Absolution is uncomfortable and weird but not in a good way

No you see I disagree with that as well. (No surprise, I am the Anti-Absolution Guy). The bloom is bad here and this was the birth of the bloom. There is this repulsive grain on the lens in a poor attempt to remind you that this game is supposed to be based on grindhouse films (not even Tarantino does this to get a grindhouse feel). The colour pallet is neutrals and earth tones for most of the game so everything is same and kind of ugly but not in a good way like GTAIV and mst games of the time period. 47 looks like someone pounded modelling clay into a vaguely 47 like shape then called it a day.

6 Likes

tumblr_inline_p1brmcd9Dk1rr08jv_500

Dont tell me you hadn’t a little “Wow” Moment when you opened the door to the China Town Street Market when you played it the very first time.

EDIT: I agree on the Bloom tho, and sadly IO hasn’t realized how shitty this exaggerated Bloom is to this day

1 Like

that’s fair enough. i like the grainy filter, the bloom (ive never quite got the bloom hate in general), and the way 47 looks like a psychopath caught midway through transforming into a bird of prey.

what i hate about its aesthetic is that it is so intensive that consoles couldn’t run it and have decently sized, in-depth levels at the same time. they chose the former over the latter and lost the soul of the series in the process (imo).

I went “Wow that was a bright light” then I played the game and wondered if it looked anything like that and spoilers it doesn’t look like that.

1 Like

I think it just kind of dates the games especially when it is so overdone in other media.

Like an someone pause an Animorph mid-morph.

1 Like

i was an adult when that came out, so i missed that boat. i’ll take your word for it though. :smile:

I never read them but you would see old copies in the library all the time. I was a bigger fan of Alex Rider I must have read all of those books (to that date) until I went to high school.

1 Like

2 Likes

What if James Bond was a teenager in a novel series for young teens. If you are so old you have forgotten who James Bond is just let me know.

1 Like

so alex rider is an imperialist murder tool and a rapist?

He isn’t a rapist but he did once foil a plot that would have seen the Elgin Marbles returned to Greece but to be fair a shadow government and international criminal cabal was using that plot to destabilise the Middle East and to overthrow the British government.

In fact the book actually has a surprisingly realistic (for a kid’s book) depiction of what happens when you turn a teenager into a spy. So that is to say it isn’t very pretty and he has severe issues. Kinda like that anime Evangelion, I have heard people compare it to that back in the day.

He almost gets killed by “Elton John” in one book over a video game in one of the books. This isn’t relevant at all to the discussion but when I say it out of context like this it is just hilarious.

we can do that ourselves, thank you very much.

:joy:

aaaaanyway, absolution, eh? what a train wreck of ideas THAT turned out to be.

I just realised that being Sanchez has to be more agonising that depicted, right? Like he has gigantism which exceeds even Andre the Giant by size and Andre was in pain for a lot of his life because of the disorder.

You can’t even ship statues to Greece or fish near France, how are you guys going take over the Middle East?

1 Like

I’m assuming the serum that was given to him helps him cope with the pain, if not neutralizing it altogether. Either that, or his violent tendencies have a physiological explanation.

That would have to severely violate several natural laws right? He was given it once and he grew to that size and I am pretty sure his size was accidental side effects if I recall.

I mean he doesn’t seem all that violent, he just happens to be a bodyguard and underground cage fighter. Those are pretty much the only two options a man like him would have.

:unamused:

I’d like to introduce you to 47, a man made from recombinant DNA from 5 other men and who has an extra chromosome without down syndrome or any other negative genetic defect. That fine fellow next to him is Mark Faba, and the stories he could tell you…

All the same, it was intended as a “super soldier serum,” so I’d imagine that a decrease in pain reception would be something someone like Dr. Ashford would want to include in such a specimen. Just a theory, but it could explain it.

I believe that the new games actually say that 47 was made from stem cell based cloning techniques using The Fathers as a template base with all of the chromosome stuff having been done away with since it is more plausible and more accurate if anachronistic.

Faba is a gag character that may or may not even be canon.

I guess but it is weird that this super serious story has to have a super soldier serum in it and that Ashford gave up after a marginal failure the first time. Like it technically worked and it isn’t like you can’t tinker with it or put a subject under palliative hormone control.

you said “destabilise” which we have form on, plus our government is in the midst of overthrowing itself. only prime minister oroboris johnson could achieve such lofty and recursive goals.

i haven’t put too much thought into the lore behind him. he’s an instance of an ableist use of a physical ailment as shorthand for ‘baddie’. to be fair, there are 1 or 2 exceptions to that, though it is complicated by the fact that the ‘goodies’ who are don’t seem at all hindered.

The only organism capable of sucking itself off.

True but is Sanchez really a “baddie”? The only bad thing he seems to do is hand Vicky over to Skurky and I don’t know if that was his idea or if he was doing it for Dexter.

I would say that killing in underground cage matches is “bad” but this is after we see 47 make a mentally handicapped and physically disabled person dig his own grave and possibly leave him for dead in a desert. Plus it seems like it is mutually agreed upon for both parties since the Patriot still wins if you fix it so that you shoot Sanchez as he punches (somehow this works and nobody notices an entry wound).

1 Like