My Idea On How IOI Can Revive Ghost Mode

It’s present in both versions. The reason the GM mod works is because the patcher works with steamapi calls and hasn’t adjust for Epic. Or that’s how I understand it at least.

1 Like

I genuinely never noticed this. From what I played of it back in the day, it was essentially random where you started.

Huh? That was a good idea; it shook up the gameplay somewhat? If anything, this was actively helpful; as ghost crates were surprisingly consistent at giving out specific items. I fail to see the bad here.

Santa Fortuna is…fine. I wouldn’t have chosen it either; it clearly was not designed for it.

The great majority of items were either OP (ghost proximity explosive) or useless (ghost flash grenade) with very little middleground. The balance of the mode was questionable already; the ghost items didn’t exactly help much.

Then people shouldn’t have queued for both maps? I remember that you could queue for either map, or both. Adding SF by itself was not the issue.

To answer the remaining part of the comment; how big do you think their dev team was? Because they were basically running on fumes and WB’s publisher money at the time. Making Ghost Mode by itself was probably the worst thing they could’ve possibly have done back in H2’s lifespan. It diverted resources away from the main game, and slowed everything down. Same goes for adding the Sniper Assassin mode as well.

As soon as ioi made that change, less people played (on Xbox). Pretty bad, right? :joy:

That wasn’t originally an option, it was added later after people complained. By then, it was too late.

Despite the nostalgia people have for Ghost Mode, it was never that popular on any console; PC or otherwise. It had nothing to do with the changes to the mode, and everything to do with the fact that it’s a single player game, and most players treated it as such. GM was a curiosity, and the simple truth was very few people played it compared to anything else. It was an self-admitted IOI experiment. It’s shutdown was not entirely surprising to any of us, and I saw it as something of an inevitability.

It wasn’t originally an option because SF was added at the same bloody time map select was if memory serves.

Never said anything about it being popular. I was talking about activity, and it WAS active before ioi starting making the changes I described.

Technically…

With the addition of Santa Fortuna, we’ve taken the opportunity to redesign the Ghost Mode Lobby. ‘Quick Match’ will search for a match on all available locations, ‘Featured Match’ will search for a match on Santa Fortuna and ‘Invite Player’ will allow you to select from either ‘Random Map’ or specify which match you want to play.

I was wrong,. It looks like the only way you could EVER pick the map you wanted to play on (i.e. Miami for most players) was if you invited a player. That’s it. But since there was no list of available players you could choose from, it wasn’t really practical. :joy:

And it remained active until shutdown. What happened was that less and less people played it because they either had no interest in it, or found it boring for their own reasons, It has nothing to do with IOI adding items or SF; if anything, the people who liked GM wanted more changes to keep the mode feeling fresh and alive, not the opposite.

People started leaving when Mumbai GM got cancelled, kinda sending the message to the community at large that IOI literally didn’t have the resources on hand to support the game mode. That meant less incentive to try it out and it started to decline from there.

…your friends list?

1 Like

It didn’t remain active until shutdown, on Xbox. There were days where NO ONE was playing it so you couldn’t get a single match. And this happened WAAAAAY before ioi announced they were ditching Mumbai (which would’ve been an even shittier map than Santa Fortuna BTW).

Why can’t i connect to the community-serves of Ghost Mode?That’s in HITMAPS,and I choose the gm.hitmaps.com and start,but I can’t connect to the serves.