Visual Novel Games

A place to discuss and share your favorite games from this genre. Sorry if I should’ve put this on a different forum but I really want to share the ace attorney series. Amazing characters and character development, outstanding story, translated well, very funny, intricate murder mysteries and cool gameplay twists. My favorite would have to be a three way tie between the third game—Trials and Tribulations (play the first two games though), Spirit Of Justice—most recent game (play the trilogy/dual destinies), and Investigations 2 (play the trilogy and the first investigations)
How to play: no one will come after you for emulating the trilogy—Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Justice For All, and Trials and Tribulations—but it has really good remasters that recently came or on pc and console—probably the way to go. Spirit of Justice is a little tricky, being only on the 3ds eShop. Investigations 2 requires a ds emulator and a fan translated rom. It takes a lot of effort but my god is it worth it.

Investigations 2:

1. get an emulator—I recommend openEMU because it uses the best emulator format—DeSmuMe but has a better save system.
  2. find a pre-patched rom here: Pre-patched
    Or
    Get the Gyakuten Kenji 2 rom
  3. get the patch here: Patch
  4. find a patcher: I was on Mac so I used multi patch
  5. patch the Gyakuten Kenji 2 rom with the patch using your patcher
  6. Play!

Video walkthrough

Review by popular YouTuber/ace attorney fan antdude

1 Like

Sorry I focused only on ace attorney it’s the only visual novel series I’ve played all the way through. And investigations 2 I’ve written as one of my favorite games of all time

I’m just going to take the hint that I put this in the wrong forum lol

I don’t even know what these are but don’t feel discouraged, feel free to post about it if it interests you cause it isn’t hurting anyone

2 Likes

Give it time. It’s more likely that it’s just such a niche subject for an entire thread to be about.

I particularly enjoy the Zero Escape series (though I’ve only finished the first game). It’s a visual novel/puzzle game centered on a group of strangers trapped inside this Saw-like escape room game.
The story of the first game, 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors – is a big branching one, where the ultimate goal is to escape the death-maze you’re trapped in. You’re given a choice of 2 or 3 different doors, and each leads to a series of different puzzles. Along the way is a cast of 9 characters, who each have their own backstories and mysteries. The way the plot evolves and the more you learn about each person with the more endings you complete is great!

It’s a title avaliable for the Nintendo DS, Mobile Devices, PSVita, and recently PS4 as a two-pack with the sequel Virtue’s Last Reward under the name “Zero Escape: The Nonary Games”.

1 Like

Damn I’ll have to try that one out! It sounds really awesome

A lot of people haven’t. Investigations 2 is easily the most niche game I’ve ever played. I seriously recommend the HD trilogy remaster. It’s available on all consoles and pc

Phoenix Wright is ok, but Zero Escape (especially the 2nd game) is amazing. This thread had reminded me that I actually own a Vita & danganronpa unplayed…