Is Elusive Target "Arcade" no more...?

This “fully replayable” debate feels a lot like it’s arguing semantics and everyone is using their own private definition.

If fully replayable means “I can play any Elusive Target whenever I want without any restrictions, timers, complications, or anything else outside of the original Elusive Target as released”, then no, the Elusive Target arcade missions are not “fully replayable”

but if it means (as I think everyone else on this forum is using the term) “I can play an Elusive Target mission as often as I like”, as opposed to the way that normal Elusive Targets work where if you fail you can never play it again, then they are absolutely “fully replayable”.

As long as everyone is using different definitions for the same term, you’ll never come to an agreement.

6 Likes

even the definition you’re using doesn’t apply because there’s a cooldown so you can’t play as often as you like!

1 Like

I’m not using any definition. My point is that as long as this discussion can’t agree on a single definition, there’s no point in discussing it.

imo all the need to do to “fix” The Fixer is remove some of the fail conditions (like they did with The Chameleon which no longer requires an accident kill) on the courier and the shopkeeper that holds the diamonds. This gives you two choices - go for speed and risk KOing shopkeepers that don’t have the diamonds and possibly losing SA when bodies are found or go for accuracy and wait by following the courier as you would with it now.

Probably because Y2 was intended to comprise of the Arcade, Ambrose Island and Freelancer, but Freelancer kept getting pushed back because they got more ambitious with what they wanted to do with it. The plan was more than likely to wrap up H3 after Y2 and then repackage it as WoA and then just let it be from there with minimal/no updates beyond that.

The Freelancer delays are probably the main reason we got a Year 3 considering that the year has been very underwhelming compared to previous years. So rather than creating more Arcade contracts than they had intended just to pad out Y3, the ended the Arcade as originally planned and then started adding new challenges and unlocks to the game monthly to take its place.

4 Likes

I support this theory.

…I don’t recall that ever changing? Even in ETA, I’m pretty sure that always stayed.

I’ll gladly be proven wrong on this, btw

Discussions that hit brick walls tend not to advance, so yeah, probably best to leave it.

This is why I STILL play No Man’s Sky. The game was released in 2016 and they are still releasing content. Like major game changing patches and live content ALL for free.

I just hope hitman still has something more (big) to be released. Maybe add the other maps like patient zero and bonus maps (like AHBOS) to freelancer.

1 Like

Not likely. The biggest update we’re likely to get are Sarajevo Six, maybe some new Freelancer types, although that grows more doubtful as the year goes on, and hopefully full access ETs and offline play. Beyond that, I think WoA has run its course as far as content.

1 Like

Believe it or not, this discussion and the input is helping me catch up on some of the things that I’ve missed about the game.

I hope at least Y3 ETs includes all of the previous targets minus the ones with the actual movie actors.

Speaking of which, who was the actor ET after Gary Busey and before Sean Bean (×2)? THX

I don’t believe there was such an ET. I’m pretty sure Bean and Busey were the only ETs played by famous actors, in addition to playing themselves as targets. There was another actor in the Busey mission, but he wasn’t a target, so I don’t think he counts.

Now, there were some ETs that resembled certain celebrities in either appearance or somewhat in backstory, like the Sensation seeming to be a dark stand-in for Justin Bieber, the Liability kinda looking like Toby Jones, and the Revolutionary vaguely resembling actor John Amos from Die Hard 2, if he had an eyepatch and facial scars. But beyond that…

You’re thinking about Gary Cole? He was in the same Elusive Target as Gary Busey. From what I know, there was a contest when that was released to determine which Gary would actually be the target. Gary Cole was the guy who played Lumbergh in Office Space.

3 Likes

Yeah, Gary Cole. Too bad we can’t have these actor missions in ET Arcade. Image and likeness issues I suppose…

Maybe that, but certainly their recorded voices.

This is the “3 ways to play” that OutsideXbox did of that Elusive Target back in 2016.

At one point in the playthrough both Gary’s are just standing there screaming at each other. It’s pretty funny.

4 Likes

It’s still in the briefing, but apparently no longer a requirement/fail condition. I never tried a non-accident kill on him though, not even in the ETA.

I may be misremembering, but I think when they made the complications optional in the Arcade (due to the large number of complaints) they made that one optional too. It’s still there, but it’s no longer required.

That makes sense. Which means it’s optional in the Arcade, but required for the actual ET?

That is my assumption. For the “real” Elusive Target in Year 3 it would still be required.

Nah it definitely changed. I definitely recall killing him with explosives and fibrewire within the Arcade and it didn’t fail.

Diana’s dialogue at the start of the mission still refers to the requirement though.

Okay, to clarify, I was referring to the ET run, not the ETA run. Still, i’m surprised it’s optional in the latter.

Thank you everyone =)