Windows 10

Windows 10 is now available. You can get it free if you have Windows 7, 8, 8.1

You can either wait for it to download on it’s own. Or you can force download it. Like I am doing right now.

To force download it, follow the directions at the following link:

• Special note. There is one step on there - (deleting a folder) - that is listed that you don’t have to do which is correctly pointed out by one of the people - (Jeff) - who posted a comment on the site:

This works for me as well. I was able to force download Windows 10 without having to delete said folder at all… As I’m writing this, the download is currently at 88 percent. Been downloading for a while now.

Edit / Update:

• While not deleting the contents of the folder that was mentioned in the article that I provided the link for, worked fine for some people, in the end it didn’t work for me after all. Even though Windows 10 was able to download for me, it wouldn’t install as it kept giving me an error message. So it turns out that deleting that particular content from that folder was the correct thing to do after all. I deleted it, but didn’t empty the recycle bin just in case.

Afterwards, Windows Update re-downloaded Windows 10. But this time, when it finished, it didn’t give me any error message. Instead it instructed me to reboot my computer to install Windows 10.

Windows 10 has successfully installed on to my computer.

So far it’s turning out to be a wash for me. It claimed to have downloaded,but it failed in it’s final phases to attempt to install. Some people on that website claim it worked for them. Well, I’m going to keep trying. Perhaps it is that too many people are trying to download it and that could be causing the problem. I don’t know.

Hello Sean…I have been checking on the web…microsoft is suggesting a clean install…I am on the fence because i am running on linux and want windows 10 on a virtual box…or I may just keep using wine on linux…i’m at a crossroad?

I’ll just wait untill it’s my turn, plus i don’t want Windows 10 with all the “children’s diseases”. Better wait untill a little after launch.

2 Likes

You didn’t get the update option yet?

No not yet. I don’t mind if it’s in 2-3 weeks. I’m not in the hurry.

Does that mean installing it on a USB flash drive for example first?

Or is there just going to be an option to clean install by way of Windows Update?

If a flash drive is required, then I have to wait until I get paid this Friday in order to get one. But that’s only just a couple of days away.

Yes. Good idea. As there will more than likely be some initial problems that Microsoft will need to fix.

I am not sure you can do it as an ISO download…has to be legal copy of windows with key from what i am seeing…i think it is a boot in safe mode with internet option…ign had how to do it about a week ago…i forgot the steps…they show how to update step by step.

Sometimes Microsoft tells people to download a legal ISO that they put together themselves to a flash drive. And then install the operating system by way of the flash drive.

But so far none of the stuff I have been reading about Windows 10 on the internet mentions a flash drive or ISO. So I don’t know.

Gonna wait a month or so before downloading

With the problems that myself and some others are currently having getting it to install after download, it will more than likely be a month before Microsoft gets these issues sorted out.

1 Like

I wonder how games are running / will be running on it.

1 Like

Me too. I’m wondering how the Hitman games will run. I’m thinking if there’s any problems, just put them into Compatibility Mode. And hopefully that will work.

In official CD Project Red forums people are saying that Witcher 3 runs “rock solid” and even with few extra fps on Windows 10 if you have a decent rig. That’s good to hear when you consider how massive and graphics-heavy that game is.

Turns out deleting that particular content from that folder was the correct thing to do after all. I deleted it, but didn’t empty the recycle bin just in case.

Afterwards, Windows Update re-downloaded Windows 10. But this time, when it finished, it didn’t give me any error message. Instead it instructed me to reboot my computer to install Windows 10.

I’m doing that now on. On the screen says: Configuring Update For Windows 10…

(Typing this post from my iPhone)

I just installed Windows 10.
Looks good and i have no problems so far. :smiley:

Oh cool. Looking forward to trying mine.

I’m on Windows 7 and intend to use it maybe till windows 12 or something like that. I didn’t like 8 for nothing and 10 seems pretty much the same

Well i would not wait to long, Windows 10 is the final Windows and will be here for years to come http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/7/8568473/windows-10-last-version-of-windows

1 Like

Oh wow. This is really something. Thank you for the link.

I never thought I would ever see the day of a final version of Windows.