The Money System (that never came to be)

https://www.behance.net/gallery/73009677/Hitman-2-Pre-Production

19 Likes

Such a shame that wasn’t included in release

That’s a great feature :+1:
I hope this will be somehow implemented back into the series.

from all the Things that didn’t made it into the Game, this is the most disappointing for me.

1 Like

Would have been cool i you could pay in Gold coins a la John Wick

Personally I always thought the money system was a bad idea and didn’t work in the other games. So frankly, that it got scraped from WOA

5 Likes

gmghq6y9exvnm67tjtbz

@cake941 do you know why they’ve scrapped it? Is there any other reason than just to play with my heart? :sneezing_face:

1 Like

they probably determined that the best way to encourage replayability was through Mastery tracks and not currency. i would prefer currency, but from a game design perspective i understand that they wanna encourage replayability more instead of immersion

2 Likes

why not have both? you would first unlock it with mastery and then purchase it. if you leave it on the level then you’d have to buy it again, for example. same for suits, agency pickups and other starting locations. as well as bribe people if you had witnesses and stuff. the notoriety could have been implemented by simply making some people suit (or all disguise?) enforcers. in the end, it’d be a perfect combo of c47 and bm systems.

another idea for notoriety is to be used in contracts as a difficulty setting of sorts but that’s a different topic

5 Likes

It’s like opening old wounds…
https://youtu.be/sYPrBZFGkMM
Wish IO would have found a balance between how the money system worked in C47 and BM but since there are no weapons that can be upgraded, no weapons to be bought since everything simply unlocked by playing missions and no notoriety system in place… yeah, it was an easy chop.

1 Like

Because you would either have more than enough money and it would become redundant OR you’d have to do dumb grinding just to earn money just to get a specific speedrun done (with the speedrun taking hundreds of attempts).

Glad it didn’t make it into the game, flawed system

4 Likes

no. what’s the problem with having enough money? they could always just add some random suits/weapon skins etc. costing millions or whatever so that you have a goal but still keep getting big enough rewards not to discourage trying new stuff out. in the other case why would restarting the mission from a pause screen deduct money?

It becomes redundant and pointless.

You either have more than enough to unlock all of those, or it becomes an incredible long and boring grind just to unlock a certain skin. Just no

It’s either having to grind to earn enough to buy it again and/or an extra click to buy it everytime. Unneccessary and annoying, just timewasting.

It’s simply a flawed system

2 Likes

It would only slightly add to “immersion” and even from that pov its flawed: 47 would already have earned more than enough money to buy everything he wants throughout his career + ICA would already provide its best assassin with all the tools he needs (ICA having even way more money than 47)

It’s flawed from an immersion pov, and even more flawed from a gameplay pov. It’s simply not needed and adds nothing but annoyance.

3 Likes

It made sense in C47 which was a more story-focused, atmospheric, basically linear game. I don’t see a place for the money system in recent installments though.

2 Likes

When trying to fit it in the already existing system, it surely has some flaws. But it could work if the whole system is built while keeping in mind. Of course, you might still dislike it, but that’s a different problem.

is it a grind just to play the game? you’re obviously not doing that only for suits, are you?

that’s what balance is for.
why would you need some extra clicks when the money is deducted when you start the mission and you just choose from the loadout screen like you do now? it’s exactly the way it has always worked in the old games

And it has always been flawed and added absolutely nothing

2 Likes

well, that’s just not true. if you played bad enough in c47, you couldn’t buy proper tools to continue the game

1 Like

Added nothing but annoyance

2 Likes