TV Show Discussion Thread

This is me now after watching episode 3 of The Last of Us

I’m so afraid of the episode with Henry and Sam :melting_face: This series is going to break me

6 Likes

A friend said we might be getting two episodes with them, if only to throw people off of predicting “oh every new character we meet is going to die in this episode anyway”

I can see that happening honestly.
Episode 4 – Pittsburgh chapter, brief meeting with Sam and Henry
Episode 5 – The Sewers + Suburbs chapter

2 Likes

I have learned something about myself that is disheartening, to say the least. I am extraordinarily picky about things with almost zero basis. For the longest time I thought that The Last of Us was a completely different thing. In my head, I kept thinking it was this computer game about these two guys who were escaping from prison. That was A Way Out and has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with The Last of Us, but the original video game art for the two showed a vaguely similar looking main character so I never bothered with it and to this day have not watched the show for that same stupid reason that makes no sense to anyone but me.

I do this all the time - judging a movie or an entire series by the expression on the face of the character on the Netflix thumbnail and refusing to watch even one episode because of it.

I’ve never seen Top Gun (or the sequel) because I didn’t like the theme song.
I have never watched a single episode of The Walking Dead because that kid had a stupid hat.
I never saw Stranger Things because I thought that one of the characters had an “uppity” look on his face.

So stupid.

4 Likes

Top Gun is military propaganda. Carl’s hat is stupid and The Walking Dead never lives up to its pilot. Stranger Things falls off a cliff after the first season.

The Last of Us is fantastic, though. :grin:

4 Likes

i’m intrigued at episode 3 after the things i saw online about it but the first 2 episodes sure had me saying, yup thats the last of us alright. Watching this with my sister and dad made me realise i would like the series a lot more if i didn’t play the game.

though funnily my sister points out a lot of things being like resident evil 2 due to us playing that together recently

3 Likes

Game player or not, Episode 3 is really interesting for anyone to watch given that 85% of the episode is entirely original – probably even more than that – there’s only a very small bit I can easily say was a 1-to-1 recreation of the game.

(It’s entirely original, but gets the characters to the same spot you’d expect – which I think was still a great smart way to adapt it without falling into another action-focused episode trap)

5 Likes

First of all, it’s not Carl’s hat. Second of all, very poor reason for not watching a show. And third of all, TWD not only lived up to but significantly surpassed its pilot numerous times over.

Agreed… That was the point of the whole post!

1 Like

Just saw the “Sleepytime” episode from Bluey – what’s considered a huge fan-favourite from people.
Yeah, it’s really good… nearly made me cry… all from a child who couldn’t sleep soundly…

Damn, man… this freakin’ kids’ show can pack so much emotion, playfulness, artistic creativity and heavier kids’ themes into such small episodes, it’s astounding. Really elevates this to something oh-so fascinating to watch for me.
I can’t find a good clip of the episode in question, but here’s a really great video that explains a few other great aspects of this show and its deeper themes.

yeah this is my 7 minutes of comfort every now and then…

2 Likes

no ur right i thought that scene was so well done, a gay person wrote that for sure

4 Likes

We don’t need to grow up if we don’t want to, I’m not crying you’re crying

1 Like

Watched the released episodes of The Last of Us (Haven’t played the game) and I honestly don’t get the internet riot about it. Don’t get me wrong, it was a decent watch, maybe a 7, I just can’t understand the lads calling it the greatest thing to ever be on TV after 3 hardly better than mediocre episodes.

I was also told that it was going to be scary. The third season of Stranger Things was scarier than this lmao. “Mushrooms coming out of bloody mouths omfg”, how was that supposed to be scary, like at all.

3 Likes

How the hell does your skin not crawl during the scene some infected dude forced some mushroom tendrils down a woman’s throat, framed as an ugly passionate kiss?? :face_vomiting:

4 Likes

That felt like a normal kiss, somehow.

I’m such a wuss when it comes to horror, couldn’t sleep normal for a year after I watched The Nun but this was just, you know, not horrifying.

3 Likes

I think someone mis-sold it to you tbh. The Last of Us, both game and show, is more of a character study; it’s mostly about how people deal with other people and there just happens to occasionally have “fungis” come around to hang out. (If you know what I mean) :wink:

That’s probably why; as an adaptation, it’s first and foremost for the existing fans. Like tonight, for example, my brother and I practically jumped out of our seats when Ellie pulled out her stupid joke book but I could imagine a non-player wondering why she has a stupid book. Also, though, even “mediocre” is pretty good for by video game adaptation standards. Anyway, to each their own. :grin:

-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/

Speaking of tonight, I continue to love this show. As previously mentioned, the joke book alone was worth the price of admission but Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsay’s unbelievable father-daughter chemistry finally takes center stage after taking the first two episodes’ foundations and (rightfully) stepping aside last week. Also, the producers continue to mostly make the right choices of when to add, when to remove and when to combine.

Just some notes:

-the first game does this too (yet another reason I don’t quite understand why people got so upset about Abby) but I liked them seeding that Joel is older than he seems and would be at a distinct disadvantage against a younger opponent (or a group of them) even though that particular scene was more for Ellie’s development

-I enjoyed how they brought in Henry and Sam and the expansion/alteration/combination of the backstory surrounding them and the hunters

3 Likes

Lol, lmao

True, it was mis-sold… It was good enough to cling me into wanting to watch till the end, but you probably know the feeling when your expectations differ from reality.

3 Likes

I just think that The last of Us is great storytelling. They could have easily make it some zombie-action-gore-thing but they focus more on the characters and I really appreciate that.

And the beginning of the first and second episode were much more scary for me than everything else :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

that’ll happen when they adapt the last of us 2!

The thing is, that’s what every zombie and zombie-ish story does. For once, I personally wish they’d make a story where the constant threat actually is the zombie or zombie-like things threatening humanity, instead of always defaulting to the standard “it’s the humans who are the real threat.” George Romero did that, with his idea of the communism scare and consumerism being the real problems; Resident Evil did it with the idea of corporate capitalism, unregulated science and extreme militarism being the true threat; and between Dead Rising and The Walking Dead, we’ve seen every permutation imaginable of regular humans taking advantage of zombie outbreaks to do unspeakable things in the name of safety or just because nobody is around to stop them. Let’s actually have a story where all of humanity is united in its effort to survive an outbreak of subhuman monsters, like we see whenever it’s an alien invasion story.

1 Like