Why does nobody ever appreciate you saving their life?

The priest in Sapienza, the fake mascot in Miami, Ken Morgan in Bangkok (granted you’re going to kill that one later) all freak out, become witnesses, compromise your disguise etc etc when you kill people who are about to kill them, or even actively in the process of killing them. I just spent a while knocking out the top floor of the construction site in Mumbai to see if I could take Rangan out undetected while he’s threatening the ‘rat’, only for the bastard to freak out and compromise me. Granted Rangan isn’t trying to kill him, but come on, he’s holding him by the neck over the edge of a tall building. 47’s far from a hero so I get not being rewarded for being heroic, but a simple thanks (and more importantly not spoiling my SA) would be appreciated haha.

5 Likes

It sounds good on paper but I guess the reason is some wild modifications to how the AI works. I can imagine this feature needs alot of knots to be opened. And then it would not affect the usual player that much (so few NPCs you save).

8 Likes

How can you forget Agent Smith?

9 Likes

True lol, I was going to mention that, at least he’s appreciative as usual.

3 Likes

But he showcases how much of an issue it is to make that work. Smith in Hokkaido is basically a blind NPC with an extra script that, when the player manages to do that, teleports back to the fridge if he ever leaves it.

3 Likes

And that is the reason why C47 is the best Hitman game(Mei Ling). :stuck_out_tongue:
@MrOchoa

3 Likes

I’m sure one could argue that some of these aren’t ones that Smith owes 47, as much as the Agency. In Hokkaido 47 doesn’t save Smith as an objective, while in at least a few of the other ones it’s literally his job to save him.

2 Likes

The Blackmailer in Miami is an ungrateful… (thing) too.

3 Likes

i also think he’s just… not that smart :stuck_out_tongue: because his count of his interactions of 47 just doesn’t match up with any metric

1 Like

The thing to remember about any game is that everything is centered on you, the player. Unlike the real world, here all the characters’ actions are crafted around responding to you, unless a special event is scripted. That’s why characters sometimes walk into areas they shouldn’t have access to, or walk obliviously past people that they should recognize.

Something like gratitude would be specially coded into each incident. For example the blackmailer will react normally to a weapon or murder witnessed in front of him… unless the murder takes place after Sierra starts to push him. It would be neat if they did that, but each one of these good ideas becomes extra work for the coders. :pensive:

There is example of gratitude that I remember. It is the manor mission where you have to assassinate two people and rescue the boy who is going to be hunted. The Hitman asks him if he can escape on his own. He says “God bless you, pal,” before running off and leaving the game. But again that is a specially scripted event.

2 Likes

Plus in nearly all of those cases Smith had some essential intel; without that 47 wouldn’t be able to finish the job.

3 Likes

Yes I get it, especially seeing as with the exception of Mumbai all those events are essentially easter eggs that the player has to manipulate into happening and most won’t see. Still though it’s a bit immersion breaking that for example the guy being choked out at the top of a tall building acts really concerned that the guy choking him is hurt if you even just knock him out.

@Canaletto

3 Likes

It’s something thats always bugged me. Surely all that needs to be done to fix it is by making them an invisible enforcer (or whatever they’re called) if you kill a specific NPC at a specific time. I’m no game designer but I cant imagine that taking too long to code.

1 Like

I was thinking they could turn off those NPCs’ “vision” at the point they’re being murdered, and then you wouldn’t even have to turn it on again, because either they’ll be dead so they can’t see anything anyway, or if they’re still alive it’s because the player saved them, and if someone had just saved my life I’d be pretty forgiving of witnessing them commit any crimes around me.

5 Likes

One of the few good Parts about Absolution, even though the Snack Seller earlier in the Game compromises you for killing Larry Clay, even if it saves his life.

1 Like

That’s true, though I killed Clay as fast as possible, in Hopes of getting a Thank You or something. instead I get a compromised and play as Absolution like usual… as a Shooter xD

1 Like

I was thinking they could turn off those NPCs’ “vision” at the point they’re being murdered

That does sound like a good possibility. Like the way a sickened enforcer becomes unable to identify you while he’s ill. So that principle already exists in the game.

3 Likes

I’d love if they just script an override to make those NPCs you save to “VIP” or something like that where they are now essentially allies and won’t tattle on you. Oh well. Maybe next game.

4 Likes