Laptops and Computers - Discussion Thread

Okay, I don’t think people got the actual purpose of what my older (now closed and in purgatory) Laptops and Computers thread was supposed to be. The thread was supposed to be about discussion on the topic of laptops, since I didn’t find another thread with the same purpose.

Of course, I didn’t specify this because I didn’t think it needed to be and I just asked a question to start off the discussion. But some people didn’t get it and…

Laptops and Computers: Regular Purgatory
Closed by @Watson

But anyways.
I have a really crappy Lenovo laptop from I believe either 2014 or 2015, and the graphics and aesthetics of Hitman 6 it can run with minimal lag… are as bad as Minecraft’s graphics and aesthetics.

In JB Hi-Fi Mount Druitt Australia, I found a 15 inch 16GB RAM Alienware laptop with an Intel Core i7 Processing Unit. Here’s some pics:

IMG_0549IMG_0550

Any tips or anything? I also found a 17 inch laptop with the same specifications for around 200 to 300 dollars more. Should I get that, or should I just stick with the 15 inch laptop since it’s cheaper for pretty much the same product?

1 Like

That’s a pretty good dead i’d say. The processor, RAM and storage is really nice as well. As for the +$200-$300 for the 17 inch version, i’d say it depends if you want to game on 720p resolution (15.6 inch version) vs 1080p (17.6 inch version). I play on a Dell 5558, i5, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB storage without any SSD but setting my game to medium high settings and reducing the super sampling i get around 25-35 FPS. So, this is a really nice deal, money wise i’d say go with the 15 inch version but if you can save more, go for the 17 inch version :slight_smile:

Thanks Nel. 20 Spoilers

1 Like

Get a PC. Problem with laptops is that they don’t have a GPU. I’m sure there is a PC that doesn’t cost too much and can run hitman well.

1 Like

I have a Samsung series 9 Ultrabook from 2012. I love it. Till today it works perfectly I really don’t want to change it. Only problem I have with it is that it will not run Absolution.
From Codename 47 to Blood Money it works good. My next laptop will be something in between more gaming and normal. Or at least that lets me play Absolution in a good quality.

1 Like

laptops have GPUs.

OP, i recommend getting a decent gaming desktop and a cheap laptop good enough for basic productivity, unless you ABSOLUTELY need a portable gaming machine.

1 Like

i think MSI and ASUS are better than alienware. alienware tends to have overpriced products.

try to find a laptop with similar specs and see if it is cheaper

1 Like

A blessing in disguise.

3 Likes

But I like Absolution.

1 Like

Most of them don’t. Gaming on a laptop is very expensive and not worth it.

1 Like

maybe opal needs a laptop not just for school? maybe opal needs a gaming laptop because they travel 24/7 and cannot access a desktop easily?

1 Like

But, but, @Opal_Hitman started a discussion about laptop and stationary pc and there is no doubt in my mind, i will always prefer stationary pc over gaming laptop, building your own or buy a pc where it’s easy to switch out hardware, it’s harder to change hardware in a laptop and i think you will get a much better stationary pc to the same price as a laptop.

He’ll still have his old laptop. Just with a PC at his home.

Then he should make a thread about laptops only :joy:. But if i was @Opal_Hitman and needed a gaming pc i would go for stationary pc, i have disassembled at least 5 laptops to increase the ram and that’s not a fun job, in some laptops the ram is on the other side of the motherboard and you have to remove everything to be able to turn the motherboard around, or if you can’t change hardware, your laptop will just be a very expensive PS4 or Xbox One, if the laptop harware is outdated and you can’t change it you have to buy a new one to keep up.

1 Like

Never get an Alienware unless it comes with a girl, too.

3 Likes

I’m now going to try and get a PC, since I’ve realised laptops are only good for gaming when you travel a lot.

What should I get? I don’t feel like buying anything off Ebay or internet stores.

Why not internet stores? This is a pc i’m thinking about buying:

But i would prefer Nvidia GTX 1060 instead, i think 1016 have 6 GB video ram, Intel is a must, i don’t want AMD CPU, this I5-7400 CPU is 3.00 GHZ that should be enough

When I go into a normal store, I can buy it and instantly take it home. When you buy things online, items may take a while to come to your country if the shop isn’t in your area. And even if it is in your country, it still takes time before you actually get it unless the location of the seller is actually in your local area, which won’t always be the scenario.

1 Like

But the best thing with buying online is that you can save money, i don’t know how long it takes in Australia, but here in Norway it takes a week or less when i’m buying something from a Norwegian internet store, i have bought many CD’s from Ebay UK and that can take 14 days max.

But if you have a lot of stores in your area, then i might be better to buy it from a store.

I found the store where you looked at the laptop, so i’m going to see what PC i would buy :smiley:.

Edit.

But what the… not much to choose from here :open_mouth::

Found only one with Intel CPU, this one is awesome when it comes to specs, but what a price tag :open_mouth::joy::

That’s 25.000 NOK :grimacing:.

I looked at the laptop in the actual store, But yeah, not many gaming PCs in the store. But some of the stuff in JB Hi-Fi is usually cheaper than you would find at other stores. But then again, that’s just my experience from looking at shops in nearby suburbs.

1 Like