The Suspects Thread

As someone else said, the ‘target music’ plays when you’re near the real suspect, killing any and all tension. As soon as I realized this, there was no need for trying to identify them organically anymore. This must be an oversight and has to be fixed. Even if many people already find this game mode difficult enough as it is.

3 Likes

Doesn’t happen in H3 maps (Dubai-Mendoza), so play those if you still want the tension. Or play with music off, that should fix it for all maps.

2 Likes

I don’t want to play with the music off or opt for certain maps each showdown. This should be a relatively easy fix for IOI to make, surely.

1 Like

(deleted, for some reason an edit caused a double post… technology right?)

Fair enough, just suggesting a solution to your problem that can work right away and is also easy for you to make.

Can’t guarantee that it will be an easy fix for IOI, as it depends on how the relevant code is structured. Disabling that audio cue might mean disabling it globally. It might not be simple to do it specifically for Freelancer when they originally built the game with no idea they’d ever need to do that. We can’t know for sure.

There are also people who actually enjoy having this option because once the feeling of tension wears off, the showdowns start to feel a bit monotonous and annoying. Many people had criticisms of how annoying it could get to follow a suspect for 5 minutes waiting for them to give their tells before this was discovered.

IOI may just also decide it’s not worth patching for those reasons and potentially others, so I thought the idea of those fixes could be appreciated in that case.

Would be awesome if an audio setting could be added to toggle those on a global level, which would please both camps, but along with the option to set the volume of Diana, I doubt that will happen.

The idea is definitely appreciated. I didn’t want to come across as ungrateful. It’s just that I think it’s the developer’s job to ensure these things are ironed out, not the player’s job to find various workarounds.

1 Like

Meanwhile I’ve never been able to identify that “target music” everyone’s been talking about despite hanging around leaders for ages :x

6 Likes

That’s what I’m thinking all the time XD

Every time I read a post about this I think "lets play a campaign level just to get the “ohhhh THAT music!” idea

1 Like

It’s pretty obvious once you notice it. It’s this sort of tense little string section that plays over the regular soundtrack that fades in when you’re nearing the target and quickly fades out again when you move away from them.

2 Likes

Annnnnnnnnnddddd… It’s gone. :rofl:

It’s still present in non-showdown levels. But yeah… removed by ioi.

5 Likes

I don’t mind the jingle thing being removed because I didn’t notice it anyway - I have the music basically turned to 0 because I like to listen to podcasts while playing hitman - and it’s difficult to focus when the music is blasting in my ear.

2 Likes

One the one hand I never understood how people would play their games while listening to other things…

…but now we have so much live-service grinding that I myself have some “podcast-games” I play soullessly while listening to other stuff, so I get you.

1 Like

Look if I’m doing a entire Discography marathon on Spotify i will not hesitate to play games with no audio, I usually have such and understanding on where noises/what noises can be heard in games so audio is for sissys

1 Like

This breaks my heart.

I mean, depends on what you’re playing, if it is just something like Tetris oder Minecraft, perfectly fine. But I hope that you enjoy big titles that have their own sondtrack and professional mixing + good voice actors on their own without listening to music?

You do you, but it would be wasteful to play let’s say a Witcher, Resident Evil or Dishonored game while listening to something else during gameplay. Would be like going to the cinema but listening to spotify during the movie :confused:

3 Likes

Oh no, i mean after I’ve played a game for a long sss time eg Hitman or something.

Some games require you to listen to the banging soundtrack because they sound that good!

2 Likes

Okay. We can be friends again. Hi Charlie :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve never cared for music in games.

I think it goes back to being a kid and always being told to have my gameboy on silent because the Pokémon music would annoy my parents.

So I just got used to playing games without music - it’s just not an enjoyable part of the experience to me, it’s just annoying.

The first thing I do when I get a new game is turn the music down to level 2, be it resident evil, minecraft, Hitman.

Music just doesn’t affect me in anyway.

1 Like