What's New....?

The IL Primary is happening now. There has been a high amount of buzz around it bc the Democratic Party and many of their aligned PACs have been dumping money into Republican Darren Bailey (a full blown trump lunatic), and airing anti Richard Irving ads (he’s the non lunatic Republican who might actually be able to beat the incumbent Democrat).

It must be working though bc I saw about 20 millennials walk in in front of me. A couple with pro choice T shirts on, one with a shirt that said “Bernie 2016… alright fine, Hillary 2016” and they all asked for a Republican primary ballot :joy:
I love politics :heart: :ballot_box:

2 Likes

Literally anything but run a Progressive candidate with sensible ideas. This tactic is stupid and dangerous even if they wanted a moderate Democrat to win.

1 Like

Without endorsing or condemning, my cousin (mom’s brother’s daughter) is running for one of the Illinois House seats from the Lake County-ish area. I don’t live anywhere near there, but I do wish her the best.

2 Likes

There isn’t a progressive candidate running in IL. JB Pritzger is the incumbent and he’s a moderate democrat. The only democrat challenging him is an army veteran who has literally no chance of winning the primary and even less of winning the general election. They just don’t want a fight come the general if they don’t have to have one.

3 Likes

I still think it is dangerous to expand the platform of the craziest candidate you are up against, I see what they are doing they want to repeat what happened in California where the Republicans picked Larry Elder who was unelectable to powerful portions of Cali. But the thing is the Democrats pulled a “Never interrupt an enemy while he is making a mistake” sort of thing and I fear Illinois isn’t as broadly blue as California’s blue strongholds.

Even a moderate Republican is far better than one of the crazy Trump-style lunatics if the worse comes to worse and the Republicans do win the overall state election.

1 Like

I get what you’re saying. I’m assuming their calculus is built around suburban voters and white women who wont vote for a pro trump guy but might vote for a cut my taxes and restore the police power guy.

We had a GOP governor from 2015-18, he didn’t do too much damage bc the statehouse is always blue. The Dems have had the IL lower house since 1997 and the IL senate since 2003. Prior to Rauner 15-18, the last GOP Governor left office in 2002.

2 Likes

It’s not Oberweiss is it? That guy runs all the time it seems like. He wins and he runs again and he loses and he runs again, I don’t think he cares if he wins or not, but he likes to always run.

I’m really just asking bc I love oberwieiss and if you’re related I want some chits for free milkshakes and malts and my god that chocolate milk is to die for!!!

1 Like

There are no “moderate” republicans. There are the ones who are loud and crazy and evil and think about the immediate gains, and then there are those that are more reserved, less crazy, just as evil, and thinking about the long-term gains. While what you say makes sense, I think the moderate quieter republicans will do more damage in the long run, while the crazy ones are helping to bring the party down more fundamentally, despite the damage they’re doing here and now, because of how they expose what the party really is to those who are undecided or independent, and those are the ones whose votes actually matter.

4 Likes

Aw fuck you are right, I completely forgot they are all nuts. Sometimes rational thinking means I treat clearly irrational people as though they were rational.

3 Likes

Don’t feel bad, I’ve been there, too. Sometimes Donald Trump and Mitch McConnell have gone head to head on a subject and I’ve tried to decide whose side I should be on, who I’ve wanted to see lose the most, only to go, “wtf am I doing?! To hell with both of them! You don’t pick sides in a fight between OJ and Cosby, do you?!”

No republicans are preferable over others, not in principle. It’s just a matter of choosing the one you think will fall fastest, and therefore do less long-lasting damage, should they win this round.

3 Likes

No, Mason. She has been in the General Assembly since 2019 and is running as an incumbent this time around.

2 Likes

Well there it goes my hopes and dreams of free ice cream.

I love that place (or rather all those places. I think they have like 40 now including some as far as Texas).

1 Like

Kind of ridiculous seeing Converge play an all seated gig at Alexandra Palace. 5 seconds in and I wanted to start ripping up the seats lmao

3 Likes

The eagles have a no standing up rule now. It’s bc a lot of their audience members can no longer stand up, but the same is true of other bands (Grateful Dead) and they don’t have the same rule. It’s nuts to go to a rock show where no one can stand up.

1 Like

People kinda had enough by the last 2 songs and stood up in their seats. Luckily most of the Bloodmoon stuff is pretty slow and gloomy compared to what Converge usually do - But they opened it with Viscera of Men which just made people want a riot immediately!!

3 Likes

On my way to see Maid of Ace tonight! Super excited to finally see them live!

3 Likes

The tickets to Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party at Disney World go on sale at midnight US east coast time (if you’re staying at a Disney owned hotel). I gotta wait another 10 hours.

3 Likes

Me and some friends are finally heading to Lanzarote, our flight leaves in 6 hours :smiley:

12 Likes

It is currently 12:50 am US east coast time. I got my tickets to Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party at Disney World. I’m going to bed.

4 Likes

Very much looking forward to a local festival. First one in three years for me. On my plan for today: Mando Diao and Emilie Zoé. Maybe a few more. Tomorrow I plan on seeing Joy Crookes, Annenmaykantereit and Deichkind, on Saturday Giant Rooks, Enola Gay, maybe Muse (don’t like them but probably great atmosphere) and Alan Walker. And on Sunday: Years & Years, Milky Chance and Marteria.
Here’s the full lineup:

7 Likes