Movies You've only Just Watched

Watched two horror movies recently.

Yesterday i watched The Ritual (Netflix film) it was pretty interesting and overall a good horror flick. The movie follows a group of friend who goes on a hiking trip in Sweden to honor a friend who died in a robbery gone bad. The interesting thing about the film is the group dynamic and the guilt the main character feels towards the lost of their friend. Underway the enter a forest where things begins to wrong and something is stalking them.

The monster was used sparingly and was effective, though towards the end it was a bit more up front and center. I don’t think it ruined the film, but not as effective as when it began.

A Quiet Place interesting premise with Blind Monsters that react to sound, most of the movie takes place in complete silence and very few lines are spoken overall. The setting of the movie takes place after fall of society, where we follow a family trying to survive a world that is dominated by unknown monsters.

this is an excellent movie, I saw it on release and everyone was so silent that even popcorn was disruptive :stuck_out_tongue:

Just saw MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - FALLOUT:

When the first film of this former TV franchise was launched, the poster tagline was: “Expect the Impossible.”
Six movies in that tagline still rings true. And not just about things that are physically impossible (though there is quite a lot of that), there’s also a lot of things that seem to only be possible with ESP, mind-reading lightning reflexes, superhuman strength, or just dumb luck. All of which contribute to your inability to figure out exactly what happens next or to follow exactly what is happening.

But yes, it thrills even as it spills.

Each one of the five films previously has been a “Formula Plus” endeavor. Taking the masks, gadgets, elaborate schemes-in-schemes, Tom Cruise’s down-to-earth yet larger-than-life persona as IMF pointman Ethan Hunt, and then adding its own little bit extra.

This time, the new flavor is a focus on the rivalry of the IMF and the CIA, something which was brewing in the fifth film, ROGUE NATION, of which this film is a direct sequel. The CIA are represented in this film by their own version of Ethan Hunt, August Walker, an imposing giant of a man played by Superman actor Henry Cavill sporting a moustache so exquisite, it had to be photoshopped out during reshoots of JUSTICE LEAGUE rather than get trimmed off.

Walker is a wrench thrown into the machinery. A result of growing distrust from the CIA over IMF’s continued use of unorthodox methods, which this time does bring the world on the brink of disaster that leaves even Ethan Hunt dumbstruck with doubt and guilt about his judgment.

As Walker, Cavill cuts a dominant figure, seemingly occupying more screen space physically than even Hunt’s entire team combined. Understandably, due to the close proximity of Cavill playing this role and that of Superman, August Walker barrels across the film with what appears like a protective barrier made up of mild-mannered but menacing invulnerability. Maybe the moustache is meant to try and distract the audience from thinking the CIA have hired an expat from Krypton.

The addition of August Walker to this film, and the forced involvement of two rivaling agencies in the form of two rivaling, but supposedly allied, super agents gives the first one-third of the film a vibe that resembles a buddy film from the post-2000’s. You can be forgiven for wishing it may become a new element of the series going forward. But this isn’t MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. This is MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE, a series with staples of its own.

Many of those staples are reworked in this picture. Elements from the fourth and fifth films, such as: Ethan Hunt getting disavowed. Deadly games involving lack of oxygen. Situational comedy (usually at Tom Cruise’s expense). The IMF being threatened with disbanding and so on all get fair re-use but with just enough tweaks to make it “a little different this time”. In some ways the change is a case of “More, more, more”. For example, rather than chasing one doomsday device, FALLOUT features three of them. “Impossible!” you say? Exactly, did you read the film’s title?

Sean Harris’ softly spoken ROGUE NATION villain, Solomon Lane, is also back for more. This time showing the effect of hard times since being captured in a glass box by Hunt’s team. He’s there mostly to add that little bit of uncertainty. He always looks like he has something up his sleeve, even as he spends most of the film in a straitjacket. He gives Ethan Hunt more reasons to keep looking over his shoulder this time.

Two other stalwarts of the series: Luther (Ving Rhames) and Benjie (Simon Pegg) return in their usual roles, providing comic relief, drama, action, tension, and exposition as is necessary.

Another notable new entrant to the franchise is Vanessa Kirby who plays the luxuriously seductive femme fatale known only as the White Widow, the leader of a clandestine trading house for anything from dangerous weapons to dangerous persons. Her appearance in this film is mostly introductory, but it is clear that her organization is part of the secret underbelly that houses all the alphabet agencies as well as groups using unique and catchy monikers like “The Syndicate”, or in this film “The Apostles”, not that any of these groups seem able to differentiate themselves. At some point Ethan Hunt quips: “Syndicate, CIA, Apostles? What’s the difference?”. Indeed. But at least one of them now has a leader who looks good when you take her out for a night in Paris. Ethan Hunt and the White Widow have surprising chemistry together. You know she will be back.

Also back is Ilsa Faust, played by the steely, yet glamorous Rebecca Ferguson, but with the added complexity that she has to confront her role as the Fifth Wheel in the Ethan Hunt Family Drama that has been one of the series’ cornerstones since the third film. That drama gets a pretty hefty shake up which stamps FALLOUT as a significant entry to that story.

As par for the course for Ilsa Faust’s increasing significance to this franchise she also seems to have acquired impossible abilities of her own. In combination with Cavill’s Walker and Cruise’s Ethan Hunt, you begin to wonder what kinds of supplements intelligence agencies must be giving their agents to shrug off things like being bumped by a car head on. Which is exactly what happens to Ilsa in one of the film’s tense action sequences. She simply walks it off, later uttering to her attacker: “I’m sure you had your reasons.”

And it’s not just cars the stars have to contend with. There’s trucks, armored cars, motorcycles, boats, lorries rolling down the streets of Paris, aircraft rolling down jagged mountains, a skydiving sequence that happens with people who are unconscious, and a thrilling attempt at a demolition derby - with helicopters.

“That last one sounds impossible…” you might think. But… remember the title. :slight_smile:

Didn’t read the whole post because it seemed to tell things I didn’t know yet lol. I’m going to go to see this one too, I’m a big fan of the franchise. It’s not out here yet so I still gotta wait. :stuck_out_tongue:

I did try to stick to information that was already in the trailer, but yes, I may half extend on a couple of things.

The trailers themselves for this film are special because they actually contain a number of shots that either do not happen the way they are presented, or have been altered considerably in final print such that the trailers become mildly misleading.

Honorable mention for whoever edited the Bathroom Fight for the trailer and made it look like something it totally wasn’t. And to the CGI wizards who actually completely altered more than half a shot into something that just totally doesn’t exist in the final picture.

If you are loaded by the trailers for M:I FALLOUT then yes… you will immediately get the feeling I am revealing something. Come back here after you’ve seen it. :slight_smile:

But let me say this… This is definitely one of the best 2 or 3 films of the series.

I also want to make a special mention of some comments Christopher McQuarrie made regarding Henry Cavill in this film in particular…

I have been guilty of telling certain people that Cavill “would not be a good fit” for conventional action roles or, the mother of all action roles: James Bond. This was mostly off of my impressions of him from MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. . I am making it public that I change my assessment.

Cavill is seriously very good when playing an aggressive, meticulous, and sharply intuitive guy with a licence to kill. The bruiser trying his best to do what’s right by him, and not the eyebrow raising, flippant risotto cooking gentleman thief he was being made to play in MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E.

McQuarrie’s assessment of him I feel is spot on, and it really shows in this film. Henry Cavill can definitely be more than just Superman.

I’m calling it right now… they are going to reboot MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE…

That’s Jake Myers… the guy who “actually operates the switchboard” on the franchise and the films. He clearly says here that they went for the biggest Mission possible and that they don’t know where they’re going after this in light of the injuries and advancing age of Tom Cruise.

Let’s not forget though that M:I was in the same boat in early 1993/94 and that’s when Ethan Hunt, a new character for the entire franchise, was created, so in theory they’ve already rebooted once.

Can they do it again?

I’m going to watch now the movie Oldboy from 2003. I first saw a couple of years ago the re make from 2013 and I loved it. Hear this one is more brutal.

A question to @AGENT_58 are you familiar with the movie A Serbian Film? I’m very sure it has a bad reputation in Serbia. Strange enough, I only know about it because a friend named Milosh showed it to me :sweat_smile: I want to ask if you know other movies from that director and if they are fucked up like this one.

Definitely was too brutal for me.

Yes,I watched it.It’s unfortunately popular.A shame since there are many good movies from Serbia.
It’s a shitty movie with boring story.It only manages to disgust you with couple of scenes but I overall found it uninteresting.
It’s even more disguisting that it’s called Serbian Movie,when it comes to director I have no idea who the guy is.He doesn’t even have wikipedia page now that I checked.

The only good thing about it is main actor Srđan Todorović,he’s one of the best Serbian actors.
So I’d suggest if you want to watch good Serbian films watch Profesionalac/Professional,Mrtav Ladan/Frozen Stiff,Trap/Klopka,Wounds/Rane and Lepa Sela Lepo Gore/Pretty village,pretty flames (imo best Serbian movie probably and one of the best war movies I’ve seen)

Watched Kill Bill pt 1 & 2 yesterday. Not much to say about it. Pretty good movie, but nothing special. The amount of gore was funny thought :smile:

I’ll give it a look.

@Soupienza I’m almost at the end of the movie and I’m finding very familiar scenes with the remake.
Personally I like a lot more the remake, especially the fighting action. More realistic.

I’m enjoying it with some redbull whiskey and m&m :yum:

Just watched Pandorum again, I suspect it’s been since the release of the movie in 2009 or close.

It’s a scifi thriller / horror set on board a space ship filled with thousands of settlers in cryosleep on their way to a new, Earth-like, planet.
Ben Foster and Dennis Quaid play two crew members who wake up, realizing something is terribly wrong. The ship is decaying, and infested with humanoid monsters.

I really quite like this film. The concept is definitely a lot better than the execution, but to me the concept goes a fairly long way. I especially like the ending twist that the ship is already on Tanis.
The thing this movie is really missing is a score by Clint Mansell (his style would be fitting, and the actual score isn’t that great), and if he could agree to score that Doom movie with the Rock he could’ve agreed to this. :slight_smile:

Hitman, actually, from 2007, or something?

I actually watched it twice this week because I attempted to watch it, could not get over the fact that the guy was clearly not Agent 47, then had a massive, Grinch-style change of heart when he sedated the lady who was trying to smash, and decided to actually pay attention the second time.

Not bad at all.

To be honest I don’t think Hitman (2007) deserves quite as much shit as it gets. That being said I feel that it clearly deviates from the source in ways I don’t really like while just getting off the rails silly at other times.
The worst offense probably being that weird impromptu sword fight in a train.

The unrated cut is definitely superior, but even then I know there’s cut material that would’ve been better left in (extended ending to the penthouse shootout, as well as extended opening sequence).

RIGHT!? Sheesh that part was even more extra than…well, I’m not gonna finish that sentence.

There’s an unrated cut? Google time!
*Aha, that’s the version I did see. Interesting that they those things out.

It’s kind of interesting what wound up being completely cut (is not even in the unrated cut). Some of it is quite decent extended scenes that allow the to breathe and feel less rushed.

There’s also an obvious alternate to the sword scene, implying the sword fight was likely shoved in there by producers wanting more action.

The shot of 47 walking away after killing Belicoff’s brother obviously should’ve been left in.
As should the extended warlord bits. Especially the part leading in to the scene.

I literally just shouted “EVERYTHING MAKES SO MUCH MORE SENSE THIS WAY!” At my TV, like a child.

That scene was way more stealthy (from bad guy’s POV,) rather than some random sword fight. Girlwithbaddresses (I’m terrible with names,) physically stopping him also explains that entirely unnecessary amount of anger he expressed in the car.

I wonder why they changed it.

Maybe one day they’ll make a great movie. David Bateson will play 47 and everything will be glorious, yada-yada. Still, I’m glad this wasn’t as bad as I originally expected. I heard the newer movie was terrible, and I’m pretty bad at watching movies in general and so don’t plan to ever watch it.

It’s worse in some ways. Better in a few (mostly the scifi-angle it has). If you enjoy cheesy B-action and can pretend that it’s not an adaptation you might find it somewhat entertaining. I did.

Sci-fi angle what!?
Good to know, though. I’m not sure if I’d be able to separate it, given that I had to watch this twice; however, knowing that now means that maybe I’d be able to deal with it much later, in the future.