What Movies Have Impacted You The Most?

Post here any movies that have had an impact on you.

One movie I would like to share with you all is a movie called “Stan and Ollie” . It’s about 2 comedians who performed between the 1920’s-40’s. It details the true story of their final tour and how one of them falls to illness.

My father watched a lot of laurel and hardy and subsequently so did I. Let me tell you, it is undoubtedly the best comedy I have ever watched. Once you excuse its age and appreciate it for what it is you are garunteed for a great time.

Seeing as these men were a massive part of my childhood, this movie meant a lot to me. Seeing my favourite childhood characters on the big screen in full HD was a feeling I struggle to describe. They nailed the characters appearance and personality flawlessly.

I strongly suggest you watch some of laurel and hardy comedy, there’s probably loads on YouTube. This movie was extremely emotional for me and is to date the only movie I have ever cried whilst watching.

So I’m curious, does anyone else have any movies that have had a large impact on you?

3 Likes

I followed Jean Claude Van Damme since I was young. Instead of picking movies, I have to say that most of his movie made an impact on my life, especially the 90s ones.

But if I have to pick one then it’s Inferno.

Taxi driver and mulholland drive

The Room

4 Likes

Metropolis - saw it at College and it blew my mind. It still blows my mind to this day, the sheer ambition of it. Just fucking wow.

Magnolia - I love Paul Thomas Anderson and this is my favourite film of his. Just great scene after great scene.

Love Exposure - A strange little Japanese film about… so many things. It’s outstanding. I say little, it’s 4 hours long. And worth every second.

Jacob’s Ladder - I feel like this one doesn’t need an explanation.

1 Like

The Wolf of Wallstreet.

1 Like

Tremors.

This movie absolutely terrified me as a kid. As an adult, I know it was meant to be more comedy than horror, and I love it now on that basis, but as a kid I was just so scared to go outside and walk on bare ground, and a good 10% of my nightmares from age 7 to roughly 15 consisted of me being stuck on top of some structure while a giant carnivorous worm lurked below. I haven’t had such nightmares in almost 20 years now, for which I’m very thankful, but still, it affected me bad for a long time.

Švankmajer’s Alice (1988)
-saw it first time as a 7-year-old, all the jerky motions of animal skeletons and taxidermied rabbit freaked me out as a kid for years.

That fucking rabbit, i mean, look at this abomination.

Still creeps me out to this day, but in a good way. Tried to play with some stop-motion animation in high school myself bc of that movie.

Ravenous (1999)
-I don’t know how many times I saw that one, but it makes me so happy everytime i watch it like no other movie. I can’t get enough of that playful cat and mouse game. There is a strange layer beneath that ‘just a darkly comedic cannibal horror’ appearance, that won’t let go. Feral, weirdly joyful, uncomfortably satirical and clever. (And here i go, listening to the soundtrack again.)

Rough impact movie: Idi i smotri (1985). Great, strong movie, but one that i will never voluntarily watch again.

Honorable mentions: The Wicker Man (1973), El ángel exterminador (1962)

Ok seriously, after The Room, the film that’s impacted me the most is Once Upon a Time in America;

Noodles is such a captivating intriguing character, as is Max. It’s a shame the film got butchered with the theatrical cut

1 Like

UP, that Pixar anime you know.

1 Like

By their nature war movies tend to be pretty impactful, the one in particular that always sticks with me is ‘Johnny got his Gun’. Like most kids of my generation I first became aware of it from the Metallica video for One, and I first watched it sometime in the early ‘90s -the song is pretty horrific itself, but the actual film is haunting, macabrely mesmerising and disturbingly beautiful all at once. There’s no gory blood n’ guts or sfx anywhere, it’s all in the mind, creepily depicted by the sterile black & white of hospital bedsheets. It stays in your head for days after, pondering “what if that were me?” and trying to mentally place yourself in that nightmare situation. No sight, no speech or hearing, no arms or legs, unable to move or communicate, trapped between life and death.

Another one is ‘Casualties of War’ with Michael J. Fox and Sean Penn, it often gets overshadowed by it’s 'Nam contemporaries such as Apocalypse Now, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, The Deer Hunter etc. Of course all of these films share themes about both the brutality (and particularly) the morality of war and although I would admittedly place those other films higher in terms of artistry, acting, cinematography etc. it’s still one of the great Vietnam war flicks, CoW’s subject matter is maybe just a little harder hitting than some of it’s peers.

1 Like

Would you count Jacob’s Ladder among that group? Goes a bit off the reservation, but the horrors of war are still significant to the goings on, if in a more roundabout way.

There isn’t a single movie that has impacted my life but definitely movies that gave me the “feels”. Stand By Me was the first, Lean On Me was the next. Shawshank Redemption and Green Mile were movies I deeply respected as well.

2 Likes

Maybe not necessarily in the same way, because I feel those films focus more with the literal horrors of the battlefield (The Deer Hunter obviously deals with the psychological aftermath more so.)
Whereas Jacob’s Ladder (although you’re right does allegorically speak on the horrors of war) it has more of that science fiction-y element to it which maybe just separates it from the more ‘traditional’ Vietnam films… still a fantastic movie though, be interesting to see how this new remake pans out.

THE TERMINATOR. Not just because of the technology and A.I. themes, but also because I remember seeing it kind of expecting that “This is going to be some cheap B-movie”… and then coming away shaken at how AAA it felt from story to performances… everything.

Life was simple before that film. I always thought you couldn’t make anything great without spending a large budget on it.

2 Likes

I have a hard time watching war movies but the ones you mention are the best of them. I recently watched Rescue Dawn and was able to get through most of it without breaking down completely before the end so maybe that says something for the director…

I really enjoyed the original Terminator. Gotta love when a movie scares you shitless but makes you skip school to watch the sequel.

3 Likes

Yeah as a child, that whole bit of the Terminator just walking through the fire and chasing poor Sara when Kyle Reese was already dead… that was really some incredible horror.

“How the hell does she get out of this alive? Wait! Maybe this is like those horror films where nobody survives?” I thought at the time.

1 Like

Fight Club
8 Mile
Up
Spider Man 2002

It’s definitely a horror film as far as I’m concerned. :expressionless:

1 Like