What Videogame(s) are you playing?

Just playing some GTAO, getting ready for RDR2. I don’t care about money at this point in the game, so I just act as a mercenary helping people complete their heist setups.

Been playing a lot of Crusader Kings II and Enter the Gungeon recently, both of which I’m shit at, however I feel like I’m getting better at as I play. Especially Crusader Kings II with all the mechanics and systems it has.

Been playing a bit of Overwatch a lot recently too, with the new Summer Games event starting last week, as well as sometimes playing Stardew Valley and Payday 2.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 (DEMO)

Basically a Japanese XCOM set in a fictionalized World War II.

There’s some really neat mechanics, combining turn-based strategy and real-time 3rd person shooter gameplay. I’m definitely thinking about getting the full game as I’m enjoying the demo so far.

I just finished this game on my PS4. It’s a simple game, in 2d. But I had a ot of fun. I’ve being a fan of Bud Spencer and Terence Hill since I was a child. And this is a deserved tribute to them.
I know they are famous outside Italy too. If you don’t know this game, I suggest you to try it

So I was going to play through Splinter Cell: Double Agent and Splinter Cell Blacklist, but I got sidetracked and played through Batman: Arkham Asylum and 100%'d the game for the first time since its original release. I was playing the Return to Arkham version of the game, and it’s just as enjoyable as I remember it being. The setting, the story, the riddles, the excellent cast of villains, the varied boss fights, and every other aspect of this game keep it fresh. It’s aged well too. To this day, it’s my favorite superhero game, and the one game that got me into Batman and his universe, alongside the Batman Begins and The Dark Knight films.

The challenge mode is brutal, downright agonizing, though, and I forgot just how infuriating some of the stages can be. I think the biggest problem here is the ridiculous difficulty spike between predator challenges (super easy to normal difficulty level challenges where you cling to the shadows and pick off your enemies one-by-one) and the combat challenges (ranging from a reasonable challenge to a “f***, I broke my controller and need to buy a new one” extreme level of difficulty (Luckily, I did not break any controllers, but man did I feel like breaking one).

The range of difficulty between the two game types is kind of a negative aspect of the game’s design, I think. I set out to beat them again, and the sense of accomplishment and reward for doing so, finally beating the Shock and Awe Extreme challenge and seeing the final achievement pop up saying you 100%'d the game, is just as marvelous as I remember. However, even I can’t excuse the fact that making players complete these side challenges to get those achievements/trophies for fully completing the game, seems kind of harsh. I can’t imagine most players going for them, save for the ones who love the game the most, and even they might turn away from the hardest challenges.

Then, I returned to Arkham City to complete that in my free time. Like Asylum, I played the game before, and I think City is fantastic in its own right, but I’ve always preferred the complete, undivided attention given to the main narrative in Asylum, with linearity being one of its great strengths, not one of its weaknesses. Side missions feel more distracting and incomplete, as I usually feel about most side content in most expansive games that feel they need them. Finding creative ways to implement characters like Zsasz or Hush into the main storyline would have been better than offshoot side missions imo. Every villain and side character felt integral to the story being told in Asylum, and the ones that had nothing to do with the main story didn’t need a side mission. In these side missions, heck, even Robin in the main storyline, the game seems to play off the novelty of players seeing a recognizable character and saying, “Hey look! Remember this guy?” In short, why did Robin have to be shown for less than 2 minutes of cutscenes and never appear again? What did he really do for players that couldn’t be done some other way, with another established character?

I get that some of these villains/heroes need to be shown, as it is a prison, and it wouldn’t make sense for these villains to be absent, but Mad Hatter is a cool character, so is Hush, and I think bringing them into the main story, not through a written entry in the Arkham City stories, would have been preferable. Even including a moment where Robin and Batman fight against Penguin’s henchmen, side-by-side, could have sufficed.

There are many times I’ve felt City slightly suffers because it is too ambitious. Sometimes it pays off, and other times it misses the mark. It wants to accomplish too many things, giving you so many gadgets, enemy types (shield thugs, stun baton guys, knife dudes, people throwing projectiles, armed thugs, titans, the one-armed hammer guys), areas to explore, a metric ton of side characters, so many changes and new additions to the combat, and an absurd amount of riddles, that I felt overwhelmed, becoming more distracted than entertained several times as I was playing. I want to feel like I am Batman, not like I’m playing as Batman, and that’s often how I felt.

Speaking of Riddler challenges, my biggest gripe was with those physical challenges. Why does Riddler care about testing Batman’s physical skills? He’s challenging the World’s Greatest Detective’s mind, not his body. He believes he can match wits with Batman in terms of intelligence, and even criticizes Batman’s use of “brute force” at one point in the game, so it feels like it makes even less sense to challenge him based on those physical skills. Also, why does Riddler insist on testing Catwoman, challenging her with trophies as well, for any reason other than breaking the fourth wall and giving the player more to do?

Catwoman, in general, is fun and a welcome addition to the game, providing more variety in the action, but I can’t shake the feeling that she’s more tacked on than truly essential or integral to anything that happens in Batman’s story, and that is unfortunate, and no, making her have one scene where she saves Batman doesn’t exactly make her presence in the story any more essential, and trying to explain her actions through the interviews comes off as lazy. Robin could have saved Batman if it was written differently. Talia, also, could have saved him. To solve this, I think one more scene with Catwoman interacting with Batman during the main storyline could’ve made her decision to save him more convincing .

Still, I think there are many positive aspects and improvements of the second game, and that goes without saying. Arkham City does light-years better with its final boss fight, ending on a much more compelling and powerful note. The final Titan Joker fight of Asylum felt weak in comparison to every other boss battle in that game, and I’m glad they learned from their mistakes. Arkham City does great work with many boss fights, but I think a lot of them feel more or less the same. You’re either forced into combat (the vast majority of story villains), or required to sneak up on your opponent (the vast majority of side mission villains, except for Mr. Freeze, easily the best boss battle in the game, simply because it follows the formula of what made the Scarecrow nightmare boss battles special in Asylum, as I’ll mention next. Sure you sneak up on him, but he adapts and hunts you down, and that’s a unique aspect of the fight ).

In Asylum, I felt like each boss battle was designed based on the villain you were fighting. The Mad Hatter is this game’s Scarecrow, bringing a similar sense of trickery and psychological games into his battle, but his boss battle throws you into combat with countless enemies, and lacks the psychological element I hoped the gameplay itself, not just the dialogue and cutscenes, might emphasize a bit more. It does a decent job, but there’s room for improvement and more unique moments. Clayface is a good twist for the game’s ending, and just makes for a compelling opponent in what is an absolutely intense fight. I don’t know what it is about this fight in particular that is so good, maybe the music and the location of the fight, but I love it, even if it feels remarkably similar to an earlier fight with another villain.

If every boss battle felt as intense as this final fight did, then I’d feel they’re all praiseworthy. As is, the battles are damn fun, but maybe not as memorable as they could have been. Still, compared to other games, I think they’re on the better end of the scale. Once again, this has to do with the substance and impressiveness of the characters themselves, who are well-written and intriguing. Like I said, Mr. Freeze is a good boss battle because the battle is centered around his abilities and powers, not Batman’s. You, as Batman, are tasked with adapting and thinking outside the box to defeat him. In Asylum, you’re entering Scarecrow’s world, as he himself states (and, amusingly, this boss says the same exact thing), and that means that you are left powerless until you use all your tools and stealth and mental skills to overcome his obstacles. In theory, you should be entering all the villains’ “worlds,” and trying to defeat them within their own rules. This makes the player feel weaker in a situation where the inmates effectively rule the prison/asylum, and that type of fight makes the most sense given the stories being told.

As for other improvements, the game also manages to add some gadgets that are just really cool to use, like the freeze blast, adding a whole new layer to exploration. That’s a big strength in the game, more variety to the methods the player can use to move about the city, and more than one option to solve a few of the Riddler puzzles. The improvements made to the line launcher are worth mentioning too. It can also be loads of fun to play mind games with your enemies, jamming their guns and appearing behind them or freezing them in place.

All in all, if I appear to be hard on these games, it’s because they’re among the best games I’ve played, Arkham Asylum being near perfect in my opinion, and, like Hitman, I want to see them become better. Even if we never get another Arkham game, we’ll definitely get another Batman game in the future. He’s too popular of a character to be left behind. The way Batman moves is far more fluid and precise here, and the combat requires more thinking and strategy, which was present in the first game, but in a far more simplistic and straightforward way. I also cannot say enough about the setting, its incredible attention to detail, and the story, both of which are just plain great. I believe that the stakes are higher in this game’s narrative than in the first game, making it, at its core, a better story, even if the problem I have is with the way or form in which the story is told.

Lastly, while the characters of Asylum appealed to me more, you can’t go wrong with the characters in Batman’s universe, and the cast here is still, as always, pretty frigging sweet, and even the design of every character in both games fuses together the right amount of the comic book world with a slightly realistic look. It’s a good combination present in both games. I haven’t played the two other games yet, but am likely going to play Knight very soon.

I 100% completed all the Arkham games except for Knight. Working on it currently, those riddler trophies are a pain in the ass but it’s worth seeing that 100% And Perfect Knight achievement show up lol.

The Arkham games will always be my favourites superhero games next to the original Spider-Man trilogy games. It goes to show how far we’ve gone from simple small games to these deeply lore and atmospheric ones.
I will always be biased to City for the fact that I played it first. The intro in of itself is one of the best I’ve seen in a video game. Hugo Strange’ s mockery and entering Arkham City as Bruce Wayne is such an interesting concept that it almost makes you wish you could play as gadget-less Bruce Wayne for a bit longer. Putting on the suit thereafter and gliding through the city has to be one of the most chilling moments. And it has in my opinion the best fights in the whole series. Ra’s Al Ghul is one of my favourites, the over comical intensity fits just so right. Discovering Solomon Grundy in Penguin’s basement is a true fun moment. Mr. Freeze being the only one to give Batman a true challenge and the mechanics of that fight are extremely satisfying. He’s the only villian to provoke a bit of terror in the player, the only time Batman doesn’t feel invincible. Although I’d wish the other boss fights would’ve been more interesting, I appreciate the inclusion of all the villains and their minor or large roles. Penguin being the failed mastermind, Two-Face being a pushover…it all fits so well. Hush and Azrael hyping up the next game with their cameos worked so well. I still get chills rememberomg the first time I encountered Hush’s first victim. While some may say covering the face in bandages for the victims was to keep a Teen rating, I think it works far better like that, not showing but telling really works in Arkham City and Arkham Asylum. Headshot and Zsasz were both a fun way to make you race halfway through the city and use your investigation skills.

By far the best moment of the Arkham series has to be the initation of Protocol 10. No moment felt more like Batman than sacrificing someone he loves to save countless criminals. It’s such a great and character moment that fits so well with his broken mentality. Then seeing everything crash and burn is such a beautiful moment. The ending is one of my favourites, such a perfect end. It’s one of the most tragic games and such an incredible atmosphere.

The combat is th most fun out of any game, no other game has been able to reach the tactics of mixing fun, intensity, and counterattacks better than Arkham. Every thug vatiant having a different way of disarming them is just so perfect. Its what pure skills looks like. Being able to defeat every wave without getting hit, breaking your combo, and maximizing your score by using as many gadgets and takedowns is just a combat system you can get lost in.

Arkham Asylum… a very atmospheric and dark game. My only problems were how simple the boss fights were. Traversing the locations like a detective and seeing all the criminals get free was a great moment. Scarecrow’s levels were by far the best. The amount of mind fucking that it makes you go through was interesting. All the Arkham games are masterpieces in their own way.

These two guys were my movie heroes when I was very young… maybe 5 years old! :smiley:

Spider-Man games are great too. The classic game for the PS1, the movie trilogy games like you mentioned from the 2000s, and even Ultimate Spider-Man, the one game I know of where you can actually play as Venom and roam/destroy the world freely all come to mind. The only other superhero games that I remember loving in the past were Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and Marvel Ultimate Alliance (even The Incredibles, which is technically a superhero game, was one I played as a kid, and was impressed by. It was a movie tie-in game but it miraculously managed to be fun).

The only other game I know of that can possibly be considered as rivaling Arkham in this style of combat is Shadow of Mordor (I’d imagine the same can be said for Shadow of War). Battles in that game are so intense too, and enemies can retreat if they feel intimidated enough. Assassin’s Creed, at least when I last played it, handled combat poorly, lacking a lot of the excitement I’d expect from fights. Both Shadow of Mordor and Arkham mix together the right amount of challenge and fun, making for an intense trainwreck (for the bad guys dumb enough to fight each games’ respective heroes) that you can’t help but watch.

Asylum’s challenge mode maps frustrated me, but when I look back, I can never find any way to blame the game for my own failures. I got the highest score on the Shock and Awe Extreme challenge map twice in the third round, but ran out of time in the fourth and final round. I do think the difficulty spike is a little too extreme, but it’s fun.

One thing I would’ve liked seeing was a set of challenge maps set around each boss fight, but changed in some ways so that they could feel more challenging or different each and every time you play them. I was thinking of one mode where you’re stuck endlessly in one of Scarecrow’s nightmares, and the environments continuously change. It’d be the same as the Scarecrow dlc, but focusing on the stealth aspect of his battles. You have to last for as long as you can without being seen. For Bane, you could face off against him until you die, facing an endless wave of other enemies alongside him. Imagine Bane and two Titans if you get to a high enough level. Killer Croc could be scared off with two batarangs instead of one. The list goes on as to what could have been done to make the challenge mode more worthwhile. Or maybe they could have remixed the boss battles together, so you have to avoid Ivy’s vines while hiding from Scarecrow, and the next level could require you to move slowly to remain undetected by Croc, while avoiding Scarecrow’s gaze and Ivy’s vines. Joker and Bane could fight you together, and you have to climb onto Bane’s back to beat down Joker and then fight Bane in order to win. There’s a lot they could have done that probably would’ve made the challenge mode better, and somewhat excuse the simplicity of the boss battles, but I’m happy with what we’ve gotten in both games regardless. There are definitely shittier Batman games out there, so it’s hard to find or focus on much fault in these two games.

At the end of the City, I kept thinking of Joker’s line “You complete me” from The Dark Knight. Sure, that was a line poking fun at Jerry Maguire, but in a way, Batman and Joker really do complete each other as perfect polar opposites, dealing with chaos and order, anarchy and justice. The ending, as I said, really resonated with me for this reason, whereas I didn’t get the same feeling from Asylum, though that ending worked for what it was (just wish the boss battle was better designed).

I actually think these games benefit from a teen rating, as it requires more attention to the finer details of the game’s story. It doesn’t permit the developers to just focus on over-the-top violence and gore, or being as edgy as humanly possible, and makes them come up with a better end product. Alan Wake is another game that I’d argue, after much consideration, benefits from the design choice to cater to a younger audience as well.

I’m worried that Knight will get too realistic and gritty, and somewhat abandon the comic book goofiness and unrealistic art style that made the first two games stand out. Graphically, it’s superb, but artistically, the realistic look doesn’t hook me as much. Batman Begins and The Dark Knight movies hooked me because they didn’t entirely shun the comic book roots, even if they were live action movies, and Dark Knight Rises felt like a weaker movie simply because it moved away from the comic book roots a little more than it should have. Not that it matters though, it’s an Arkham game, so I’m remaining very optimistic and look forward to playing it.

Definitely, Spider-Man games from PS1 to Spider-Man Edge of Time ate one of the few games that compete in the superhero video game genre and do almost excellent.

The only thing that I would’ve loved to see in the Arkham games would be all characters free roam and the ability to replay boss fights. As they are one if the most fun parts of the game.

Arkham Origins borrows heavily from the Dark Knight movie and yet still presents fun gameplay and a good story. There were some things I didn’t enjoy but it brought new characters and made it truly interesting to play through. It feels weird but never bad.

Arkham Knight brings loads of content. My advice is to buy the season pass. Brings lots of content to the game. Around 7 characters to play in the challenge maps including Batman, Catwoman, Robin, and Nightwing, Harley Quinn and a few more (which makes it way harder to complete tho lol)
The combat adds new enemy types and newer ways to battle them, the Batmobile is fun to cruise around in. Just keep in mind that there are almost no boss fights unfortunately. There are encounters with lots of side characters and main villains but it’s usually a few simple punches and thats all, and you use the Batmobile a lot. I kept it in mind and it didn’t bother me but many people who didn’t know thought it overstayed its welcome. Yet there is a lot to like many loose ends tied up. Some can be a bit disappointing and others can be very well done. I don’t spoil which, but there is one particular one that was both tragic and fitting. And if you enjoyed Scarecrow messing with you in Arkham Asylum, he messes with you quite a lot during the game. It’s really fun and dripping with atmosphere. Seriously, it’s an insanely fun ride. The Season Pass also brings two of my favourite challenges in the Arkham series. Around 3 endless combat maps (one of them being the Iceburg Lounge from City) and 1 predator map, Endless Knight, basically an endless predator map. It’s a lot of fun to mess around with all 7 characters. Definitely worth the cheap price it’s at now.

What are the Shenmue games like?

I stil keep watching their movies. And I’m 32 years old :rofl::grinning::joy:

How can I describe them? The games are a unique mixture of kung-fu fighting game (the creator of this series also was behind the Virtua Fighter series if I remember right), dramatic, emotional murder mystery (with you assuming the role of the detective, searching for clues and questioning other people for information), and a game that, to a much lesser extent, attempts to become a real life simulator (meaning there’s the passage of time, you can get jobs in both games, and there is not a single npc you can’t talk to), all set within the far east, Japan and China to be specific.

A lot of people take these games too seriously, I think, because they were mainly an experiment for the times, to see if such a game could be created and enjoyed. Can a game really tell an emotional story, having players solve a mystery and seek revenge for a crime committed, while being able to explore an open world, allowing players to speak with anyone in the world, and any of them may be able to help you complete your objectives, all while making it a cinematic game based on kung-fu movies, complete with fighter game styled combat and quick time events? It’s one of those games series that tries so hard to become realistic that it often takes a detour toward hilarious and goofy, much like Tommy Wiseau’s The Room. However, this only adds to the charm for many people.

They’re not games for everyone, and they probably haven’t aged well, but these games attempted to do something that is still unique even today.

I got back to MGSV after losing the disk for two months (it was fucked up).
8.5/10, still prefer MGS3 or Hitman: Blood Money

Anyone here on PS4 grab Dead By Daylight? I’ve been playing that quite a bit lately. I even got the Leatherface DLC.

Sweeet, happy to hear that it’s good. Looks like my kind of game, has that weird, wooden and almost mysterious feeling to it judging from the footage I’ve seen. I’ll try to snag the PS4 re releases soon. Thanks man, you’ve got me sold

I’ve actually been playing alot of Hitman Season One lately. As much as I love the Hitman games, they are games that I have to be in the mood to play. Stealth games require patience, and honestly, alot of the time I don’t have it. It’s one of the reasons why I wasn’t a huge fan of the episodic structure or the Elusive Targets, since alot of the time when they would come out, I felt like I had to force myself to play them if I wasn’t in the mood.

Still, I’ve gone back now since I’m getting hyped for Hitman 2, and I’m trying to do alot of the stuff I skimmed over, mainly Escalations, Contracts and the Patient Zero missions. I don’t mind Escalations, I did do a few of them before, but I just sort of see them as a side activity, and that is it. It doesn’t help that it feels like a lot of them wind up devolving into basically gunning down everyone, like one has me always have a pistol equipped but I’m not allowed to wear a security disguise. There is also that terrible one where you have to find a hidden remote which is hidden underneath a pillow in Paris with no clue to find it.

Contracts are fine, but finding ones I really enjoy is rare. I must admit, probably showing off how I’m not that great at the game, but half the time it seems like I get a contract where I have no clue how to pull it off, and I simply don’t want to dedicate an hour to figure it out. I hope Contracts get improved in Hitman 2.

When Patient Zero came out, I bought it, played each mission a couple of times, then put it down. I don’t regret buying it considering the uncertain state of IOI at the time, but I do think it was overpriced for what it was. Still, I am playing The Author and finding that to be a pretty great, if small mission. The Bangkok mission isn’t great I find, it still suffers from the problems the main Bangkok mission has. The Colorado sniper mission honestly just feels very janky. It’s a nice idea but it felt like an inferior Sniper Challenge, and now that Hitman 2 will have this Sniper Assassin game mode, I feel like there isn’t much reason to go back to it. Who knows though, if the PZ missions get the Hitman 2 updates as well, maybe the Colorado mission will become more like Sniper Assassin. And the Patient Zero mission is fun but feels very gimmicky with the virus mechanic. The way it spreads so quickly makes it very difficult to play it other than me running around gunning everyone down.

More than anything else I’m so excited for Hitman 2 to be releasing as a complete game. I didn’t mind the Episodic structure per se, but I love getting immersed in one game for a chunk of time before moving onto another. I couldn’t really do that with season 1.

I just started to play Resident Evil 7 with VR. VR is very good , but I can’t play more then 30 minutes or I feel very bad.

You mean you feel sick? Or you mean you feel scared?

Sick. I’ve been playing horror games since I was 12 years old. That’s not a problem. But If I play too much with VR, then I have to run to the bathroom and vomit. I can’t resist, even if I want to play more