Why doesn't he have a Romanian accent?

I mean he was raised in an Asylum in Romania?

1 Like

Good point. But British is more charming and this is coming from a Romanian.

I always wondered what language he spoke there. Did Ort Meyer also spoke Romanian or he had some qualified staff who spoke German\English and translated everything to the staff?

Well Bateson is a British South African, he uses an American accent when voicing 47

Well it’s not full British but still there is some in it. I wouldn’t call it american accent.

According to the old lore Ort-Meyer used former Foreign Legionnaires whenever possible so they probably had a wide variety of languages and accents.

Moreso now there is the Providence angle.

3 Likes

Simple. An assassin with a Romanian accent is far more obvious than one with a British accent. O-M just trained the clones to have something as close to an British accent as possible.

3 Likes

Some levels in Codename 47 take place in the asylum, the NPC’s in those levels have a pretty obvious (Eastern European) accent. It could have been a choice by Ort-Meyer to raise 47 with the American language to hide his origins. If he spoke with a Romanian/German accent it would perhaps be too obvious that he is a creation of the crazy genetic scientist Ort-Meyer, who is a German living in Romania.

I don’t think so either, but I enjoy making up lore-friendly explanations for these kind of things :smiley:

Funny, I’d placed him the other side of the pond, it’s not a British accent, maybe between the two. I did talk to a few Austrians about Arnie; his English sounds sort of Austrian/Germanic but to them it sounds American (that might also have been his German).

I think the more pertinent question is why does this guy with German, Austrian, Chinese, Kazakh, and Colombian fathers, have the pigment of a fucking snowstorm

2 Likes

Schwarzenegger’s birthday is tomorrow by the way.

2 Likes

Maybe Ort-Meyer was racist?

1 Like

Because being cracker factory white means he is less suspicious in all those American missions.

2 Likes

New favourite term.

3 Likes

How about “country club white”

1 Like

Bateson said in an interview it’s after an American actor. I mean, inevitably when someone does an accent, a bit of their own comes out. Plus it was intended to be American so it would sell better, seeing as American culture is prevalent round da world.

nein, just a german scientist