A case for immersion and story in Hitman

I’d actually love to see a collaboration of Hideo Kojima and the Hitman crew, the smaller sandbox maps, more interactivity. Interesting sneaking instead of crouch running and the ability to interrogate targets.
We can have a bald agent 47 with an eyepatch and smoking cigars :wink:

4 Likes

Ha, that’d be pretty cool.

One thing I find myself doing when playing Hitman right after MGS V TPP, is avoiding chairs and anything that makes noise. NPCs in Hitman are have zero situational awareness whereas MGS guards are like ?!!?!?!?! A CHAIR MOVED! investigates

Random I know.

6 Likes

Only if the IOI writers hogtie him and stuff him in a closet when it comes to writing Diana. That guy’s fucking weird about female characters.

What I’d love is seeing a collaboration between BioWare and IOI. Give me a 47 who assassinates people with dual blades and caltrops, and a Grey who gets his revenge by shooting fireballs out of his hands. Leliana and Diana plotting together? Sign me the fuck up.

I know Bull would be down for it:

3 Likes

It’s interesting to note how a lot of Hitman’s “real” story happens within the level.

@BaldAndBarcoded’s cinematic videos have really cleared up for me just how connected so many different NPC conversations are, plus a ton that can easily, easily, go completely unnoticed by the average player. I’ve heard many of the conversations in Paris, but it somehow never clicked in my head just how many are deeply connected to the main targets (and how the targets deal with these NPCs and issues throughout their day)

It’s not surprising that a lot of this in-game story goes overlooked, since I’m sure someone who buys a Hitman game would rather infiltrate hostile areas and murder other people rather than eavesdrop on the local gossip.

4 Likes

Kojima can write good female characters actually.
xVRZhd
But, yeah, Quiet… :unamused:

I love your analysis on the previous game btw, and how you manage to make the whole thing coherent. IO should hire you in the writing team :smirk:

I don’t think so. My boyfriend is not even a Hitman fan, he just watched me play the WOA trilogy without playing himself and had no problem to understand the plot. And honestly, I don’t think the story is that complicated. Maybe it’s a bit difficult to get into it at the beginning, the first cutscenes are a bit confusing because we don’t know who Grey and Providence are yet, but after Bangkok’s cutscene and the Shadow Client reveal, the story is pretty clear to me.

8 Likes

Like a Boss. :smiley:

1 Like

Skips cutscene

7 Likes

Shame the Boss is the only well written female character…

I supose Olga, Naomi, Strangelove and Sniper Wolf were pretty good but strange they all seem to be the ones to die🤔

The rest were all pretty badly written, Meryl, Quiet and Emma in particular.

Yeah… Dont let Kojima near female written chracters unless he is under supervision.

1 Like

Yes, I agree. If you play the trilogy in full it’s not really hard to follow at all.

It’s just funny how the critique that streamers and reviewers threw at the story always seemed to correlate exactly with how little effort they put into actually understanding the thing.

“I don’t understand this story + maybe I’m even slightly intimidated by it = story bad”.

Was expecting you. You did not disappoint.

3 Likes

Yeah, exactly. When you see a streamer who have played the 2 previous WOA games, starting H3 and say : “Who is this guy, I think we have already seen him before ?” when he see Grey, it’s not a lack of comprehension, it’s just a lack of interest.

They are prefectly capable to understand the story if they pay a little attention in it, they just don’t want to understand :neutral_face: Because they have a previous prejudice that “Hitman story sucks and you don’t play this game for his story” before even starting to play.

That’s as you said in your first post, they just don’t want to give the story a chance. And that’s make me fucking sad, yeah :pensive: That basically why I don’t I really watch hitman related videos or streams anymore :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

It’s more than just the story too. I enjoy the OutsideXbox content and have watched most of it. I regularly see them commenting on something that I know they’ve already seen or commented on like it’s the first time they’ve ever seen it. This is really evident in Hitman videos. Every time (and there have been at least three) they have used the fortune teller disguise in Marrakesh, Mike comments on how he likes that 47 puts the crystal ball back. Every time they disable the camera they comment on how it’s great that you can type something that causes the computer to spark and smoke. Every video is like the first time they’ve ever played the game. I still like it, but it’s slightly annoying. I can only assume other videos do the same thing.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t hold it against reviewers (or maybe a little in their case) and non-Hitman-centric Youtubers/Streamers. They often play a lot of different games and don’t spend that much time on one game. Unless it really stands out or they are big fans of a franchise, I wouldn’t expect them to remember much of the story or many gameplay details of any game.

2 Likes

I can’t remember the Insurance Act off the top of my head but I still make sure to brush up on it if I’m going to be writing about it :confused:

2 Likes

Part of it might be on purpose to create the ‘sense of wonder’ a new player would have. ‘ah wow you can have a rifle, woooooo’. Like playing the map 20 times before they record a playthrough and pretend everything is new. But yes that’s only in regards to gameplay details and not a backstory for the previous games.

Like I said in the first post, I do understand it from that side of things - also given the episodic model and the story unfolding over multiple years.

My point is that it’s annoying when they give their hot take on a story they made no effort to understand. It’s ok to not get the story, but all I’m asking is for the thoroughly uninformed to please shut the fuck up on that specific matter.

2 Likes

Haha i had to.

1 Like

You’ll let a cutscene play out if it gets your targets into a faster starting position before before time starts… or so you say, we know you’re really just drinking in that sweet, sweet lore, kappa…

1 Like

So after five days of voting, I’m pretty happy to see how many Hitman fans on here think that story and immersion is important to the game.

51% in the camp of it being very important to Hitman, and another 48% thinking they matter even if gameplay is king. Only 1% don’t care at all (frote…for the, I mean, sake of curiosity, I wonder who might that be).

It makes me happy to see that the ‘who the hell cares about story in a Hitman game’-people on HMF are just a loud vocal minority.

1 Like

I didn’t vote. Guess my ‘skip cutscene’ post really got to you though. Ah well

1 Like

I have thicker skin than that though, just thought it was funny.