Original Music

I have a lot of stuff in varying stages of completion, but nothing totally finished. These two on my SoundCloud are probably each one more session away from being considered finalized. Otherwise, I write stuff that’s just long enough to use as soundtrack to short films and whatnot.

Anyone else?

Music Thread

I’ve already spammed the music thread numerous times but I take every chance I get haha! Here you go.

(just noticed my song has 47 plays woohoo!)

Your music sounds very interesting. Good melodies. You should try to record the acoustic guitar with a mic. I think that would make a big difference in the sound design. Also try to add varying drum patterns/fills. Everything other than the drums seem dynamic so you’re definately on the right way.

(take my advice with a grain of salt. I’m an amateur)

@Quinn @Grim @HHCHunter get in here you beautiful people

Man, I really like that Sapienza track, reminds me of the Down Tempo Jesper Kyd stuff.

Oh thank you so much. I really appreciate that

Nice stuff @CaptainBodaggit and @Pissfloyd.

I’d generally agree with what Pissfloyd said about recording guitars. You can sometimes get away with using a preamp or amp modeller, but I prefer to use it for more washy sounds as it’s hard to get a convincing distorted guitar sound through them alone. I believe @AlexNiedt I’d a recording engineer so he can also give tips for that - I was a FOH emgineer so I had less experienced with recording - I was all about the loud and live :slight_smile:

Anyway, here’s some of my shit. This is all stuff I wrote and recorded in my bedroom so there isn’t much to it, just demos and ideas. I also play in a band but we don’t have anything recorded yet - We’ve got studio sessions in a few weeks though.

Ah, cool. Some nice moody stuff in here.

I’m in/have been in a few bands over the years. Not sure if you’ll like any of it. It’s not exactly chart topping :smile:

wiremother - angular, noisy, punk-rock. Production isn’t wonderful.

Black Light Brigade - lo-fi, improvised, bit stoner, regressive rock. No rehearsals or songs. We literally turn up at gigs and play. Surprisingly, we get away with it more often than not. All mistakes are deliberate :smile:

Let Our Enemies Beware - riffy, angsty, bit mathy, punk-rock. This one isn’t indicative of the rest of the output, mind.

Been playing the guitar in the same band for years and years now, and we’ve finally made it to that next level on the career ladder. We finally got a label, a deal, an agent, believers in the business, etc. It’s really vindicating.

We’re recording our debut album right now, and it will hopefully be out this fall. Really exciting. No matter the succes or lack thereof, it’s always been a dream to have my album on the shelves.:slight_smile:

If any of you are interested in following us, you’re very welcome to join us on our Facebook page (shameless self promotion). I’ll check out the stuff you guys when I get home from work, haha!

This is my kinda jam. Scrappy, violent post-punk doesn’t need great production, and oftentimes the more raw the recording the more spirited it is. Good stuff! What are you playing in these bands? I’ve only listened to Wiremother so far but I like it a lot.

I used to play in a somewhat similar band, we did the angular and noisy parts but also had an evil metal streak too. Here’s a tune…

[quote=“Fleur, post:7, topic:6298”]
Been playing the guitar in the same band for years and years now, and we’ve finally made it to that next level on the career ladder. We finally got a label, a deal, an agent, believers in the business, etc. It’s really vindicating.[/quote]

You guys rock! Big sound. Congratulations on your recent success - The music industry is incredibly fickle so I’m glad you’ve made some allies.

Thanks! Glad you like it. The production isn’t messy enough for my liking. The Black Light Brigade stuff was recorded on a four track and a dictaphone and sounds wonderfully horrible. The other stuff is of a similar ilk. I play guitar/do vocals on all the tracks.

Really liked the Comets stuff! More please! It’s got a Botch feel to it which I can’t say many bands can get near (though it also sounds like it’s own thing). Sounds really complicated.

You heard of Botch? I assume so but if not, you’d love them!

Oh yeah! We actually had a review of our EP that compared us to Botch and we basically shat ourselves with delight. I believe the exact quote used was “their fantastic botch-bothering new EP”.

Here’s every song we ever did. Hopefully the link still works.

https://mega.co.nz/%23!uVAHFY7I!pzdKDTU96xVhePogSMBxtTy9j_mrhOKFUc9NEMcydDA

I got an Albini vibe from Wiremother by the way. It sounded somewhere between Shellac and Fugazi with added mania. Mania is good.

[quote=“Quinn, post:10, topic:6298, full:true”]
Oh yeah! We actually had a review of our EP that compared us to Botch and we basically shat ourselves with delight. I believe the exact quote used was “their fantastic botch-bothering new EP”. [/quote]

That’s high praise indeed! ‘We Are The Romans’ is a cracking record.

Nice one. Looking forward to it.

Albini and MacKaye are idols so that’s awesome! :smile:

Good stuff @screamingmeat! My favorite was Let Our Enemies Beware. Sounds raunchy.

Hey guys. I’ve been working on a new tune this evening. This one will be a pretty sinister beat to go along with murder. Heavily inspired by Jesper Kyd’s Contracts.

Should be up tomorrow if I can get it in a finished state.

edit: meh! I can’t seem to make it work this evening. I’ll sit on it a few days I guess.

Both those things are on my to-do list, actually. I’ll probably rerecord the acoustic both mic’d and direct, then try to get creative with the EQing and really give it life. I’ve come to like the programmed vibe of the drums, but I have decided to change it up in some parts.

Good stuff all around, gents. I haven’t listened to everything in the thread yet, but I like what I’ve heard.

For what it’s worth, the music I use in these short HITMAN videos is original. They’re mostly unfinished songs I mixed short versions of in Audition right before throwing them into the videos.

I’m working on more guitar-based stuff today.

Been working on something for a week-ish now, but repeating it over and over is doing my head in and it’s becoming a blur.

I need to start on something new to take my head away from the melody.

That’s always what I do when something isn’t working. Stick it on the back burner for a bit and return with fresh ears.

That’s what usually kills it for me. I think I’m sitting on a masterpiece but as soon as I get back to it the next day, it has all magically turned to shit. Every single time.

I’m more of a one-sitting-session kinda guy. “Set it and forget it.”

I’m uploading what I have to soundcloud now. It’s not exactly what I had in mind but things tend to change when creativity flows. Excuse the bad mixing. I’m far from a pro. Wish I could capture that Kyd feel but I can’t seem to get it. Back to the lab I guess! :sob:

Imagine this playing in the background of a mission like Meatking’s Party or Deadly Cargo though.

Love the distorted drums. The ‘twinkly’ melody is really nice too. Proper ear worm :wink:

The distorted drums was probably the most difficult thing for me haha. Wish the transition was better. Maybe they’re a bit too loud