The Partners - Interesting Intel

I doubt that we’re going to kill of The Constant in the second mission. He’s the most prominent bad guy, having appeared long before the Partners. Not to mention that the Haven cut scene revealed that he betrayed the Partners and has his own agenda. Either him or Grey (or both) is going to be the final target. And if it’s Grey, then he’s going to be the target of the second-to-last mission.

2 Likes

If the Constant did indeed recruit the Shadow Client, then I think the conversation would go something like:
Edwards:Lower the gun, Mister Grey. I’m not here to harm you.”
Grey: “That pin you wear says otherwise. Providence sent you to clean up their mess.”
Edwards:On the contrary, they’re unaware you even exist. Ortmeyer himself assigned you as dead.
Grey: “To die, you must first live.”
Edwards:He died, you know. Killed by his own creation, his own ‘son’. In a way, it’s oddly poetic.
Grey: “I saw the funeral. Through binoculars.”
Edwards:Hmm. Did it take away your pain, to know he was dead?
Grey: “You cannot begin to comprehend the concept of my pain. I suffer with every breath I take, knowing that these lungs are not my own. This life is artificial. I’m not a person. I’m a product.”
Edwards:Providence - "
Grey: " - Providence has decided my fate since before I was born. Stripped my life of purpose. Of meaning. They have authored for me an existence of eternal suffering. How could you possibly understand? You belong in this world.”
Edwards:Then help me stop them.”
Grey: “What? It’s impossible. Providence manages the world. If they imploded, the black hole would consume all of civilization.”
Edwards:Not if I take control. The Partners have forgotten how hunger feels. They’ve become complacent, and corrupt. I can render them powerless, but I need your help. I need you to find your brother, Ortmeyer’s favorite, and manoeuver them into giving me the reins. All their control, all their money, all their power.
Grey: “You sound like you’ve made this deal before.”
Edwards:I have once. Near the turn of the new millennium.
Grey: (skeptical) “And what do I get in return if I help you take over Providence? A cut of the profits? Your paper is worthless to me.”
Edwards:I’ll take away your pain, Lucas.
Grey: “What…?”
Edwards:Ortmeyer’s amnesiac compounds have been improved since his death. We can now tailor which memories to remove.
Grey: “You can…make me forget…? Make me forget who I am? What I am?”
Edwards:Blue pill or red pill, I can make it all go away. I can erase the unloved child who’s known nothing but death and misery. Lucas. I can heal you…
Grey: “And 47?”
Edwards:He has no pain. He can’t remember what they did to him in the asylum. He thinks he’s human.”
Grey: “How did he lose his memory?”
Edwards:You asked me if I’d made this deal before.
Grey: “47…?”
Edwards:He doesn’t feel a thing.”

Sorry if the dialogue is terrible and doesn’t completely fit with the lore :sweat_smile:

He smells like the ashes of the man he could’ve been.

7 Likes

The characterisation in this game, frankly, is pretty poor. A good target pops up once in a while, like Caruso or Cross, but they mostly come off as bland and underdeveloped. Like archetypes, rather than fleshed-out characters. As though they were in a fanmade game written on the forums.

We mostly don’t care since they’re one-offs, but when a target interests us and comes up short of characterisation, it’s quite disappointing.

Like Penelope Graves, for example. She is a likeable target we don’t really want to skill, that’s for sure. But that’s about it. She has one opportunity, hardly interacts with the rest of the militia, we don’t even know what exactly drove her to betray Interpol. No mentions of family, friends, lovers, colleagues. We don’t how Grey got her to switch, how long he had her on her side or anything else not spelt out on her profile.

And on from an overly sympathetic character to an overly unsympathetic one: Erich Soders. A green-eyed jackass in the past, a full-on traitor in the present. But we never see the reasons why he was such a pathetic, jealous man in the past, or why he wants to continuing living in the present. He could be an egomaniac, perhaps. Or maybe he has a spouse or child he has to live for.

1 Like

Yes, you’re right! In hindsight, I don’t think characterization has been great in the past games either, but that’s probably because we didn’t have the same character-building avenues as we now have (mission stories, overheard dialogue, recovered intel). But yes, some of the characters look and sound really cool, but in the level, they just feel like generic NPCs when they’re not doing one of their two special dialogues.
I liked Caruso and Janus because I think their characters were the most developed, but many of the others don’t have the characterization. Soders was kinda disappointing because there was so much potential but he spends the whole level on the operating table :confused: I was interested to see how a retired master assassin would handle an attempt on his life, and if he had some tricks that would hinder 47 - especially as he knows all of 47’s skills. And I wanted to learn more about him through his dialogues, because he seemed so mysterious in Greenland. AND! Soders is the highest ranking member of the ICA we’ve ever encountered, so it was a treat to ‘meet’ him, but he’s pretty much non-responsive! :imp:

TL;DR If you met most of the targets, you could guess the clichés of their characters based on the way they said “Hello” :confused:

Why can’t he just not want to die? :smile:

I have a feeling that this game is going to be the chronological end of the Hitman series (though the gaps between the Seasons, Absolution and Blood Money can be filled in). 47’s already pretty old and IOI raised the stakes to a ridiculously epic level with these Illuminati and long-lost brother plots. And if it’s all ending in Season 3, well, I can’t see how they can resolve all the plots, even in 8 missions. I think there will be a Downer Ending, 47 and/or Diana dying before taking down Providence or being betrayed by Grey or each other.

Don’t worry I am sure a new shadowy heretofore unknown organisation is lurking out there in the shadows to or another random clone or vengeful relative out there.

3 Likes

Six missions are more than enough to finish the plot. Even if there’s one mission for each of the Partners, the Constant and possibly Grey there’s still one mission left.

We’re probably going to kill the Partners and other important Providence members in the first missions and then chase after the Constant until Grey’s sudden but inevitable betrayal setting up the very final mission.

And as far as ridiculousness goes: The first game had a mad scientist creating his own clone army, the second game had a Russian arms dealer who wanted to steal and sell an atomic bomb and Blood Money had a rival assassination agency with Albino clones who wanted to kill the US President as part of a plane to ensure that no-one else has access to cloning technology.

A cabal of rich money makers trying to manipulate events in their favor so that they stay/become more powerful and rich isn’t that far-fetched all things considered.

7 Likes

Against the ultimate mastermind of the plot Carlton Smith!

7 Likes

I was worried about this too. I remember when they announced a sequel to Blood Money (which became Absolution) and I thought “a secretive cabal manipulating the presidential elections? How will they top that?” and the answer was to go backwards and downscale it. So maybe the next game will just have a set of minor missions in the US because they’ve bitten off more than they can chew?
Personally I liked this to be the start of a new era, the post-Providence era. I think IOI could do something really original here by exploring themes of a world after the Illuminati. The unnoticed freedom and increase free will, but also the lack of direction and harshest independence.

4 Likes

Oh so we are all cursing his sudden and inevitable betrayal? Because that is exactly what is wrong with it, I always felt there was little evidence he was going to betray us. it was because I knew how IO would use Grey that I knew he would betray us, die or both.

1 Like

Downscale it? I highly doubt a centuries old secret organisation that uses an intricate web of wealth businessmen and elite politicians is a downscale from The Franchise.

No more USA missions! Please according to the UN the world has 190 plus nation states pick some of those.

Really? because I like the idea of 47 and co just failing to take down Providence at all or they reform anyway and they are either locked in a forever war or slowly concede to Providence as assets to be used in “maintenance”. I think that is slightly more original or at least more realistic than the ragtag heroes taking down the Illuminati.

No no, you misunderstand me. I mean going from the Franchise and Alpha Zerox to Blake Dexter, whose sphere of influence was…a remote town…?

I agree it would be more realistic to assimilate with or alter Providence instead of destroy them, but this is mass media, most of the audience aren’t going to be happy without a satisfying ending. Though I wouldn’t mind a more thought-provoking one! Perhaps as a society we can’t live without Providence, because it’s an integral part of our society. The backbone of our way of life.

But America is the only country that matters. It is the main character in the world’s story, and everywhere else are just extras :slight_smile:

Oh sorry I think I did misunderstand you. But I would like to point out Blake is a wealthy man in an industry that is deeply entrenched with America’s politics and culture. He has the pull at least the same as a Franchise cell with added luxury of being more overt in how he does things. Maybe not the whole Franchise shebang though.

Who cares? Plenty of stories that have unsatisfying endings like Brazil, Red Dead Redemption or 1984 all are classics in their mediums with unique thought provoking endings.

This is a niche franchise and most people who play the games only really care about the gameplay. So long as it is coherent and doesn’t fuck with 47’s established character many wouldn’t care about the direction of the story.

They might matter more but I am sick of going to America it is the most visited nation in the series by my count. With Russia being a distant second with Colombia tying with the Federation. (Counting Russia in C:47 and Contracts since I think all the missions both take place in the same areas since they are remakes)

Blake Dexter had a failing arms manufacturer that lost its US contracts and had to market its proximity mines to the home defense market! The arms dealer waiting to meet with him at the factory implies he’s a has-been who has fallen from grace, and Layla says they’re in dire need of cash before they go broke. Dexter might have had that kind of influence before, but now not worthy of 47’s attention.

I wonder if the next game shouldn’t have a plot at all? Just 47 globetrotting and taking on lots of missions. Well, 6 :smile: I think if you plotted 47’s missions on a map, there would be whole regions untouched (we visited Africa for the first time in HITMAN 2016!) but the US would be lit up like a Christmas tree!

Really? I didn’t know that mostly because I have a patented system of disinterest in non-game materials and mnemonic repression of the in-game story that inhibits my knowledge of Absolution.

No. It will be a checklist, a formality if you will.

A Malaria Eke Insult You. :upside_down_face:

Like the Earth from space there is America and the places America ignores or ruins.

Are those just random words thrown in no particular order?

Okay this is turning into mindless insults now, so I bid you goodbye :slight_smile:

No it is my only request I want IO to take on board but I ran it through an anagram website. Because there is so many ways I can say it before I sound like a skipping record.

How dare you call my insults mindless! Do you know how insulting that is to my insults! Oh yeah I didn’t mean to insult you.

I was reading this whole thread again, because it’s one of the things it interests me the most facing the upcoming Hitman 3 and this answer made me think that it’s obvious that 47 would not kill Edwards and Grey if it’s not personal or if it’s not an order. Therefore that makes me think that even if there’s a betrayal, there must be something else to ignite 47. That leaves me with:

1 - they kill Diana and that’s personal for 47 as he’s starting to be more human and understanding what he caused to Diana and how close to her he was.

2 - instead of that, Diana is the traitor along with Grey (she looks “comfortable” with him and i think that 47 has high chances of being manipulated, since he’s the most skilled hitman but he has affective problems that could led him to think it was worthwile to pursue that “searching about the past” thing) and then if 47 is alone it makes more sense to feel that he needs to get rid off of all that people (maybe olivia is his new best friend, since i think she’s also being set up)

3 - none of that happens and we never kill Grey since he dies off camera or something else happens (it wouldn’t be the first time IO discards a very high-tension plot to uncover something even bigger that’s happening behind that first plot) that makes Grey not important.

4 - 47 wants to buy IO to force them to create a remake of Blood Money, Silent Assassin, Codename 47, etc. in the new Hitman engine and he needs all the partners money so he’ll not stop until he gets it.

6 Likes

I spat up my drink when I read this. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :joy:

3 Likes

Grey probably intends to kill 47 to stop his only threat to power