Music Thread

Right now do I quite like big band/ big band revival music

Fvzz Popvli and Beesus are my bands and my job, check them we tour almost every month in EU, Fvzz are in Heavy Psych Sounds rec. ( nick oliveri, fatso jetson, brant bjork ecc.) enjoy! Maybe we gonna meet one day!

Fvzz sounds right up my alley. I’ll give it a solid listen after work. Where are you guys based

Is anyone else in love with the “Are We Stars” song by Jordan Cross and The Class?

Apparently these guys been around for a couple years. I can’t believe I just first heard of them a couple days ago. I freaking LOVE this band! Check them out if you haven’t already.

STARSET

Two of my most favorite by them!

I’m a much bigger fan of Jordan’s last single, “Help me oh god I’m being asphyxiated.” He only performed it once.

Oh thanks man, nice to see some people have good taste :wink:

This is in my top five favourite songs of all time.

If anyone’s seen Horace and Pete, you know where this song was played.

Better version of some classic Eurobeat.

Enjoy

On Friday, A Perfect Circle are releasing a new album for the first time in 14 years.

Billy rapped all night about his suicide
How he’d kick it in the head when he reached 25
Don’t wanna stay alive when you’re 25

A Perfect Circle - Eat The Elephant

What a lovely, surreal experience it is to hear a new album by A Perfect Circle in 2018. Spearheaded by Tool frontman Maynard James Keenan and Guitarist/songwriter Billy Howerdel, APC have soundtracked my life since my teenage years and inspired me both as a musician and on a personal level. I owe a large debt to their two albums Mer De Noms and Thirteenth Step, the former of which is an absolute undisputed masterpiece that everyone should listen to.

Their last release was 14 years ago, a hastily recorded covers album of protest songs to coincide with the 2004 US election - And then that was it. Their 3 album contract was done. and the members dissolved back into their other ventures - Reforming sporadically to do the odd tour, at which they’d occasionally perform a new song or two. Now though, they’re back with a new record that has focus, sincerity and purpose and I think is far better than anyone expected it would be.

The fact that Eat The Elephant isn’t a patchy, unfocused mess despite so many years in gestation speaks volumes of Billy Howerdel’s ability as a songwriter to wrangle in ideas that are on the verge of becoming unruly, and Maynard’s ability as a vocalist to weave profound melodies into the very fabric of songs that sprawl in all sorts of directions. Maynard himself is on top form - Some of the most ethereal and ghostly vocals he has ever recorded are on this album, with hushed delicate tones outnumbering the rousing bellows we are used to from him, and with lyrics ranging from politically scathing to compassionate and melancholic.

It is clear from the first note of Eat The Elephant that this is a changed band; one that has no desire to recapture past glories. You won’t hear another Judith or The Outsider on this album. What you will hear though is a forward thinking, politically charged and cerebral modern rock album that in many cases forsakes guitars and heaviness for textures, density and ambience. The stand out songs for me are Feathers, The Doomed and Hourglass.

I’ve lived with and listened to their other albums for a good chunk of my life, so Eat the Elephant definitely faces an uphill battle of sorts to become as monumentally important to me as their past works - But even if this is their weakest album so far, so what? It’s still utterly majestic. The songs are powerful, evocative and in some cases angry - There’s a point to make here about human apathy, detachment, political and social disenfranchisement. So wonderful to have them back.

One of the downsides - I really miss Josh Freese. This album was recorded with a multitude of session drummers and his presence is sorely missed. I’ve always been a huge fan of his drumming.