Deathloop (September 14, 2021)

I was a bit skeptical about the option of playing as Julianna and entering another player’s game, but Arkane is adding some mechanics to make it about more than griefing and trolling. The invading player can even kinda help Colt and kill NPCs:

https://www.thegamer.com/deathloop-co-op-multiplayer-invasion/

“We have some kinds of feats that we reward and sometimes it’s things like ‘stay alive for ten minutes,” game director Dinga Bakaba explains. “Sometimes it will be ‘damage Colt’ - actually damaging Colt is more incentivised than killing him. So sometimes we just want to harass and not kill them, wait until they heal. We just try to put a few things like that in place.”

When playing as Julianna, you can still interact with most of the world. This extends to the enemy NPCs Colt fights against. While they are friendly to Julianna initially, they will retaliate if a Julianna player keeps killing them.

“NPCs will react the first time like maybe it’s an accident,” Bakaba explains. “The second time they might go, ‘We are going to fuck you up, Julianna’. She’s part of the Visionaries, but no one wants to get killed for no reason. They are not mindless zombies. So yeah, they will fight back against Julianna if she starts killing them, but sometimes you really, really need that shotgun. You will prefer to kill an NPC.

2 Likes
3 Likes

I don’t know, reminds me too much of Dishonored. Did they really have to use the same animations?! The only thing I’m looking forward related to this game is StealthGamerBR’s videos, those are always awesome to watch :grin:

3 Likes

3 thoughts constantly cross my mind when watching his Dishonored videos:

1. Damn, I could never do that
  2. I wonder how long it takes him to practice a run like this
  3. How the fuck does he have all the powers unlocked in the first mission?! :joy:
3 Likes

My memory about the first game is real fuzzy even though I finished it but isn’t there a NG+ with all powers unlocked from the start?

Hmm, don’t think so, but no idea tbh… I only finished it once and though I’ve been aiming to do a high chaos playthrough, I still haven’t gotten around to it. I have it installed though, so I’ll check when I get back home.

1 Like

Somehow with every trailer released I’m getting a bit less excited. All the gameplay segments look the same to me.

1 Like

Just got to pop in and say, no Dishonored 1 did not have a New Game Plus. (Dishonored 2 might have had it, I think, or there was still a lot of fan requests to add it in.)
Point is, BR gets all those powers on the first mission through mods probably.

1 Like

Ah, ok, thought so. It´s suddenly (a bit) less impressive… :sweat_smile:

Edit: Yeah, just found out there´s a new game plus mod on nexusmods which has BR´s videos for demonstration, so he apparently uses that one.

1 Like

i dunno, it isn’t that he has the powers early that’s impressive, it’s what he does with them. his choreography is crazy inventive.

Arkane really has to throw it outta the park with this one, their games under Bethesda didn’t have great sales and I don’t see Redfall doing great either so Deathloop has to be it.

I’ve been playing Prey for the first time the past fortnight and I’m not very impressed by it. For those saying this game will just be a reskin of that… I hope you’re wrong :S
Although by default this should be better because at least the setting is better to look at than a bland space station with black outside every window

I think Death of The Outsider would’ve been their best game if it was an actual game and not overpriced DLC. Different outcomes of certain objectives (lethal vs non-lethal, etc), visually nice setting (atmospheric, including soundtrack) and most of the maps pretty good, they re-used maps in a good way too (something Hitman used to do), balanced shop system, it even added a frickin’ “Contracts” mode. But I find it hard to imagine Deathloop is anything other than run around and kill people on an always-hostile map

I haven’t been delving into every article about the game though, there’s probably a lot I missed

2 Likes

Prey really suffered because of the name. Beth canceled the original Prey 2 and had Arkane use the name for their game which had nothing to do with the original game. If it was named something else and didn’t associate it with the original Prey and the fact that Prey 2 was canceled for Arkane’s version, people were really looking forward to Prey 2, it would have sold better.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was confused about that; because I remember Prey being one of the first games on like 360 or something, but then I never heard about it again

Then this came along and it had nothing to do with it but has the same name but also sort of is related to it? Eh?

1 Like

Civvie explains in detail why Beth canceled Prey 2 which was a dick move on their part

i think prey is excellent. talos one is an incredible bit of design, the writing is pretty strong, and the way all the different systems can interact is really robust and rewards experimentation.

the only thing letting it down is enemy variety. the mimics and nightmare are great, but they dug themselves into a hole with the black-ink style enemies. not much room for innovation there.

I think Deathloop is going to be kind of Outer Wilds: Murder Edition.

2 Likes

Still on PC tho

It’s been hot as balls here, so this slipped past me until now. (There are some minor spoilers for one of the Visionaries in the last couple of minutes.)

These GameSpot people seem pretty hyped. Keep calling it smart, say that it encourages you to try different strategies and learn how the systems work, even compared it to how you would approach a Hitman level.

I need to get my hands on a PS5. :frowning:

3 Likes

Trailer from today’s PlayStation Showcase.

https://youtu.be/6uERbqyh-Tc

2 Likes

Reviews are looking good, hope it helps with sales for Arkane!

7 Likes