šŸ–– The Star Trek Thread

I guess it always annoyed me how he talked to Tā€™Pol. I mean, I guess Trip is very much meant to be Enterpriseā€™s version of McCoy, the one who is very much guided by emotions, but in Enterprise, it comes across as Trip being not very smart and just being stubborn. Something SF Debris brings up in his Enterprise reviews that I agree with, it felt like the show, at least in the beginning, seemed to love strawmanning the Vulcans so that Archer could prove them wrong in several episodes and show off how awesome humanity.

Again though, I do need to watch Enterprise properly eventually. This is coming off from the various random episodes Iā€™ve seen and stuff Iā€™ve seen about the show online.

I donā€™t keep up with the Trek fandom and how they catergorise things, but it does seem like Lower Decks is meant to be canon. It takes place after Nemesis and before Romulus is destroyed, and so far hasnā€™t really done anything to contradict other Trek, that I know of. Itā€™s actually interesting regarding Riker because him being the captain of the Titan is something that ofcourse happens at the end of Nemesis. Apparently a series of Trek books were written about Riker and his adventures as captain of the Titan, with the book covers showing off what the Titan looked like. Apparently Riker turning up in Lower Decks in the Titan makes that officially canon now.

Iā€™ve always been more of a Trekkie than a Star Wars fan. My preferred era is the Next Generation era that encompassed the three series of the 80s and 90s. Deep Space Nine is the best in the franchise and Iā€™ll defend it to the death, although NG had better characters with Picard, Data, the Borg, and Q. Gul Dukat of DS9 is the best Trek villain ever (Khan can suck it).

1 Like

Yeah Iā€™m mostly the same, although DS9 isnā€™t quite my favourite. Lower Decks for me really helps scratch that era of Trek itch. My big hope now is that Strange New Worlds is going to be a more return to classical Trek, rather than the edgier stuff of Discovery and Picard.

In terms of news, Discovery is getting a 5th season, Picard is getting a 3rd season which I think has basically been confirmed to the last, Lower Decks is getting a 4th season, Prodigy is getting a 2nd season, and Strange New Worlds will get a 2nd season before the first has even aired. Apparently that Section 31 spin-off that has been in development hell is still kicking about. News about a spin-off centered on Starfleet Academy is in the works.

Just watched the first episode of ā€œStrange New Worldsā€ and really liked it. It has the feel of what I always considered ā€œrealā€ Star Trek. Itā€™s hopeful, light and breezy, and not action centric, but instead deals with ideas.
The intro for the show also reveals a ā€œback to basicsā€ approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndtCicnVvbc&ab_channel=UniversoStarTrek

I wasnā€™t overly happy with an early sequence on Vulcan and how it portrays Spock and Vulcans in general, but otherwise I felt the episode was on point.

Anson Mount is a great actor, and plays a great Star Trek Captain.
Thereā€™s a speech by Captain Pike near the end of the episode that I really loved, and reminded me a bit of the good olā€™ Picard speeches.

Good times. Hopefully the show will keep this up, and be successful.

4 Likes

Paramount Plus is launching in the UK on June 22nd, so I have to wait until then to watch Strange New Worlds and catch up on Prodigy. Still, it is great to hear so much positive buzz about the show.

1 Like

Paramount+ saw fit to offer me a free month, so I started in on Strange New Worlds .

Iā€™m only two episodes in and itā€™s already infinitely better than STD or Picard. The cast is actually likable, Anson Mount has the makings of a great captain and thereā€™s a nice streak of Rodenberry-style thoughtfulness and optimism that gives the show some nice weight to ground the adventure. Two episodes in and thereā€™s already been Prime Directive repercussions and an honest-to-goodness space mystery. :smiley:

Itā€™s frickinā€™ classic Trek updated for the 2020s the way that TNG was updated for the 80sā€¦the way that Discovery should have been five years ago.

I think I might finally be able to finish a season of modern Trek. :grin:

3 Likes

Itā€™s 9 episodes in now, and Iā€™m still invested. It is a traditional ST-series in that it has hits and misses, so itā€™s not all goldā€¦ but when itā€™s good itā€™s good.

3 Likes

Watched the 6 episodes of Strange New Worlds on Paramount+ that are currently available in the UK. Yeah, not sure what to say that hasnā€™t already been said: I really enjoyed it. I donā€™t hate Discovery Seasons 1 and 2, but I donā€™t think they are good Trek or good TV in general. So for Trek to do something that is back to basics, and in the process prove that the Trek episodic formula is not out of date and can be relevant is pretty gratifying, not going to lie. Yeah, the show might be a tad too safe, and I do worry its prequel status means that it could perhaps never become too risky, but for a first season? Iā€™m having a very fun time, the 6 episodes have all been various shades of great, and I just love this cast of characters and want to see more of them. As somebody who doesnā€™t actually have that much nostalgia for TOS, I only watched TOS a few years ago, my nostalgia is routed with the movies, TNG, Voyager, itā€™s surprising how much SNW just delivers on mostly what I would want from Trek.

Going to watch Prodigy next. Would be awesome if I enjoy that as much as SNW and Lower Decks. And then I guess I might move onto Discovery Seasons 3 and 4 if I can be bothered. Gotta fill the next 4 weeks somehow waiting for the last 4 episodes of SNW to drop in the UK.

2 Likes

News from the Star Trek panel at Comic Con.

Lowers Deck Season 3 trailer is out and the show will premiere at the August 25th. Trailer looks fun, action packed, and sees the crew visit Deep Space Nine, which is pretty awesome.

Strange New Worlds big announcement is that they are doing a crossover with Lower Decks, where Mariner and Boimler somehow wind up on the Enterprise, as part of a big crossover event. A mix of live action and animation. And yes, it is directed by Jonathan Frakes.

Picard is teasing their third and final season, showing off promo pics of the returning TNG cast.

1 Like

Discovery is going to end on Season 5 next year. Possibly a victim of Paramount having to make some cuts, as it looks like all the streaming services seem to be tightening their belts. Although we also know that there are some other spin-offs in development, like Section 31 (which has been in development hell for a while now) and Starfleet Academy.

Iā€™m not a fan of Discovery. The show had issues, especially a lot of behind the scenes issues, probably why Season 3 was a borderline reboot. Still, Iā€™ll need to catch up on Seasons 3 and 4 and see how this ends.

2 Likes

Soā€¦ season 3 of Picard isā€¦kind of good. Or at least notably better than previous seasons (which is a low bar to pass, but still). Love seeing the Titan in action, and actual characters in uniform, etc. Love that the theme from First Contact is now the show themeā€¦

Maybe Iā€™ll end up liking this final season. Weā€™ll see.

2 Likes

Iā€™m enjoying it so far. Itā€™s nice to see the old crew again, at least those weā€™ve seen so far. We know that Geordi and Deanna are going to show up eventually too. Lore and Moriarty are likely going to show up soon and be the ā€œmore powerful weaponā€ stolen from Daystrom too (if the season trailer is any indication).

1 Like

So that just happenedā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very happy with the latest episode of Picard (season 3 episode 8).

It has some dumb stuff like Raffi fighting changelings with melee weapons for some reason, and the command bridge having a huge hatch that can just fling everyone in there into space, but what they did for Data/Lore and managed in terms of drama made up for it.
Brent Spiner puts in a great performance.

Itā€™s seeming likely that Jack Crusher is in some way connected to the Borg, considering the ā€œhearing voicesā€. We shall see.

2 Likes

Very curious to see what happens with Jack. Next weekā€™s preview is intriguing.
Saw an article suggesting it was ā€œearlyā€ to get rid of Vadic, but thereā€™s only two episodes left and there are still numerous plot lines to resolve including Jack (and the apparently misdiagnosed disease that he and Picard share, the floating head guy, the changelings throughout Star Fleet and the Frontier Day plot. Two episodes is about right for all that I think (and the last 10-15 minutes of the last episode is bound to be just chock full of fan service and callbacks anyway).

Iā€™m impressed with the series and the season overall. I look forward to being able to go back after the last episode and re-watch the whole thing start to finish with no interruptions too.

1 Like

Iā€™m just going to mark this entire thing spoiler text. If you havenā€™t seen the latest episode of Picard (ā€œVoxā€), hereā€™s your warning.

I am rather disappointed by the reveal of the Borg, again. In season 1 we had Borg. Season 2? Borg. Now in season 3 itā€™s Borg again. This enemy is tired. Now the entirety of the fleet is going to be going against a single older ship? I am predicting that somehow theyā€™ll figure out a way to disable the entire fleet since theyā€™re all connected and somehow use use the transporters to remove the Borg DNA.

On a positive note, it was nice to see the Enterprise D again. I really liked the crewā€™s reaction to seeing their old ship again. Shelby being back, and then pretty immediately killed, was a nice touch. I can only hope that the next episode brings Janeway back as she has personal dealings (as does Picard) with the Borg and being older is immune to their transporter assimilation trick. Sheā€™s been name-dropped far too often to avoid a final appearance.

I wasnā€™t clear what happened to Seven of Nine at the end. She stayed on the Titan but to what end? Are her and Rafi just hiding out for the time being? I donā€™t think weā€™re told so that will need to be wrapped up next episode.

Liked the implication that Worf was responsible for the Enterprise E. In some book or comic or something it was suggested that he took command after Picard retired.

Weā€™ll see what happens next week to wrap everything up. Still not excited about the Borg being back (againā€¦) but I will still look forward to the series finale.

1 Like

(Adds schatenjagerā€™s name to the list of people who think we see too much of The Joker, King Ghidorah, and Magneto)

Oh, youā€™re one of those. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Add me as well.

Destoroyah > King Ghidorah

1 Like

Freely admitted. I am absolutely sick to death of the Jokerā€¦and thatā€™s coming from someone who doesnā€™t read comic books so itā€™s only based on the movies. Still havenā€™t bothered to watch Joker (the latest one) and doubt Iā€™ll see the sequel either.

King Ghidorah I have very limited knowledge of. The monster was in that one Godzilla movie and the head was in the Kong one but I guess that monster is done now?

Magneto seems to be the default bad guy in every X-men movie (except for Apocalypse). Youā€™d think eventually theyā€™d just find some way of getting rid of him for good? Theyā€™d have entire squads of troops armed only with plastic weapons. I donā€™t know.

These universes have vast amounts of characters, even I know that. Why keep going back to the well and using the same enemies over and over and over?

2 Likes

Because the conflict with these villains is what those stories are all about. Itā€™s the real story; conflict with others are mere side stories.

Wrong.