Need For Speed Series

I think I may have played every Need for Speed game except Undercover, going back decades. I have to say that the open road ones are far preferable to the track-based ones, but they all have plus and minuses. The Run, for example, made great use of a lot of varied terrain types and the journey from San Francisco to New York was like actually doing that drive (well, at much like it as you’d want, really). Porsche Unleashed showcased one specific manufacturer and I enjoyed being able to walk through the timeline of all of the company’s various eras. Something like Most Wanted where if you can find the car you can drive it put some pretty exotic stuff into the player’s hands really quickly while others, like Payback and it’s customization system made for a really engaging experience where you felt like how you tuned the car made a pretty big difference.

It’s been pretty interesting watching the game evolve over the years from the very first one all the way through the current games and seeing the directions change, the focus change, and the list of cars change throughout each version.

3 Likes

Started a bit of Need for Speed Heat today. Nice first impression so far.

First of all: Watch Dogs Legion has messed my brain up! I keep trying to drive in the left side of the road!

The Miami type setting is nice. There’s great use of puddles and rain, short reflections in puddles and other cars (surprising for a PS4 title).
The transitions between Night and Day and entering Garages have a cool neon showcase aesthetic.

Gameplay wise, it seems like a good mix of Sim and arcade. You’ve got your choice of grippy tuning or drifty, slidy tuning. So far I’ve got a pretty grippy BMW.
The drifting in this is weird. Maybe I’m just used to Burnout-style ‘tap Brake to drift’, but here, it’s "let go of Gas, hold again, and drift’.

Also, seems there’s an online multiplayer mode (according to the menu: Solo/Online Mode)? I thought this game (post-launch) was disappointing for many because they only released like 3 updates and didn’t add any multiplayer. But I guess they did?
Edit: tried Online. It keeps the same progression as the solo campaign, and is the same thing. It’s just that other players can populate the world, join races, and you can’t fully pause the game in that mode.

2 Likes

I played my first Need For Speed lately

It’s the newer Most Wanted but of course I played on the Vita. That is a damn amazing port, honestly played for that alone but it’s hooked me

4 Likes

Oh well, this can be changed back to the style you get used to very easily. Whenever you’re driving your car, press the d-pad down button :arrow_down: to open the quick tuning menu. You can switch drifting method from tapping gas to using brake.

However, once you unlock drift events, I will suggest you to use tapping gas method to complete those events. For some reasons, drift points are built upon how much wheel spin you get. It will accumulate points faster. :wink:

You can also adjust downforce (more allowing you to get around corner faster, less giving more top speed) and switching stability control on or off (to make your car grippy or drifty) there as well. Each car has its own tuning setting memorized too.

Yeah, you can join or host a race event with other players in online modes. Crossplay was added in the final patch, so you can play the game with players from PC and Xbox as well, just like HP 2010 Remastered.

It’s unfortunate though that the game doesn’t give many incentives to play online, other than unlocking achievements/trophies. Payback, the previous title, does feature a ranked lobby and playlists, so you can compete with others for a title if you want. In this game, however, multiplayer does seem more barebone. But it probably has something to do with EA shutting down Ghost Games soon after the launch, and the game not receiving much post-launch supports.

Well if you ever need a player to help you unlock the multiplayer trophies, or just want to race or cruise together, let me know. :grin:

Most Wanted 2012 on Vita is a good port indeed. It has the same content just like the main version of the game (PC/PS3/X360). For a handheld, it looks pretty good!

Although, there is a disadvantage of shorter draw distance when compared to the main port. So you may run into some situation like suddenly seeing police roadblocks in front of you or not seeing police SUVs kamikazing into you until it’s too late. Nonetheless, it’s a pretty good handheld NFS game.

Now if I may suggest, and if you are also a proud owner of Nintendo Switch, you are probably interested in Hot Pursuit 2010 Remastered as well! It’s developed by the same studio as MW 2012, and the game has a similar emphasis on pursuit activity. You can play as police to take down street racers too if you want. :rotating_light:

1 Like

I am already demanding my fiancee buy me Hot Pursuit on Switch.

If all goes well it’ll be here next pay cheque.

Have been playing Burnout Paradise on Switch which inspired this, that was a bucket list game since I wanted it on 360, and now I’m playing everything I can.

2 Likes

Exactly! I tried a few times but finally gave up and said “fuck it, I’ll keep to the right side”. That gave me brain comfort and multiple drifting opportunities.

1 Like

Ooh thanks. Wasn’t sure what those did.
It seems Stability Control is what lets you spin out and drift using gas. So you can have drifting set to brake, but if stability is off, you can still drift with just the R2 button.

Ooooh, enjoy it!! Most Wanted 2012 is pretty darn fun especially with the amount of cars, map size, and cop chases. The fact that they basically managed to port it 1-to-1 on the Vita is impressive.

Hot Pursuit 2010 is also great fun for level-based Need For Speed racing. Either as a cop or racer.

Word of warning however, I feel like the Switch version is harder to control, just based on the joystick quality and size. It’s fun, definitely, and runs pretty well, (though Handheld mode has tiny text you can barely see) but it feels like the cars are a bit harder to control and accurately turn when you want them to, due to the joysticks. I don’t remember feeling this way when I had it on my PS3.

2 Likes

Played Hot Pursuit for like 15 minutes and I already adore this game so much

3 Likes

Congrats, friend! In case you want to enjoy the game more, don’t forget to listen to introduction/description of cars you just unlocked. They are all narrated by a voice that all of us are familiar with! :heart_eyes:

Oh she also voiced the dispatch of cop career too!
Suspect vehicle has been stopped. Good job, 47… I mean officer.

3 Likes

The Heat car collection has one brand I’ve never heard of before… the Polestar. It’s a brand of electric performance cars originating from China. It’s also the yellow car on the cover of the game.

In a crazy coincidence, I saw someone driving a car in my neighbourhood today, one I’ve never seen before.
The car? A Polestar 2. :exploding_head:

2 Likes

The real reason the Switch version is bad, it messes with my collection.

But seriously portable is great

4 Likes

Oh yeah, it’s essentially a sub brand of Volvo. Its name can be found on older high-end performance model of Volvo, such as S60 Polestar. They used to modify Volvo’s models to participate in touring car championships, too. Right now, they are indeed more of an innovative/experimental brand co-owned by Volvo and Geely.

Interesting fact: EA Gothenburg, formerly known as Ghost Games, is the developer of 4 NFS games, including HEAT. Its headquarter is located in Gothenburg, Sweden, which is coincidently where Volvo Cars and Polestar’s headquarters are. I guess it’s a nice way to show some patriotism by collaborating with a national brand. :sweden:

1 Like

I just put together a video that shares my thoughts of Need For Speed Most Wanted and Hot Pursuit. Also discuss Burnout Paradise since they share a developer and similar ideas.

3 Likes

I will get to these soon. I can’t be stopped.

(The other PSP entries are on their way too)

4 Likes

Wow, you’re getting into the 2000’s NFS territory. Excellent! :star_struck: And since you’ve picked up Underground Rivals, you may also want to try out Carbon Own the City someday as well. The game falls into the same underground racing category, but has a unique visual and story presentation that even the main console series don’t have.

There’s a Most Wanted 5-1-0 too, but no rush. You can pick up one at a time. :wink:

1 Like

It’s on its way.
These are all the ones I’ve paid for thanks to eBay.

Capture

Edit: I love that my zoomed out spreadsheet makes Shift look like Shit

4 Likes

Update.

Got Burnout games too.

6 Likes

I really enjoyed Heat, i didn’t played NFS since MW on PS2. The only bad thing on NFS Heat is the soundtrack, it’s horrible, i play without music.

2 Likes

Ha! Turning off the music is almost always one of the first things I do on games like that. The Run had a decent soundtrack but the rest were forgettable.

2 Likes

Glad you enjoy the game as well! I don’t enjoy some of the soundtracks, particularly the rap music played during night races and free roam, but I think I got used to them at some point. There’s still some I like a lot, fitting with the Florida theme that the game boasts. :palm_tree:

The garage music playlist, though, is my favorite! It has some chill music like this one:

I do think the game could use more genres of music though, like Rock or Alternative Rock.

1 Like