Official Death Thread

Thought about posting this, well the actress ‘Sridevi’ was a very eminent bollywood personality having worked in many blockbuster hits. She was in Dubai with her family attending her nephew’s wedding. She did died of drowning but that was before a cardiac arrest and a head injury sustained by hitting the bathtub. She was 54 at the time of her death.

Kind of insensitive, don’t you think?

I wasn’t laughing.

Actually over here we ended up discussing at length how dangerous bathrooms can be.

I was just using the in-game terminology for it.

So today, actor David Odgen Stiers died, at 75. He was notably recognized for his role in Beauty and the Beast as Cogsworth, and as Major Charles Emerson Winchester III on M*A*S*H.

This photo is of Stiers (Left) and Burghoff (Right) in 1977, during production of M*A*S*H.

Fascinating, how history is encapsulated so well in images.

RIP Billy, your memes won’t be forgotten.

A brilliant mind has gone.

Gotta say that, given his physical conditions, he lived and did more than probably many expected at first.

“In 1963, when he was just 21 years old, Hawking was famously diagnosed with the debilitating motor neuron disease amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Though 80 percent of those with ALS die within five years of diagnosis, and Hawking’s own doctors gave him roughly two years to live, he survived for decades.”

This guy lived 53 years longer than doctors predicted. What a badass.

Damn. Hawking was a big influence on me when I was a young science geek.

Another idol gone. :frowning:

Not weird. It is a simple matter of international “protocol”. One of the most controversial norms says that if a man has an important title, his wife must adopt the title to be his equal. But never the other way around. (for example in spain King Felipe VI is married to Queen Leticia, but in the UK since the actual ruler is the woman, then his husband is the Prince Consort because when the woman has an important title her husband is not her equal).

Like I said, weird. And dumb

I’m upset about Stephen Hawking. Such a brilliant mind.

“For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals. Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination. We learned to talk and we learned to listen. Speech has allowed the communication of ideas, enabling human beings to work together to build the impossible. Mankind’s greatest achievements have come about by talking, and its greatest failures by not talking. It doesn’t have to be like this. Our greatest hopes could become reality in the future. With the technology at our disposal, the possibilities are unbounded. All we need to do is make sure we keep talking.”

Hawking (with Vanessa Redgrave) in a march against the Vietnam War, Grosvenor Square, London, 1968.

hawking%20(1)

He was told by doctors he’d die young but he ended up living for another fifty years – and the world was greater for it.

Sad to hear about Stephen Hawking.

No mention of Ken Dodd’s passing in here that I could see?

Probably an acquired taste by contemporary standards, but this man was an incredible performer and funny to the core.

Old joke of his which I’ve probably butchered:

‘The man that invented the cat’s eye had the idea from shining a torch at his cat’s face.
It was lucky the cat was facing him, otherwise he would have invented the pencil sharpener.’

Kinda “funny” that Stephen Hawking died on Pi day. If there’s a God, he has a good sense of humour.

Eh, he’s a British guy, our ‘Pi’ day is 31st of April as our date is written day/month/year.

He was however born on the anniversary of the death of Galileo and died on the anniversary of the birth of Einstein which is pretty cool.

There.

Unbelievable what this man achieved pretty sure he was told he wouldn’t see age 24, 52 years on he’d conquered more than most could of dreamt of! RIP!

An inspector from the Dutch education ministry arrived at Johan van Hulst’s teacher training institute in Amsterdam on the morning of June 19, 1943. He noticed youngsters and, with SS soldiers standing nearby, asked, “Are those Jewish children?”

“You don’t really expect me to answer that, do you?” Dr. van Hulst replied.

Grave of the Fireflies is the greatest film to come out of Studio Ghibli (sorry Miyazaki sensei) for the sheer emotional impact. everyone who has experienced that film is left in an ocean of tears. Truly great filmmaker.

This track just says everything, about stupid wars, innocent kids who have lost their lives, families that were torn apart. A must watch.

I’m a bit late, but it hasn’t been mentioned yet.
Keyboard Cat died :cry:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/mar/20/bento-keyboard-cat-youtube-dies