Laptops and Computers - Discussion Thread

That’s the beauty with desktops and these parts is easy to upgrade if you need that later :grinning::

Uten navn

3 Likes

Was customizing an Alienware 17 laptop on Dell’s website, and I ended up with this:

7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ (Quad-Core, 6MB Cache, up to 3.8GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
Windows 10 Home 64-bit English
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5
17.3 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare 300-nits
16GB DDR4 at 2400MHz (2x8GB)
180GB M.2 SATA 6Gb/s SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1
Lithium Ion (99 Wh) Battery

It’s only $1,700. I think it has almost the same specs as the Predator, but I’m not sure. What’s better? The Predator G3-571 or the Customised Alienware 17?

I’m thinking of getting that Predator gaming PC for when I’m home, and a gaming laptop for when I’m travelling.

Also, I can definitely get a gaming laptop in either June or July :smiley:

EDIT: Just realised that it came from Dell’s website and the $1700 is in USD. Oh well :confused:

2 Likes

I’ve gotten an Acer Aspire V Nitro - Black Edition as my gaming laptop and I’ve also gotten a cooling pad to go with it.

However, I just couldn’t stop looking at this damn beast!

1 Like

Off topic question, @Soar7, (if you feel comfortable sharing) was that picture taken in the original post from an Australian JB Hifi? I didn’t think it was anywhere but Australia, and it’s nice to see a (possible) fellow Aussie :grin:

Yeah, it’s from an Australian JB HiFi. Cheers mate :beers:

1 Like

Well, I’ve used the cooling pad lately. It definitely slows down the speed of which the cores start heating up… but it doesn’t completely stop it from going above 70 degrees (Celsius). I still have to constantly check my CPU Thermometer program to make sure it’s not overheating. It still goes up to degrees around 88.

Another problem: The exhaust of the laptop is higher up the bottom of the laptop, and it isn’t in the middle. Unfortunately, most cooling pads I see have nonadjustable fans right in the middle, which won’t do anything.

Any tips?

Alright.

So I have plans to get a new PC since my current laptop is crap.

I originally wanted to build it, but my dad made some pretty good points about warranty and a few other things.

I’m looking for gaming Desktops with a GTX 1070 or higher, possibly with an i9 CPU, but I’m not bothered with having an i7 instead.

Trying to look for PCs by MSI as they seem to have reasonable prices for really good desktops.

Just curious, what PCs have you guys got?

https://www.msi.com/Desktop/Infinite-X

I have my eyes on these two MSI desktops.

I compared them and they both seem to have their pros and cons.

https://www.msi.com/comparison/desktop/?unique=id1558268808295&compare_list=["QWVnaXMtMy05VEg=","SW5maW5pdGUtWA=="]

Aegis

• Has a 9th gen professor compared to the Infinite’s 8th gen

• Has a RTX 2070 that according to this site, gets 119 FPS on 1080p Ultra quality compared to the Infinite’s GTX 1080 that only gets 95 FPS.

• The Aegis is a much smaller desktop with dimensions of 433.18 x 376.11 x 169.92mm compared to the Infinite’s 210 x 450 x 488.

• The Aegis comes with 4 accessories including a warranty card, while the Infinite has none at all.

—-

Infinite

• Has 64 GB system memory compared to the Aegis’ 32 GB

• The Infinite has 2 USB 3.1 ports and 1 USB 2 port at the front, while the Aegis has one of each. At the rear, the Infinite has 4 USB 3.1 ports and 2 USB 2 ports compared to the Aegis which has 2 USB 2.1 ports and 4 USB 3.1 ports (2 Gen A, 2 Gen B)

• The Infinite has an Exclusive Silent Storm cooling of Type 3 Pro, while the Aegis has a Type 2.

—-

Looking at the comparisons, I’m learning more towards the Aegis because of its better graphics card, CPU and especially needed warranty card.

The Aegis has a huge price of $3000 (AUD), but I think I saw somewhere that the Infinite X is $5000, and I don’t even know if that was AUD.

Do you guys think the Aegis or the Infinite is better?

• Aegis 3 9TH
  • Infinite X

0 voters

Nvm, I found the golden one. Trident X Plus 9th has an 9th gen i9 processor and it has an RTX 2080. Comes with warranty as well.

Need help with a decision.

HarrisTehnology has the best (and cheapest) option for the Trident X with an i9-9900K, 11GB RTX 2080 GDDR6 and 32 GB RAM for 4,466 AUD.

However, PC Market Australia sells a Trident X Plus with an i9 and 32 GB RAM, but an 8GB RTX 2070 GDDR6 instead for a solid 4000 AUD.

Which one should I get?

The more video memory the better, so I suggest you pay a bit more but for better video card

1 Like

Yes if I could change one thing at my rig, it would be more vram.

1 Like

I’d definitely go with the better graphics card if you want the game to look pretty with a decent amount of FPS. What’s the resolution of your monitor? I recently upgraded to a 2080TI, i9 9900k and 32GB RAM and I get around 60-70 FPS on average with a 1440p monitor. It really depends on the map though.

60-70 with a 2080TI? Do you play with super sampling enabled?

1 Like

I should have mentioned that :smiley:
Yep, without it it’s way higher.

Better graphics card it is then.

I wonder if I can get a cheaper price at eBay using a coupon code.

Speaking of graphics cards, what’s the difference between a 2080 Ti and a Super 2080, and is it worth investing in the latter?

the 2080 ti is faster.

1 Like

Alright, cheers.