Movies You've only Just Watched

How about the Predator is attending a Mid-Western high school and the will be about the Predator and his high school friends as they face the trials and tribulations that growing up brings.

Predator puberty must be a son-of-a-bitch :joy:

Predator College

@Mads47 go watch Bigger. Trust me!
It’s about Joe Weider. Very well made movie and at the same time very interesting.
There is a young Schwarzenegger actor who incredibly surprise me how identical he is to Arnold.

Yeah I plan to see it, I actually follow the actor playing Arnold. He’s also a bodybuilder. But is it already out?

I must be going insane because I don’t see an overwhelming resemblance.

Last week I watched a zombie movie placed where I live. It was made by a young director from my town. It’s divided in 5 episodes (there are only three now on youtube). So I watched it. It’s is one of the most funny things I have seen in my life. It’s too ridiculous. Everything is awful. The funniest things are the dialogues, meaningless and sometime in a bad italian (and they’re not strangers). Graphic effects are terrible and the blood looks like the one in a 90s videogame. I can’t wait to watch the last two episodes.

Just watched: ALITA BATTLE ANGEL

ALITA BATTLE ANGEL begins with a dichotomy: A pristine, but damaged city, implying a sense of majesty, dumping scrap and refuse down to what appears to be the old, but real world which all the known characters of this story inhabit, a place we learn is called Iron City.

It is here in this scrap heap we are introduced to the world and immediately to its nameless heroine who starts off as a disembodied cyborg that is little more than a bust found by Dr. Ido (Christoph Waltz) a man who is part doctor, part mechanic, in a future that is as wondrous as it is downtrodden.

The film’s pacing is quick, but not disorganized. Soon after awakening in a new body, the heroine gets a name, tastes Earth food for the first time, and is introduced to other human (and other only fractionally human) characters and we get a sense of the neighborhood and the people in it. It is soon apparent, however, that the dichotomy of Zolum - the city in the sky - and the grimy oil and grease nose-in-the-dirt tone of Iron City below is symbolic of many of the characters in this film.

In spite an initial facade of a working society, no one in Iron City is there by choice, and it seems everyone has a hidden motive or second life. A lot of it seemingly tied to a desire to reach Zolum, whether through brutal televised sport like Motorball (a kind of Roller Derby Death Race cross up), or through dangerous bounty hunting work; all of it at the literal expense of people’s humanity as they replace almost all bits from the neck down with machinery to serve brutal purposes to chase their dreams.

All of this piles through the literally wide-eyed Alita, played by childlike wonder through performance capture technology by Rosa Salazar, cannot understand it just as she does not understand the fears - and later cynicism and scheming manipulation - that reside in the hearts of others. But when memories of an intergalactic conflict in which she was a soldier begin to creep back in, she realizes that like all others around her, she too, seems to have a double life tied directly to Zolum.

These other characters are surprisingly well fleshed out for a film where many of the characters are full-body cyborgs with only their faces remaining human. There’s Grewishka, a hulking brute who for all his strength is just the willing pawn of a group or corporation called “The Factory” led distantly, and at times controlled directly, by a man known only as Nova. There’s Vector, a hustler who prefers to “rule in Hell, than be a servant in Heaven”, selling everyone on the promise that he can take them to Zolum in search for a better life. Zapan, the film’s role model for a class and profession known as warrior-hunters, walks around with the swagger of a veteran killer with customized body armor and a personality that has seen it all. The list goes on and on and on.

In Alita’s inner circle though are characters that are no less deep, but all of whom are somehow driven by a past, or desired future, linked to Zolum. Dr. Ido reveals at one point he had been to Zolum, and Chiren, his estranged wife is written entirely around a desire to return there.

Hugo, a boy Alita befriends, and who is obviously a love interest, is a dreamer reaching for the dream to reach Zolum. What he is willing to do to get there will not only test Alita’s spirit, but it will also end her innocence.

As you might have guessed, a lot of ALITA BATTLE ANGEL rides on character. Since it’s central heroine is essentially a cyborg amnesiac, everything she learns - and thus whatever we learn - is a direct result of her interactions with all these characters. There’s a surprisingly large amount of exposition, but more surprising is that in spite the many times the word “Zolum” is spoken in the film, the film isn’t really about Zolum.

In fact, in many ways this film is more the beginning chapter of what appears to be a long-spanning adventure. Not all details are resolved in this chapter. Zolum exists almost as a metaphor - an unreachable, yet corrupting ideal - presided by Nova, worshiped as if he were God, yet treated as if he were the Devil.

The film essentially follows the trajectory of Alita, from childlike girl, to a fighter who holds on to who she knows she is, rather than surrendering to what her surroundings demand her to be. It’s this energy of exchange between Alita and those around her that drive this film.

Oh and that was just the story. There’s also the action, which is graceful, visceral, powerful, hard hitting, and every bit as cruel as the anime was for as far as the PG rating allows.

All in all, a hard hitting, memorable film. I look forward to the sequel.

You wrote alot about it, but I could tell from the poster that it was complete garbage

Seems you can tell a lot from posters… Can’t win’em all. :wink:

Hang on though, was this live action? One on the poster looks like Christoph Waltz… I thought this was some cartoon thing.

It may make a difference on my assumption of it, however I retain my earlier judgement: it looks like shit. Keep in mind I despise superhero movies. Prove me wrong!

I’m not obligated to prove anything to you.

And yes it’s the live-action adaptation of the “GUNNM” anime film and manga books from Japan. But if it’s worth anything… Whatever the missed opportunity of GHOST IN THE SHELL was when it made the transition from anime/manga to Hollywood live action cinema… if anything ALITA BATTLE ANGEL is either as good as GUNNM was, or possibly more superior in that the story is told more intelligibly.

Like I mention, they do the smart thing by using whatever details cannot be resolved in a more metaphorical way.

It’s a deft touch that most anime do not have.

It’s not a superhero film. This is more BLADERUNNER with the technology amped up many times, and if “the ships burning on the shoulder of Orion” were actually part of the story.

It’s really science fiction. Which James Cameron defines as: “Using fictional science to represent the human condition today, but project it into a time in the future.” that’s what the whole Zolum and Loss-Of-Literal-Humanity thing is about.

For you to think that I meant this from simply typing:

Means you don’t get what I’m saying.

It’s not a challenge, mate. It’s a demand for an explanation. You didn’t come up with one. As you said though, you’re not obligated to.

I think you missed my point though.

The proof is in the viewing. What I wrote above is my experience. Honestly, I don’t watch superhero films (except the occasional DC film) and I walked out of THE AVENGERS (at about the 5th minute), but I liked ALITA BATTLE ANGEL enough to want a sequel.

Would you classify ALITA BATTLE ANGEL as a superhero movie?

I didn’t read your novel because, frankly, I don’t know how to read.

No… it’s not a superhero film at least not in the way the worst of them are.

On the subject of Blade Runner I just watched the 4K update. Still a first-rate film but, while it did well at HD at 4K it’s looking old now. The sound’s great.

lol. This is extremely high praise. My expectation is to watch it and return with a statement on how unlike blade runner it is.

In English Cinema, I’m not sure there is a more artistically relevant film than Blade Runner regarding androids/AI/Machine learning/what have you. Comparing some anime to it is very high praise. Seems like you doomed it to fail with this comparison. I will check it out though

EDIT: Ahh I edited this post all fucked up

This fucking cracked me up! :joy::joy::joy:

Also, I’m really looking forward to seeing Alita BA.

also, it’s an unpopular opinion, but I think Bladerunner is overrated. A lot.

Bladerunner looks (both technically and from a cinematography perspective) and sounds really really good but the story is far too long and the romance has no chemistry. Depending on the version the story is also obvious or makes no sense.

Alita BA is a Robert Rodriguez film. So you know if you are gonna like it before seeing it.