IOI's 'Unannounced Project' News & Speculation

A thread for discussing any news & speculation about IOI’s ‘Unannounced Project’.

As yet, little is known about this upcoming game aside from the strong likelihood that it will be a multiplayer focused experience. Rumours have previously circulated online that it could be an Xbox exclusive. It has also been suggested there might be a fantasy theme, but these rumours are as yet unconfirmed.

5 Likes

I’m going to kick this off with some speculation based on the job listings from IOI’s careers page.

Technical Director

[https://career.ioi.dk/ad/technical-director/9nsff8]

IO Interactive is embarking on a new journey - into the world of emergent multi-player on a unique unannounced project that we believe will shape the future for years to come of both our studio and the relationships we’ve built with our players.

The phrase “emergent multi-player” is very intriguing. Wikipedia defines emergent gameplay as “complex situations in video games, board games, or table top role-playing games that emerge from the interaction of relatively simple game mechanics.

In the context of online multiplayer, experiences which jump to my mind are games such as Minecraft or Rust which enable players to forge their own complex narratives in a sandbox environment, without the need for much scripted gameplay.

I would be interested to hear other people’s thoughts on the meaning of “emergent multi-player”.

When it comes to developing this new console project, we are seeking a Technical Director who is passionate and experienced with multiplayer tech.

A new “console project”? So does this mean the ‘Unnanounced Project’ will not be coming to PC as that phrase seems to suggest? Or does it mean it’s being developed for console, to be later ported to PC?

We can offer the immersive mastery we are known for, on a whole other level of player interaction.

This implies Hitman is known for “immersive mastery”. I guess this refers to the gameplay experience of mastering a sandbox environment to the point that you can become immersed as an expert assassin (although I would love to hear alternative interpretations of this).

So, if they are already known for this “immersive mastery”, then what does it mean to offer this on a whole other level of player interaction? Is this just marketing spiel? Or is there some deeper meaning?

Gameplay Director

[https://career.ioi.dk/ad/gameplay-director/zarw70]

When it comes to developing this new console project, we are seeking a gameplay director who can deliver multiplayer across multiple platforms, with a clear focus on delivering an outstanding game experience.

The phrase “deliver multiplayer across multiple platforms” seems to contradict the rumours that this is an Xbox exclusive game. Also, this implies crossplay (swiftly becoming the norm for online gaming).

Multiplayer Network Programmer

[Multiplayer Network Programmer - IO Interactive]

We’re cooking a brand-new title and concept that will continue the immersive mastery we got you used to, except on a whole other level of player interaction. For that, we need to consolidate our engine’s networking capabilities. You’ll be in for the long-haul. Sounds like fun? Oh, we know it will be.

“Cooking a brand-new title and concept” emphasises the idea that this game will be unique. This could just be to create hype, but it does sound like they are trying to make something original.

Senior Gameplay Programmer

[https://career.ioi.dk/ad/senior-gameplay-programmer/98h3hv]

You probably guessed it: as a Senior Gameplay Programmer you will own and develop large features of the game. Whether it is strategic AI, camera control, and progression systems, this game will feel like you.

The mention of “strategic AI” jumps out. It suggests that this game will not be a straight PvP multiplayer experience, which is what I would have suspected anyway. Does ‘strategic’ imply anything else?

4 Likes