Colombian missions

No wonder they were not remade in Contracts they are boring long and so tedious.

But that’s the whole idea of remaking something. It doesn’t matter if it sucked, was long and was boring, if they wanted to, they could have made those levels better but they didn’t. :man_shrugging:

A good example is the Xen chapters in Half-Life, which Gabe Newell himself said they were unpolished / rushed because they were out of time. The devs behind the Black Mesa remake made sure to give those chapters a proper remake :wink:

3 Likes

No they are not.

2 Likes

No need to remade all 3 missions, they could be just merged to 1 single mission similar like Roterdam.

2 Likes

To be fair the first 2 missions are largely pointless; even if they rolled them into a single mission, I don’t see how even freeing the native would even tie into it without it feeling like tedious filler in a level

1 Like

Freeing his brother would reveal a secret entrance to the compound that is not guarded so you can infiltrate without the need of a disguise and reveal even a good sniper position :smiley:
As for the Jungle God, yep, totally pointless unless they can use the Jaguar for something in the level. Maybe take the sniper position and have it guarded by the jaguar so you need something to lure it away or kill it.

Ideas exist for a good remake of those levels :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I don’t know anything about the half life remakes but I agree that it could be redone and be good. It would likely take some effort though. Maybe running the whole mission together and adding a target ?

So like maybe you gotta find the tribe, then they want the the idol back which means stealing it from the den of the giant jaguar, AND they want some guy taken care of who… I don’t know runs a mining colony nearby and is shitty to his workers and there’s lots of guards around? That’s the agent of good version. Maybe it’s just a competing tribes leader bc they are fighting over hunting lands? I don’t know. Something like that. Then they will show you how to get where you need to go or give you intel about the compound ?

3 Likes

Yep. It was a fan project, 15 years in the works. The Xen chapters took them 5 years to develop since it was the hardest part. It started as a free mod but Valve gave them the all clear to sell it as a commercial game. :smiley:

1 Like

Why would someone say something so controversial yet so brave?

1 Like

By “it” I meant the c47 jungle remake.

But that’s pretty cool that the project happened that way.

2 Likes

Ok

1 Like

The Jaguar part is really pointless, but the rest could be improoved.

1 Like

i have to agree with you on the first 2 missions,but the third? woah woah woah, sure the level design is funky, but its a cult classic!

You tallking abou “Say helo to my litle friend”, right? Was a great mision, really not understanding why it was not remade in contracts.

The rainforest levels were going to have a moving truck in them, but it was cut and/or never completed. There is concept art, sound files, texture files(?) and a route for it. In the maps there is also the dirt path itself the truck would drive on, and the road barriers in “Say Hello To My Little Friend” that can be interacted with.

A truck route was left behind in the final level file, it starts on the other side of the bridge from which you rescue the tribe chieftain’s brother in the first mission and continues on the dirt path from there. It goes through the very first road barrier at the camp entrance, and takes the next immediate turn, stopping between a watch tower and one of the barracks. The dirt path goes on, however, with more turns ahead and eventually it leads to the drug lab, which also has a road barrier that you can interact with, but there is no truck route beyond the very first stop.

The first Rotterdam level “Gunrunner’s Paradise” has a vehicle-guiding puzzle where you have to divert the train into locked gates, destroying them, maybe these Colombia levels had a similar thing with the road barrier?

The truck’s destination, by the camp entrance:

Road barrier:

The level has two road barriers, one in front of the camp entrance, the other in front of the lab entrance. The one road goes to both, but with multiple turns and stops along the way. The truck route that was left behind ends after taking the first turn.

Concept art

Audio (and texture files?)

There are tools for this game that may be able to extract these, but I didn’t do that.

Truck route in the level’s file

It starts on the other side of the bridge that the chieftain’s brother was held hostage at in the first Colombian mission. and goes along the dirt path immediately connected to it, passing one road barrier and taking a turn in front of some barracks. “LimoPath_01” might be for the truck too, or something else.

5 Likes

Guess that after they cut it from C47, they decide to try this idea once more in Silent Assassin. Good idea but poorly implemented.
Since you say that the truck started from the bridge where you save the chieftain son, was Find the U’wa Tribe and Say Hello to My Little Friend connected? Because I wouldn’t have minded since there’s nothing redeemable about The Jungle God and it deserved the cutting room.
Also I wonder how barriers worked in SHtMLF since in the final game, they only go up a few inches when activated, barely above 47’s head :thinking:

Btw nice to hear from ya, @Ingvar, you were mia for some time now :grin:

1 Like

I don’t know what was going on with “The Jungle God”, screenshots of all three maps/levels with 47’s early head model exist, most screenshots of “C4-2” (The Jungle God) are in a jungle area, but one or two show the bridge and Mayan ruins also. This truck was likely cut earlier in development. I think there is also a scrapped event where 47 drowns in a river? I see this paired alongside stuff for the Jaguar death cutscene but it’s not used. I wonder if guards could detect 47 hiding in the truck and throw him out, or something like that.

The three games after C47 implemented a bunch of the ideas they had but didn’t get to do in C47, old interviews even suggest a notoriety system, but some of this might just be ideas that only got talked about and not really produced. Devs of C47 wanted to do a ton of things and got to work on some of it, but so many things never got to the final game. In SA, Contracts and BM they got a new opportunity.

I don’t know what level it’s for but there is/was also a scuba gear animation for 47, well, there is a file path for it, I don’t know about the actual animation.

4 Likes

These missions with the vastness of the jungle I would have liked to have seen remade for Contracts the colours and atmos would have popped.

1 Like