for themselves but they didn’t do it. And it was awesome to figure out by myself what to do and what happens if we do certain actions.

She tried to bahng 47, one on one dinner.