Poll: Would you pay a $30 USD yearly subscription service for Hitman if you were guaranteed to receive a brand new location map every 3 months for your $30 USD?

I’d rather have new maps and modes than a James Bond project…

2 Likes

IMO, it depends what the James Bond game is like. Is it a hardcore stealth game? Is it a replayable sandbox type game? Or is it shit? Who knows, i certainly don’t.

I’m not a fan of subscriptions, but a standalone purchase is something I would consider.

No. For me it is Quality over Quantity. I’d rather have just one more good additional map rather than four lower quality maps each year.

Setting up any kind of rapid map creation is going to sacrifice quality and we will end up with a glut of mediocre locations.

The WoA trilogy already has 22 maps, with several variations on many of those maps. If this was HITMAN (2016) , then… maybe. But with three games worth of maps and their variants, there is no need to churn out multiple maps on a regular basis.

At best I’d say do more variants on existing location (preferably on maps with no current variations) and maybe 1 new each year (give or take) for the remainder of the WoA trilogy’s lifespan.

4 Likes

I voted Yes, but I know that a new map every 3 months is unrealistic - maybe even impossible if we want them to be good maps.

I honestly would be fine with one regular snow-based map, one Sniper Assassin map, and a few Bonus Missions (maybe 2 or 3, depending on what maps IOI would pick). Obviously we’d get Mastery Unlocks with the new maps and maybe an item Challenge or two here and there.

I’d gladly pay $30, or even more for just that.

I waited for a sale for Seven Deadly Sins because they were just Escalations, and I say that as someone who likes Escalations. I’d gladly pay full price for Bonus Missions and new maps.

4 Likes

Change the way “accidents” work and make mastery not take about a thousand runs and I’ll agree with this. As it is, I agree with the rest of your sentiments but for the sniper maps? :face_vomiting:

semi related: I know some people are super good at sniping so they probably don’t know or worry about this but in the regular maps if a body that has been sniped is found the guards know EXACTLY where the shot came from; I wouldn’t mind if they went back and tweaked that and would probably prefer it to this hypothetical subscription based map service

2 Likes

I’d probably pay $30 a year for even just 3 maps.

The quality would have to stay high though. Not every map is gonna be everyone’s fav, but when IO puts the time and effort in their results are incredible. We have all been fans long enough that we can tell when something was rushed or simply didn’t work as intended (plate carrying non opportunity in Marrakesh for example). I’d also offer this, perhaps we don’t need a bunch of new unlocks anymore? I’m fine with them not giving us a new reskin of the hardballer. Do some suit colour swaps or simply just skip it.

4 Likes

I know. I agree with you. I’ve personally requested the Mastery XP reduction myself in the past. I only did Mastery 20 on Siberia, and that was a slog. I only managed to do Mastery 15 on the other two.

In terms of accidents, I agree with you too. I think accidents in the Sniper Assassin game mode are pointless the way they are implemented now.

1 Like

2 Likes

I’d rather pay $30 for a pass/pack containing 3 maps to be honest. I’d keep on paying that for however long they kept releasing them

3 Likes

it took them several months for them to prepare ambrose islans

It was in development since early 2021.

im talking about the time for ioi to make a considerably good quality map

This is a good idea theoretically but I don’t think it’s feasible. Simply put I don’t think this community is big enough for 30 dollars a year from all of us to afford the resources needed to make a fully fleshed out map every 3 months.

In fairness I have absolutely zero game development experience and most of my opinion is coming from a side comment I heard a dev say on a speed run video about how Dubai took like 9(?) months to make on its own.

And for me, Dubai is a great example of a fully fleshed out map

1 Like

I don’t think the question really hinged on it being feasible. There are 5936 users on this forum, not all of whom are active, and not all of whom would pay the subscription, but even if every single one did, that’s still about 178,000 a year. That’s just barely enough to pay two developers. Even if they were working full time, they probably couldn’t actually put out 4 quality maps a year, with mission stories, unlocks, cinematics, plot threads, etc.

2 Likes

yeah ioi might as well make new maps at random intervals and release it for a cost, someone would rather pay for a quality map than a shitty one

It occurs to me that this whole hypothetical situation is reminiscent of what IO was going for back in 2016. It’s not exactly apples to apples but it’s certainly eerily familiar. Further proof that fans/consumers/people don’t know what the hell they want… :man_shrugging:

That’s assuming that only forum members play Hitman and the leaderboards indicate that’s not the case. Forum members may be generally more hardcore in their abilities but the casuals, who vastly outnumber forum members, might be more willing to buy season passes/subscriptions/DLC. Or they might not, who can say?

TL;DR your premise is flawed but I agree that the hypothetical scenario would be likely to run into financial difficulties.

1 Like

Yes and no, since the content was already years in the making before the release of the game, and the only maps that really needed much more work were the last maps 3 maps of the season, especially Colorado which went into a complete redesign

Of course it is, but that wasn’t the point. It was just that the amount of money made probably wouldn’t actually pay for the costs. I have absolutely no idea how many people would really pay yearly. I just doubt it would be enough.

1 Like

A success of a subscription service would depend on the number of existing owners of Hitman 3 who would buy into a pay to play of new content.

Hitman 3 was the most successful game from the franchise and that the entire World of Assassination trilogy had reached 50 million players.

If even a small fraction, say 1% of the 50 million players, paid $20 USD for new content, that would be $10 million dollars to pay for development of content.

2 Likes