Why hippos that are native to Africa are in Hitman 2's Columbia destination

How this drug lord created a hippo problem in Colombia

Kingpin Pablo Escobar ran the Medellin drug cartel that controlled 80% of the global cocaine market in the 1980s. With his drug money, Pablo built a zoo called the Hacienda Napoles near his lavish estate, and stocked it with exotic animals including 4 hippos (1 male / 3 females) imported from Africa.

After his murder in 1993, the Columbian government dismantled the estate, but left the hippos to themselves along the Magdalena River.

These 1.5 tonne, cocaine hippos have reproduced quickly since and now number more than 50 hippos. These hippos wreak havok on local Columbian communities.

IO Interactive does their homework in creating destinations populated with realistic environmental hazards, which includes the African hippo associated with the estate of a Columbian drug kingpin.

On another note, the secret tomb in the Altar Cavern, located between the Delgado Mansion and the Construction Site in Santa Fortuna is a shout out to the legendary Temple of the Chachapoyan Warriors (South America, 1936) that housed a prized golden fertility idol retrieved by Indiana Jones in the movie Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981).

Furthermore, Indiana Jones gives up the golden idol outside the temple, but according to the movie, regains the golden idol later from a black market antiquities dealer, who happens to be located in Marrakesh, Morocco.

I wonder if there is a link between the choice of Marrakesh, Morocco as a Hitman 2016 location because of Indiana Jones …

8 Likes

I was wondering about the Hippo reference. It never occurred to me that the Hippos were connected to a real life fascination of Pablo Escobar with these animals.

That said, there was always something authentic about Rico Delgado and his whole Hippo love thing that I’m actually not surprised to learn that a real life drug kingpin thought about identifying himself in some way with these animals.

I am guessing the whole private museum to oneself is also rooted in some version of reality.

Pablo Escobar has a brother Roberto Escobar which is reminiscent to Rico having a brother, Hektor Delgado. Roberto Escobar was nicknamed El Osito or “Little Bear”, who served as the accountant for the Medellin Cartel in Columbia. He spent more than ten years in prison after his brother’s death. He was blinded in one eye by a letter bomb while in prison.

Younger brother Roberto has run a private museum in Medellin for his brother Pablo Escobar, called the “Casa museo Pablo Escobar”. According to Trip Advisor, entrants get to meet and greet with Roberto Escobar himself, if you pay the $35 USD entry fee. The Columbian government has recently closed down the private museum.

I am not aware that you could get a glimpse of the bloody “Headsplitter” baseball bat and other Hitman 2 references at the private museum dedicated to Pablo Escobar.

1 Like

LIke Rico Delgado, Pablo Escobar had a wife Maria Victoria, but uncountable numbers of extramarital affairs. In spite of his insane number if affairs, Pablo had remained married to Maria Victoria until his death. Pablo and Maria Victoria Escobar had two children.

Besides the private museum, there is also truth in the use of submarines in transporting Pablo Escobar’s cocaine from Columbia…

In the mid-1980s, at the height of its power, the MedellĂ­n Cartel was shipping as much as 11 tons of cocaine per flight in jetliners to the United States. They possessed fifteen big airliners, including a Learjet and six helicopters.

Roberto Escobar also claims that his brother, Pablo also employed two small submarines to transport massive loads of cocaine. The biggest load shipped by Pablo Escobar was 51,000 pounds (23,000 kg) mixed with fish paste and shipped via boat.

The name of the largest network of cocaine processing laboratories for the Medellin cartel was called “tranquilandia” (Tranquility-land). It consisted of a complex of 19 laboratories along the Yari River, deep within the Columbian jungle.

If anyone is more of the reading type, (like me :stuck_out_tongue: )

The “Jhon Jairo Velásquez Vásquez” alias “Popeye” was an infamous Hitman confessing to 257 personal killings for the Medellin Cartel.

More about one of Escobar’s Hitman:

Velásquez was once in a relationship with Wendy Chavarriaga Gil, a former lover of his boss Pablo Escobar. They were laying in bed one day when the phone rang; on the other end was a recording of Wendy speaking with DEA agents. Velásquez hung up the phone and shot Wendy fatally twice in the forehead, in a fit of rage. As his main sicario and Escobar’s right hand man, “Popeye” performed the murder himself even though she was the woman he loved. He was loyal to Escobar until the King of Cocaine released him of his duties while on the run.

Jhon Jairo Velásquez Vásquez is still alive and controversial. In a posted YouTube Video in December 2016, “Popeye” proudly states, "proudly states, “Hello warriors, I’m here in the streets of my beloved Medellín, testing out my beautiful 9mm Pietro Beretta. We’re firing it, it’s a doll, a beauty!”

Ex-CIA agents found Pablo Escobar’s sunken cocaine submarine (NY Post Jan 24, 2018)

1 Like

Stacks of money in basement in Rico Delgado mansion…

During the height of the Medellin Cartel, Pablo Escobar was making $420 million dollars per week. Escobar was spending more than $2,500 USD per month just in the cost of rubber bands needed to hold stacks of bills together.

1 Like

Fascinating! They could have built an entire campaign just revolving around Rico Delgado!

Would be better than that Subject 6 crap… :stuck_out_tongue:

… The explosive package that you use to assassinate Andrea Martínez is reminiscent to the letter bomb received by Roberto Escobar in prison.

While on the run from authorities, Pablo Escobar torched $2 million in crisp banknotes just to keep the family warm in a hideout in the Medellín mountainsides when Escobar’s daughter Manuela became hypothermic, says Juan, Pablo Escobar’s son.

Escobar’s hitman is still alive and is free after serving jailtime.
This interview gives glimpse into the operations of escobar’s through first hand witness.

Look at the HITMAN logo. :grinning:

3 Likes