Bangkok is wasted potential

This is something I would actually love as a final adjustment to the WoA trilogy before they stop supporting it - a Definitive Edition where maps like this one would receive such tweaks to bring back the stuff that was supposed to be there but got cut due to time constraints. Heck, Bangkok is really the only map that needs this kind of tweaking (well, that one and Marrakesh with the consulate courtyards and Strandberg´s apartment). I know it´s not gonna happen, but man, would it be a lovely send-off…

4 Likes

There’s so much cut content from Marrakesh that I’d like to see actually there, and the original Hokkaido hospital with a second floor, though modding is our only friend as of now to make our wildest wishes come true :pensive:

2 Likes

I (too) think the Himmappan could use some major overhauls or revamps in its design. More balconies, symmetry and logic. As well as guest amenities/facilities. There aren’t even any laundry chutes. Villa Caruso had those, even the Terminus Hotel. Linen carts are stored in the hallway - if they’re even there. Lugging them up steps is in no way practical. Maid carts? They’re usually stocked with linens and cleaning supplies. But there aren’t any Maid Cart storage closets.

I will need to go back and scrutinize this closer - where the housekeeping related items are.

Can you tell I work in the hotel industry? :face_with_monocle:

I’ve heard/read that the Himmappan is based on an actual hotel in Bangkok. And I guess that doesn’t have elevators either.

I think a good portion of things that seem to be missing could go on the side of the hotel opposite of the river on the other side (not the front). An outdoor pool? I dunno. With it being in practically a jungle, or just very humid… It could be housed. I don’t see people using it to also get some sun when they could just use the beach.

Speaking of the beach - there totally should’ve been a stairway leading to it.

The area adjacent to Jackie Carrington’s room could’ve been a workout area/gym. Symmetrically with the other side of the hotel, and just make the hut outside the security HQ.

The room where they’re having the birthday party… Maybe another bar like the opposite side.

Or bar, gym,- gym bar… Whatever order as long as it’s symmetrical/mirrored with the other side.

Elevators. I think (if they could be put in the game) they cold be in the corners in the front of the main lobby. Or not have the stairs be so wide and have the elevator shafts in the middle of those.

It’s alright how it is, but could be improved a lot.

Edit: I’ve only discussed the hotel design itself. I’m not too concerned with the target routes and routines.

3 Likes

ive never really liked this idea because I feel it interferes too much with the preservation aspect of the trilogy. keeping the original vision of the levels (for the most part, stuff like colorado getting its exits is an objective upgrade) is IOI’s priority and i agree with it

1 Like

Yeah if you look at the Bangkok style guide you’ll see the inspiration on top left, it’s supposed to resemble the “Praya Palazzo” but also kinda traditional style mixed with modern since they reused Paris assets

About cut areas, these are the most “important” ones:

The spa area on the left of the hotel:

The docks on the right of the hotel

Concept Art

The small lounge on the atrium’s roof

Other areas more difficult to illustrate since there’s pretty much only cubes inside them:

The ventilation system had its own room in the basement (next to the corridor where a staff woman and a guard talk)
A small room for “luggage lockup” next to the staff room
Two big rooms in the basement for food storage (also next to where a staff woman and a guard talk)
The Manager’s bedroom next to her office, alongside two other big storage rooms and those are the rooms blocked off by the exterminator

5 Likes

Wow! :astonished:

It looks like they would’ve had more rooms with balconies… But went with where it was only needed for climbing up and down. I always thought that was weird. Well, it still is from a consistency standpoint.

It’s kinda sad… Like it seems they didn’t have enough time to add these scrapped areas to the game.

Due to deadlines it’s obviously one and done. But I personally would have no problem with them completing or fleshing out further what they had in mind and having an update. But at this point, that’s never going to happen.

1 Like

Yeah it’s highly unlikely lol, although Dafitius has a project of porting Alpha maps to Hitman 3, he’s already done the Hokkaido map in the past and the rest is yet to get uploaded to the mod page, though with more advanced level editing tools and a lot of community efforts it could be possible to do it ourselves, not too difficult for Hokkaido though definitely more work for Bangkok and absurdly huge for Colorado

5 Likes

All the balconies and the spa :disappointed: We missed out on so much

It is unlikely to happen :cry: but I always hoped that after the game was completed, they would make adjustments to the previous levels. They did before with a small section like the Marina Memorial in Miami. I would be so happy if they added a spa in the Emperor and Queen suite. A pool would be amazing :smiling_face_with_tear: I wouldn’t mind if they reused assets from the Maldives level. It would improve Bangkok so much

5 Likes

Are there any pics/vids of the ‘missing’ bits in Colorado/Hokkaido floating around teh internetz? This is all completely new info to me!

2 Likes

Here’s a video (more in the playlist):

Colorado is completely different from what finally shipped.

4 Likes

Thanks dude, this is an eye opener! Oh what could have been!

2 Likes

You could argue though that adding the spa (and potentially docks) area in Bangkok is in fact keeping the original vision of the level, more so than the final product… :no_mouth:

I mean look, I´m all for preservation when it comes to games, but I feel like Bangkok is the one map that really would benefit from this sort of tweak. I said it before in an old thread on this topic, but the map just feels way too claustrophobic and the fact that guests on one entire side of such a hotel would stare right into the jungle (and such hotel even having a jungle in its compound) makes absolutely no sense. It just screams cut content. Other levels may have had their cuts, but at least they´re not so glaring (or you don´t notice them unless you actually know about them).

I guess if the modders could pull some magic and do these sorts of changes themselves in the future, then that would satisfy both camps.

4 Likes

Colorado’s original design (or Colorado 1 because the current farm variant is literally called Colorado 2)
is really neat, but it’s completely placeholder :disappointed: no actual model in that map at all, and IO probably barely updated it after the Alpha before scrapping it entirely… worst part of all is that we got like two small concept arts of the outside and the other of a random room interior, not much for us to chew on

2 Likes

I always thought Bangkok was like Paris but without the freedom. It makes you feel trapped in a box.

When I first played Bangkok, I loved it but over time, its flaws became more and more apparent. I play it every once in a while but the Maldives is a far better tropical resort level

I remember when Bangkok first got released, I was watching players’ first impression and they were so confused that there was no stairway leading to the beach. Making the beach accessible would help the level so much

It is really weird that one side of the hotel is facing a jungle. That always felt rushed to me

Also, the hotel is filled with exotic plants but they don’t even have a proper garden area. They could also add foliage to sneak/hide bodies. They did it to Sapienza and Colorado

I wish they would add

• Fitness center
  • Spa/pool area
  • Dock
  • Add more balconies
  • More actual suites. Only one floor is available for guests. Maybe add one or two more floors
  • I always thought it was weird that an über expensive hotel doesn’t have a closet in every room

I also think the background in the alpha version is way better than the one we got in game

6 Likes

Bangkok would not only benefit from a redesign but mainly of an update on items, like every S1 maps actually, so many new items were added in Season 2 and Season 3 that would fit so well with legacy maps, but all they did was add briefcases :nerd_face:

That’s kind of a stretch, the Alpha decor is kind of the same, except everything is 2D and not modelled

4 Likes

Sure, in the same way George Lucas’s special editions are the original vision he wanted Star Wars to be. It just seems like a waste of resources however that could be spent on making:
-a new side mission like an escalation
-a new map
-a new mode
-or a new game
So its not feasible tbh. Tho i do find it funny that the episodic model is talked up so much by people who were there for it but it also gives us levels that people ask to get remade all the time because theyre so shitty and rushed

2 Likes

Here is a concept art for it :

6 Likes

Bangkok is hands down one of my favourite maps of the WoA trilogy.

However i still agree with you guys when you say that it somehow feels rushed and empty in some places because of the limited opportunities we have, regarding level paths and gameplay-wise.

Anyway that map will still have a special place in my heart as it remains a beautiful exotic hotel with interesting targets :+1:

5 Likes

There is just one thing I dislike in Bangkok : the cameras and the security hub. And I don’t actually dislike them, I appreciate what they wanted to do with them. And overall Bangkok is the one location in the trilogy that feels like a “like before but trickier, harder”

But now, they are just tedious to do over and over again.

The locations is also five bars on top of each other, which is not interesting. The Patient Zero version, were you have what in essence is a conference is fun to play in. As in, outside the mission.

Also fun fact about the security in Bangkok : there once was a “delete evidence” storage in the small security hub on the ground floor, at the back of the hotel.

It existed because once each security hub had control, and deleted, only their area of cameras. Notably in Sapienza, the church cameras, the lawyer/ice cream shop cameras, the villa cameras, and the lab cameras were all separate entity. So no easy “I deleted the cameras in the church, I am free to roam the villa and the lab”.

So when IOI decided to simplify this mechanic (there was no way to know which nod you had to delete), they also deleted the nod in the ground floor of the hotel. This way they could preserve the challenge of the camera security in Bangkok.

5 Likes

This they should’ve brought back for Hitman 3, at least for Master mode, it just makes more sense and makes the game not as easy as it is right now :pensive:

3 Likes