The Workout Thread - Fitter, Faster, Stronger

oh great, now i have to fap again, thanks :unamused:

2 Likes

Can’t you wait for the summer to get the real thing? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Since August I been using a 6 day a week Push/Pull training system that centres around high frequency training and low volume. Duration around 30-60 min.

4 exercises per day and each have their own special finisher.
More can be read about it here

So instead of switching to a hole new training program, like full body or Upper lower. I decided to go with the same principles and follow their part 2 of the same program.

It follows the same principles, however this time around it focus on new exercises and new forms of finishers.

1 – Heavy Lifting

You’ll use two different options for the heavy method. Stick with each for 2 or 3 weeks then switch to the other one. Those two methods are rest/pause and clusters:

1 – For the rest/pause

Your work set will require a weight that you can lift for 4 to 6 reps. You’ll complete as many technically correct reps as you can with that weight. Your goal will then be to double that number of reps. To do that you take short rest periods.

For example, let’s say that you get 5 reps in the initial bout. This means you want to do 10 total reps for your set. After your 5 reps you’ll rest for 15 seconds. Then you might get an extra 3 reps. This means you’ll need to get 2 more reps. Rest another 15 seconds and then you’ll be capable of getting the last 2 reps.

2 – For the clusters

Use a weight that you could lift for 2-4 reps. Then do as many sets of 1 rep as possible with 15-20 seconds of rest between each. Stop when you know that the next rep will be iffy. It might look like this:

• 1 rep, rest 15 seconds
  • 1 rep, rest 15 seconds
  • 1 rep, rest 20 seconds
  • 1 rep, rest 20 seconds
  • 1 rep

2 – mTOR Activation

The two types of actions that have the greater impact on mTor activation are accentuated eccentrics and loaded stretching (holding a muscle contraction while in a stretched position).

So you’ll use a nice torture method called post-fatigue loaded stretching. You pick a weight you can do 8-10 reps using a slow negative – lowering under control for 4-5 seconds. Go to muscle failure or very close to it. When you reach that point, go down to the stretched position and hold the weight for as long as tolerable. It’s a great way to stimulate growth, but also to improve mobility and stability.

3 – Fiber Fatigue (Myo Reps)

For maximum muscle fiber fatigue you’ll use the myo rep method developed by Borge Fagerly. It’s a form of rest/pause. You reach failure or close to it, then do as many micro-sets of 3 reps as possible with around 20 seconds of rest.

When you can only get 2 reps on a micro-set, you stop. The initial set can use any number of reps from 6 to 20, but with this program we’ll use a weight that you can get 10-12 reps with.

Start by doing as many reps as you can with that weight, then rest 20 seconds and do 3 more reps. Rest 20 seconds and do 3 more reps. Continue doing that until you can only get 2 additional reps. If you can get more than 5 micro-sets you likely faked yourself in that original set and didn’t go close enough to failure.

So far I’m two weeks into this program and just began the third week of training this morning. My plan is to switch between the two programs 2-3 times a year, to make sure I’m not stagnating and stimulating in news ways.

So far I love doing the heavy clusters sets or the mTOR Activation set. Holding the stress position for as long as possible with two dumbbells at the end of a slow negative set of Dumbbell Bench press is wonderful. You can really feel all the muscle fibres burning.

1 Like

This looks good. I may take some bits and pieces from it as I can’t do 6 days a week. I’ve been aiming for 4-5 and feel real good. I need to up my cardio.

@Mads47 I think you’re the guy at my gym who is so muscular he’s like a bubble and he wanders around with a lifting belt for back support, and a huge weight dangling from his crotch while he does pull-ups up passed his waist. And then, when I ask “Are you training for anything in particular?” he replies “NASA.”

DISCLAIMER: I’m a complete n00b in the gym, and I don’t know anything about programmes or supplements or HIITs

I’m lucky enough to be able to go to the gym daily, but I tend to leave the weekends for recovery and repair. That and it’s packed full of people hogging the machines :smile: For cardio, I do the rowing machine for 4,000 meters, treadmill three times, cross trainer thing, the step machine, bike and I separately run three miles a day. For weight, I do pretty much everything you can think of. Do you guys know about the assisted pull-up machine? There’s one in my gym now and I’ve been playing about with it :smiley:

1 Like

Sadly I’m not that big, I’m muscular. But more muscle mass and strength will always be something I chase.

That is also a lot of dedication, also rowing machine is one hell of a body workout.

It is when you go into overdrive and you’re trying to cover 100 meters in about 10 seconds :smile: but it’s not so bad :slight_smile: the stepping machine is the worst! Maximum resistance, 30 minutes, legs on fire and toes tingling :smile:
Do you favor the weight training more than the cardio?

I rarely do Cardio, if I do cardio in the gym it’'s due to me cutting some extra fat I gained through the year. Other then that I get my daily cardio from biking to and from work.

I would do biking if I had the time, but I don’t find it really challenges me much. I’m pretty much 50-50 between cardio and weights, I tend to alternate between them in the gym. Trying to get faster and stronger!
What would you say is the basic principles of the weight training programme you’re doing at the moment? Because right now I’m pretty much just lifting the ones that are heavy for me

The basic principle is high frequency training with low volume. Due to the low rep. range you go heavier then you normally would in a typical split with high volume.

I think I get what you mean. So instead of doing a hundred medium weights, you do like…5 super heavy ones?

Yes I do like 3 sets of 4-6 reps, some sets are 8-10.

Yep I used to be on three sets of 10, now I’m on 3 sets of 5 but with ridiculously heavy stuff! Well, it’s heavy to me, but it’s probably a paperweight to you :smile: did you mention if you did pull-ups?

Not in the current workout plan, but in 2 weeks time I might switch the pull down out with it. Just to hit the same area in a new way.

I’ve started doing pull-ups (with the assistance of that counter-weight machine) and it’s so cool :laughing: I imagine I’m in an Uncharted or Assassin’s Creed game and I’m not just doing a pull-up, I’m dangling by my arms off the edge of an ancient ruin and I’m hauling myself up :smile:

1 Like

I started working out too, new year’s resolutions and all that; I’ve never been sporty or athletic and I will never be, but some sense of motion in everyday life must be upheld.

Question to the experts out there: two days ago I took group classes of some pretty intense (for me) tai chi, pilates, yoga stuff. Suffice to say I was the only guy in the room but who cares, felt like intense sports to me. Still today. Hence my question. Normally there’s another group class scheduled tonight, but should I go considering my abs are in pain with the slightest movement? Is this something I can expect to go away as I start the exercises again this evening? Is this pain maybe even a window of opportunity for further exercise?

Today’s workout was the most intense I’ve ever done and I damn near vomited :slight_smile:

Congratulations on getting active :smiley: I’m not an expert, so we’ll have to pass this one to Mads or one of the others. The fact that you have abs puts you ahead of me :smile:

Haha, that reminds me of my first work-out of the year, something called GRIT. Still no idea what it was but it nearly killed me, some high-intensity stuff. I was 15 minutes in when I almost passed out (literally), black spots all over my eyes. Would have been bareable but then the coach said those first fifteen minutes were just warm-up. I quietly left the room and looked for something for starter’s level.

I also have no abs. I guess the pain is just in the spots where they’re meant to be developing.

Oh boy yeah, everything was on fire! When I stopped, I was barely able to focus and everything! And it was only the treadmill! Granted it was sprinting for half an hour, but still! :smile:
It’s pretty cool you do yoga, that makes you all bendy, right?
Yeah the soreness will be the ab muscles, they’re just not bulging out and visible (yet!) :smile:

Muscle soreness is pretty common, especially if you are not used to use those muscles directly. Abdominal muscles is a small muscle group that you can hit everyday. If it’s directly intense pain then I would probably skip it and take it easy, however if you are just sore then it’s not “dangerous”.

Everyone got abs, they are just not visible for most people. But trust me they are there :wink: