:Coffee: The Break Room - The Work, School, College Thread

A thread dedicated to talking about your work lives, your school days, or perhaps your current adventures in pursuing higher education.

Work and school often pop up in the What’s New? thread and I wanted a more relaxed and casual space to talk about more minor and annoying problems, to compliment our Sessions with Lafayette thread, which is dedicated to serious issues.

Effectively, a space where you can whinge, talk some trash, or perhaps had a genuinely good day at where you reside when you aren’t playing Hitman. Talk about your worries or your stress, or just talk about the extremely minor things that really aggravate you.

12 Likes

If this is more casual, does anyone have tips for sleeping better? I don’t have insomnia but i’ve been having a harder time falling asleep lately.

1 Like

I plan to pursue a degree in education, because it doesn’t take an obscene amount of time, and it’s one of the better degrees out there (and isn’t going to cost me a fucking organ). Now, I’m extremely intelligent for my age, and I’ve always been an underachiever who still gets fine grades.

2 Likes

I’m hopefully gonna pursue my history at one of the UL university, hopefully King’s College and I wouldn’t mind doing something along the lines of the Soviet Union or the inbetween war period for Germany. Still it’s early days so I am not worrying too much :slight_smile:

1 Like

Old politicians with terminal cancer of the everything dying and nobody keeping radical parties in check, combined with an incredibly fucking stupid president, there, that’s the colossal failure of the Weimar Republic summed up for you.

1 Like

Stresemann had a bit of swag doe

2 Likes

Oh, absolutely, Stresemann was amazing. Unfortunately, he had a stroke and died in 1929, and that’s when everything really went to shit.

1 Like

There could be a variety of reasons. It helps me to tire myself out physically throughout the day, limit exposure to light before bedtime and focus on how good the bed feels, how heavy my body feels, etc. basically something to replace the rumination.

Put the phone/laptop/electronics down half an hour before going to bed.

Take a cold shower. I know it sounds like it would wake you up, but when you’re tired, it has the opposite effect. James Bond shower is even better.

As for work, i’m not working at the moment, but was a chef for 2 years.
Worked myself up from dishie, to breakfast cook, line cook, then sous. I fulfilled my dream i feel like. Cooked at the best restaurant in town, was valued by the owners and head chef, made amazing food people were happy with.

I’m done with catering though and using my downtime to learn new things. Just finished a small IT course, which is more of a formality, but also waiting to start a nutritional course and build on that more in the future.

7 Likes

Umm, the lady is not gonna sleep well… :smirk:

Oh wait, this isn’t the Skyfall scene, is it?

2 Likes

Consuming sugar around early evening wouln’t let you sleep because sugar means energy to your body.
Your body will “think” that you are about to do something to spend that energy.
Drink a tea and read somewhere in the web what tea you can brew as long as it would make you tired.
I would prefer a tea instead of some kind of pills that would help me to get asleep.

3 Likes

I know this is off-topic, but doesn’t tea contain caffeine? I love to drink tea, too, but it will make me not want to sleep. :thinking:

I’m likely to receive my notice of redundancy on Thursday. It is between myself and the two other members of my team, but I have the least favourable relationship with our boss, so I know that it is almost certainly my head in the chopping block. Nothing we’ve done wrong; the company is an absolute joke and have made terrible decisions, and so now need to cut costs.

I won’t miss it, I’m just hoping that the skills and experience I have gained will help me secure another role sooner rather than later.

Also, ironically, a huge part of my job is to create CV’s for people, and would like to think that I have become very good at it. If anybody would like a critical eye cast over their own CV, and some suggestions offered, I’d be glad to help. PM me.

7 Likes

@ Yellow_ZR1
Yes, but that doesn’t matter.
It’s because of the tannic acid, it’s gets unfolded by brewing a tea for a longer time.
Tannic acid has a reassuringly effect, if consumed

Letting a tea brew over five minutes would make you tired,
letting a tea brew for around three minutes would make you more active.

2 Likes

Yo, tea brewing is a dangerous game.

4 Likes

Green and black tea yes, white tea and honeybush or fruit tea usually less or none…not sure about jasmine and oolong. Jasmine makes me super hyper, so I stay away from it :joy::see_no_evil:

3 Likes

Generally recommended for good sleep are herbal ones - like lemon balm or chamomile tea, those are supposed to be calming and no caffeine. (But they taste like ass :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

1 Like

I can assure you oolong is definitely gonna make one remain conscious, so you will want to stay away from it, too. :wink:

1 Like

Even if it’s also tasts bad, you can add a small piece of ginger into the tea.
I have always a root of ginger in my fridge.
And if a tea really tasts that bad, you can put in some honey.
And after drinking a lot of variations of tea, even the bad ones, I can say you get used to it.
Bad taste shouldn’t be a problem, sometimes the problem is more that people won’t drinkt tea continuously and then they are wondering themself why a “bad habbit” makes a return.
Honestly get rid of every limonade, because there is nothing good in such products.

1 Like

I don’t drink limonades or any sweet drinks, at all. I’m used to drinking tea (honestly, it’s the only thing i drink besides water, sencha is a goddamn addiction). I tried lemon balm and chamomile tea continuously, when had problems sleeping, but that particular taste just isn’t for me, no matter how much i tried to “better” their taste with other things. But they did help me with sleep, it’s just that i had to force them down my throat every time. :laughing:

3 Likes