Top 5 Movies/Series in HMF members opinion

Well, the point of the thread is self explanatory. Let’s jump in.

My opinion, not a popular one:

Series (unordered):
1- Stranger Things
2- Narcos
3- The Big Bang Theory
4- Silicon Valley
5- The mandalorian

Movies (unordered):
1- Forrest Gump
2- The Shawshank Redemption
3- Leon the Professional
4- Marmoolak (Iran)
5- The Shape of Water

1 Like

Series:

Boardwalk Empire
Drawn Together
Archer

Movies:

Godzilla '54
Star Wars OT
American Psycho
Alien 1

7 Likes

The Last Airbender?

1 Like

Yep, its a great show.

3 Likes

It really is, But IR broadcast spoiled it by playing it 3 times a day for 10 years in a kids channel. Kids there can remember every second of it clearly.

2 Likes

That’s hard… I will decide mostly on the feelings I have watching the movies and series, all of them have a special place in my heart (for different reasons). Here we go:

Movies:

1. Pride and Prejudice
  2. No Country for old men
  3. The beauty and the beast
  4. Harry Potter 3
  5. The Shawshank redemption

Series:

1. The Big Bang theory
  2. Stranger things
  3. Sailor Moon
  4. Scrubs
  5. Modern family
5 Likes

Top 5 as in favourites or what we think is actually best? These are my favourites.
Series

1. The Wire
  2. Band of Brothers
  3. The Sopranos
  4. Game of Thrones
  5. Peaky Blinders

Films

1. Godfather III
  2. Heat
  3. Goodfellas
  4. Rogue One*
  5. Miami Vice
  • at first I put Empire, those two go back and forth as my fav Star Wars
6 Likes

Movies :

• The Last Samurai (it’s not that good but it’s my favorite movie I don’t know why :face_with_monocle:)
  • The Lord of the Rings 1
  • Matrix 1
  • Blade Runner 2049
  • Godzilla 54

Series :

• Battlestar Galactica
  • Chernobyl
  • Ozark
  • Westworld (season 1 only)
  • The Boys
4 Likes

Oh I didn’t noticed that. My list are just my favourites, not what I think are the best. Sorry if I misinterpreted it.

2 Likes

I also put my favourites… well either great minds think alike or we both misunderstood.

1 Like

Films:

• The Thing (1982)
  • The Prestige
  • Back to the Future
  • Muppets Christmas Carol
  • Hot Fuzz

I’d have a much harder time with TV series so I’ll just leave that :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

6 Likes

OMG How I could forget it ?! :hushed: Just 5 movies it’s waaay too hard :sob:

5 Likes

I can never escape the feeling that I’m missing something obvious when I’m making these lists…

Film:

• Alien
  • Dr. Strangelove or: How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the Bomb
  • Fargo
  • Fight Club
  • The Philadelphia Story

Series:

• Twin Peaks
  • Batman: The Animated Series
  • Breaking Bad / Better Call Saul
  • House
  • Deep Space Nine
4 Likes

I see what you did here. Clever :joy:. I could go back and just lump Heat and Miami Vice together and throw in Collateral for good measure. I’ll just call it “Michael Manns crime dramas that are all really about people and their relationships with each other, hidden love stories behind a veil of a crime thriller.”

2 Likes

Very strong choices, they might make it into my TV list too

1 Like

I’ve only heard bad things about miami vice tbh, i take it it’s worth watching if im a big fan of collateral and heat?

I personally put my favorites. I’m not into movies that much, and those I put were ones I watched by a friend’s suggestion. In series, Breaking Bad is absolutely one of the greatest but not one of my favorites. I liked Wagner Mora in Narcos a bit more than Cranston.

Great! In sitcoms, Friends has more fans but I believe that it’s overrated. I found an atmosphere in TBBT which was absent in Friends.

1 Like

If you liked those other two then you’ll like Miami Vice. It’s ending is a tad bit flat but that bc Jamie Fox threw a tantrum after an incident in Haiti and refused to leave the country again to film, so there were on the fly rewrites to make him feel safe. This is funny bc he also then a tantrum after he signed the deal to do the film bc he signed it for less then Colin Ferrell was making. Then he won the Oscar and wanted not necessarily to make more, bud to not make less than Colin. Colin took a pay cut to make the film work. I’m rambling now but it’s a solid crime film. Colin Farrell, Jamie Fox, and Gong Li are all excellent and so are Barry Henley (the nightclub owner in Collateral) and John Ortiz (fast and furious 4 and 6, always plays a bad guy).

See the directors cut since you like Manns stuff. It’s got a boat race scene in the start that is cut from the theatre version. The camera goes under water and above water continuously throughout the shot. It’s pretty cool to see and is one of the most expensive scenes to ever be cut from a film.

1 Like

Well, this is a list of 5 Non american and 5 Irainan movies that I liked and you also might like, you may have already seen some of them as they’ve won Oscars or are in IMDB top list.

1- A Seperation - Iran - Oscar winner
2- Leon the Professional - France
3- Amelie - France
4- Bicycle Thieves - Italy
5- About Elly - Iran - Berlin Golden Bear winner
6- Bomb: A Love Story - Iran
7- Spirited Away - Japan
8- Abad Va Yek Rooz - Iran
9- Marmoolak - Iran (You won’t like it)
10- The Platform - Spain

2 Likes