Freelancer - Hardcore Mode Differences

They meant unused by them during play.

2 Likes

ooooooohhhhh…Okay.

Yeah, that makes a bit more sense now. Went a bit too literal there, sorry for that.

2 Likes

Yeah I worded myself poorly.

1 Like

I rarely play Master mode so I forget its rules until I come into Hardcore Freelancer.

The disguise one is a lesson I’ve learned the hard way.

However, to clarify and further add to your point: Drowning an NPC will prevent you from taking their disguise. As I would not consider this blood-letting, it’s worth noting.

(Fiber wiring them, which again is not blood-letting, will not ruin the disguise.)

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ve updated the top post.

As for combat mechanics. I also have no problem with them. However, my go-to strategy is to immediately find somewhere that has one point of entry and kill-funnel the guards until their resources are exhausted. If I can readily flee then I’ll opt for that instead.

Now, whilst combat feels perfectly reasonable to me. there are occasions where the reason for entering combat seems wrong - such as panic contagion where everyone’s “turning orange” (in instinct) because they just know you’ve done something.

3 Likes

100% this. The mandatory, un-rerollable POs are what’s keeping me from switching permanently.

I don’t even mind most of them, but sometimes you end up with one impossible PO (open safe when you only have safeless maps, or perfect run when your normal objectives don’t work with each other or for the amount of targets) and have to choose between two time-limited ones, which I consider just not fun. There’s challenging gameplay, which is fine, and stuff I just don’t enjoy and don’t want to do.

Boring normal mode it is. If they added a re-roll option or a forth PO to choose from, I’d probably never look back. I enjoyed the rest of hardcore mode.

Had no idea that drowning ruins disguises in hardcore, btw. Have I really never drowned anyone whose disguise I needed??

2 Likes

And the biggest difference is: basically most of the NPCs can see through walls. HC is hard enough as it is, but with that bullshit it borders on unplayable.

2 Likes