TV Show Discussion Thread

I already HAVE, man! But now I wanna see Pedro do it! :face_holding_back_tears:

2 Likes

I’m in the middle of the second interactive version atm, thank you very much

2 Likes

So just watched the first 35 Minutes of TLOU Series and I’m genuinely impressed with how it’s basically so far a retelling albeit in a way where they expand upon what we already know.

This could genuinely be the best Game to Film adaptation we’ve ever gotten.

5 Likes

Arcane came out last year, so that seems to be a spot thats already filled

2 Likes

Er, is it an adaptation though? It’s an original story IIRC of events inspired by LoL…

Really freaking well-made, but I don’t think it’s adapted the same “story” from the game

that’s most definitely an adaptation, hell translated to dutch adaptation can also mean aanpassing of bewerking. Which both are synonyms for change. If anything the last of us tv show from what I’ve heard of it is a really glossy retelling rather than an adaptation. And considering it’s retelling the yawn of us I doubt it’s any good

enough internet

good night

1 Like

Alright so, that Last of Us premiere… time for a little run-down now of a silly little fan’s thoughts:

Summary

The 1960s talk show intro was a great, new way to open the show, set the tense “viral pandemic” tone, and clue in new people into what to expect from this series.

Starting the “Prologue” earlier than what the game does was a great touch, to get to know the normal world, a little of Joel and Sarah’s dynamic, and slowly set the arrival of the full-on outbreak.
The quiet scene with the granny twitching and moving in the background was terrifying. And so, so good.
A lot of the scenes and dialogue going from the truck scene onwards is taken verbatim from the game, very cool to see it recreated.
And… that death was almost as sad as it was the first time. They did not need to change a thing about that scene, and I’m glad they didn’t.

Flashforward to 20 years later… a terrifying way to show how broken and detached Joel is, by burning a child’s corpse in the QZ. Two child deaths already, yikes.

Ah, and by the way, it is UNCANNY how close in vocal inflection Pascal and Luna sound as Joel and Tommy. I don’t know if that was intended to happen, but they got it really close most of the time.

A bit of lore about FEDRA owning a QZ factory is cool, and I like how it ties into the themes of rebuilding the broken world.

Got a scene with Robert. That surprised me. He’s always the most forgettable part of the game for me. His fate is ended by someone else’s hands later, but that’s fine with me.

Ellie’s introduction here, chained up by the fireflies, was really good. Bella Ramsey has that SASS.
Interesting that they already portray the Fireflies as a bit antagonistic (as would come about a lot later), I was worried they wouldn’t given their slogan is being used across all TLOU marketing so far.

Even the scene where Joel wakes up in his bed! Stuff taken from the game, and a lot more is clear about Tess and Joel’s relationship… they do be lovers.

Merle Dandrige, back as Marlene! She’s so good, and I’m glad she landed this role (probably helps that she was the same face model)
And then that same scene with Ellie… they don’t reveal her immunity! Huh. I like that they also plant some scenes that Marlene has some history with her, something Im sure will come up later, we don’t even see in the games

“Your watch is broken” :grin: yessss. I thought that was gonna be the scene they ended it on, but…

They escape the QZ, avoiding the spotlights like you do in the game, cool cool… and come across this guard Joel was trading with earlier!

And then, in some bout of PTSD, Joel brutally murders this guard he knows when faced with the same situation he left Sarah in… that’s a great reveal of how scary and dangerous he’s become in the post-apocalypse.

One thing about the last scene :/

There’s also a bit – that I’m worried and afraid of – they tease a bit in the featurette and podcast afterwards, that Ellie is “activated” by this, or… somehow enjoys seeing Joel murder this dude, as a contrast to Sarah being afraid when he kills the old lady.
I hope they mean she enjoys seeing someone protect her using such force, instead of just the violence itself…
Because, while I get how this can tie into Part II and Ellie’s choice to go on a murder spree to find this lady. I think that was a gradual de-sensitization that she went through in Part 1, that drove her to it, not an enjoyment of it… (“Holy Shit, Joel!” Is an iconic gameplay line when she sees a dead body)

Overall though, this episode was fantastic, and I love that it basically added some new context and filled in the gameplay gaps with more to see, that becomes this tense, intriguing thrill-ride the introduce people to the story. It’s surprising how much they kept here.
We’ll see what happens later (I know episode 3 is probably gonna focus a lot on a character that was already dead in the games), but I can’t wait to see what can surprise me next. I’m hoping for a little segment on Ish.

Also did you know there’s a Last of Us podcast they’ll put out every week, featuring Troy Baker, Neil Druckmann and Craig Mazin go over a bunch of the episode’s scenes, and talk about what went into writing it and figuring out how to adapt it.
Youtube & anywhere else you can find your podcasts…
It’s a pretty good glimpse of the writer’s/director’s choices behind the camera.

When they bring up the cookies the neighbours have in the podcast, Mazin specifically mentions they leave many breadcrumbs in this episode that’ll lead to bigger things later.
Some fans picked up on the fact that Joel didn’t have pancake mix, forgot to get a cake, and coupled with how pushy the neighbours were about the cookies (and focusing on the granny eating them), they’re probably going to reveal that the outbreak happened from some contaminated food/grain. Ooh.

4 Likes

Ah man. and I don’t want to say much in case it turns out drastically different, (though I highly doubt that), but HBO TLOU could be to my adult brain, what Netflix’s Unfortunate Events was to my child brain. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: oh gosh it’s so exciting

Like… it’s the same situations, dialogue, and typical hijinks (and spooks) I’ve come to adore and appreciate from one medium, translated to another near-perfectly! While, at the same time, strengthening it with new scenes from different perspectives that the OG could not, filling in gaps that the author didn’t have time for or didn’t think of including, and created with some really great production value (real sets, costumes, the works!)

5 Likes

As much as I love the Book Series I absolutely loathe the Netflix Series.

In other news. Watched one episode of Velma, turned it off and ended up watching Mystery Incorporated instead. I recommend Mystery Incorporated, Matthew Lillard is in it and imo the animation is better.

4 Likes

Really? Why’s that?

20questions

2 Likes

https://screenrant.com/that-90s-show-leia-age-plot-hole/
Finally someone writing on media discovers an actually legitimate plot hole!

Most of the time it’s nothing more than “they didn’t explain this thing I don’t get so it’s a plot hole”.

2 Likes

After spending a few hours watching this series I can without a doubt say the funniest moment was during the birthday episode when Kitty basically attempts to kill Bob.

everything else was very mediocre.

2 Likes

I just watched that first episode of The Last of Us, holy fuck that was excellent, this was unbelievebly good, it was so fucking good to the point that I don’t know how to continue with my life, why should I? The fungus would anyway take over all of us :sob::sob: I am not trying to survive through a pandemic, I’d probably off myself as soon as it all would start, I am not getting eaten by runners at all costs.

4 Likes

Amazon’s Invincible is coming back in Late 2023!!

Here’s a fun little teaser they made to reveal that :grin:

5 Likes

what an excellent teaser, excited to see it when it comes out

3 Likes

Finished the 1st season of Dirk Gently.

Really captivating mystery and I was impressed they managed to tie most of it up in great little connecting threads!

Some things like Dirk somehow knowing the entire history about Spring/Webb’s quest for revenge, and the name of the cult, etc. coming out of nowhere was a bit weird, but I’m gonna chalk that up to his potential psychic abilities that they still didn’t disprove.

Also the “flow of the universe” thing that Bart and Dirk had, where they couldn’t harm each other, (and Bart basically couldn’t be harmed by anyone) was cool.

All the actors did a really great job with this show, I’ll definitely watch the second season in the future
(According to Wikipedia, this was a BBC production first, Netflix distributed Internationally – so BBC is to blame for this cult hit’s cancellation!)

3 Likes

Just finished episode 2 of The Last of Us and words cannot appropriately express how much I love this show.

3 Likes

Latest episode of Last of Us has a lot more scares and a lot more intensity.

Our first full scary scene involving Clickers… ooh, they make me tense up and hair stand on end.

It was a bit lighter on plot (though the cold open in Indonesia, finding out more about the initial infection was neat).
And, the whole “fungus hive mind” is an interesting way to make the hordes of Infected scarier as a group. The “tendrils” and roots of the shrooms growing everywhere is also spooky.

I did not have Fungus Transfer via Infected Smooch on my bingo card and I’m terrified and grossed out that they glued it on… :face_vomiting:
Other than that last scene, I thought everything was solid and really enjoyed it.

Next week: Bill’s Town! Everyone says its the best episode of the show, possibly even one of the best TV episodes created. Clocking in at a rumored 80 minutes again, I’m interested!

3 Likes

Here’s a post-episode 2 interview with Neil Druckmann and Craig Mazin. They talk about what they changed from the game and why, especially when it comes to the infected. I have to admit I didn’t catch the flour thing at all.

4 Likes