Songs you LOVE (but are afraid to admit it)

Come on, we’ve all got at least one…don’t we? A song we’ll crank up when we’re alone but would never play around friends or family. Maybe from a tv show or movie that we’re also embarrassed about liking. Or a genre or era that catches a lot of grief.

Well I’ve got a few but I’ll preface by saying I proudly love country and 80’s rock and pop. What I’m embarrassed to admit to is liking ABBA and the Bee Gees. One day surfing Youtube I came across this great cover of the Bee Gees hit “Tragedy” performed by a British group called Steps. Loved it (and they’re not hard to look at either. So what’s YOUR secret jam?

2 Likes

Do you like Phil Collins? I’ve been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn’t understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins’ presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group’s undisputed masterpiece. It’s an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don’t you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I’ve heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole. Phil Collins’ solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don’t just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

5 Likes

I just heard it two days ago and I’ve been listening to it since.

2 Likes

Shitty 2010’s pop band. I find the song catchy as shit, though.

In before I’m banned from playing music in the discord chat now because I enjoy this song

2 Likes
22 Likes

Yup, Phil Collins/Genesis is pretty great. Nothing I would be ashamed to admit there. I couple others I distinctly remember listening to around that time - Loverboy and REO Speedwagon (still listen to REO sometimes).

@EricTheAussie, that is pretty catchy. Kinda the same flavor as a few other songs I’d have on my list.

Brian from Family Guy did a nice job with “Never Gonna Give You Up” too!

:pensive:

2 Likes

Hate to admit but here they are:

3 Likes

@borek921, Avril is awesome (and gorgeous). Always liked her personality. Never owned any of her music but was aware of and enjoyed some of her songs. Never heard of her Hello Kitty. Nice pick!

@SayaRin, love those first 2 mixes! California Dreamin is just classic chill.

Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Yeah man I had a crazy crush on her in my youth (not that I’m old now, 24, but when I was in elementary school etc), she is really beautiful, I still drool when I stumble upon her pic on the internet :stuck_out_tongue: she has that kind of beauty that no matter how old she is she always looks like she’s 18 y/o bad skater girl.

1 Like

Edit: It was my little brother posting this

7 Likes

I can’t help myself. It IS catchy…

1 Like

Anybody old enough to remember this? I used to LOVE the episodes when the Brady kids sang. God I’m old.

2 Likes

I know every lyric to the first 3 Limp Bizkit albums and don’t give a fuck what anyone thinks.

3 Likes

@borek921 sk8er boi is awesome.
@FantumX i like ABBA too

2 Likes

This probably would be great for “Piss off Hitmanforum in one sentence”:

Black Bandana is dope.

Also, I usually hesitate to mention (or just don’t) that my favorite music is orchestral classical music. The great Russian composers were in a league of their own…

1 Like
4 Likes

Omg forgot all about that song. Nice addition @tobiasrieper.48

1 Like

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it. One of my favourites that one, but christ is it awful :smiley:

1 Like