Deathloop (September 14, 2021)

For a SP game, those numbers are okay but for something that got so many scores of 10, it’s unimpressive.

That stuttering issue on PC is what made people stop playing it I guess.

1 Like

Well, I decided I couldn’t pass up the sale, my back catalog be damned. :grin:

I’ve gotten through the first couple of hand-holding loops (though I did take a cue from my Hitman experience and turn off the persistent goal marker thing so I’d have to find where I’m meant to go myself). It’s still early (I haven’t gotten a permanent power yet), but I love it. The world building and the levels (at least what I’ve seen of them) are of the quality you would expect from Arkane and Colt and Julianna (and their interplay) are awesome.

And I think I discovered that you don’t need PlayStation Plus for the multiplayer, since I was about two seconds away from invading someone before I remembered that I don’t really know my way around yet. :laughing:

I don’t normally do multiplayer (ever), but I think I might let people invade me sooner rather than later, given my first two encounters with Robo-Julianna. She seemed pretty…dumb. :grimacing:

But I’m enjoying the exploration. And while the AI might not be the most brilliant, I’ve come to enjoy games where you can kind of quickly move from stealth to firefights and back again, so I’ve had fun with the combat so far. And what could be better than kicking people off cliffs? :grin:

2 Likes

Well, it turns out you do need PS Plus for the multiplayer. :frowning: But for some reason, they let you do her little intro and walk around as Julianna in her apartment, which is weird, because most games would send you to the “Buy PS Plus” page as soon as you click on “Protect the Loop”. :man_shrugging:

Eh, maybe they’ll have one of those free weekends sometime. Or maybe I’ll stop being a cheap bastard and shell out the $10 for a month. :grin:

At least Robo-Julianna, while still fairly dumb, can be a decent challenge (at least for me) when she has the right combination of powers and weapons. I think she’s still only killed me outright once, though.

The answer is: Yeeting people off cliffs with Karnesis. :grin:

3 Likes

Question: are the kicks really this powerful? :laughing:

3 Likes

Pfff, looks very weak compared to the kick from Dark Messiah. Never underestimate the power of the Source engine :grin:

3 Likes

It’s nice to see Deathloop getting some (well-deserved) Game Awards love, with the most nominations of any game, including Game of the Year, Best Action and Best Performer for both Jason E. Kelley (Colt) and Ozioma Akagha (Julianna).

https://twitter.com/deathloop/status/1460664313325182981

I broke the loop a couple of days ago, but there is so much packed into Blackreef, so many things to experiment with, that I’m nowhere near done with the game, even if it isn’t my sole focus anymore.

I’m not quite sure I like it as much as Prey/Mooncrash (I’m a sucker for aliens on space stations :grin:) …but it’s fairly close.

2 Likes

Out for slightly over 2 months, and it is now at a 50% discount during the Autumn Sale :no_mouth:

4 Likes

Question is, is that even worth it yet?

Also, you’re Australian?

2 Likes

If the optimisation is as good as Dishonored 2, then the answer for me is definitely not (yet) :joy:

Nope. What made you think so?

Screenshot showing Australian Dollars?

1 Like

Haha, figures. It seems the Steam link displays differently based on your account/IP. For me it´s a funky blend of Czech text and Japanese currency :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Ohhh I didn’t even realise it wasn’t a picture :sweat_smile:

I feel silly now

Anyway I’ll still hold off purchase for now until I here better things from patches etc

2 Likes

Just found out about this game last night. Sucks about the issues.

Weird how a company like Arkane could make a near perfect (perfect to me ) game like PREY and mess up a lot on this one.

It’ll get fixed.

1 Like

Along with the Xbox release, the Goldenloop update comes out today. There’s a new weapon, the new Fugue ability (confusing enemies and causing them to attack their allies is one of my favorite powers in any game :grin:), new upgrades and a new enemy. Plus, they’re teasing new secrets and an extended ending. (I’m keeping my expectations low, but one never knows…)

https://bethesda.net/en/article/E1GQNUk9ARha3zDoIkuTM/deathloops-free-goldenloop-update-new-ability-weapon-crossplay-and-much-more

I’ve had a replay in the back of my mind for a few months. (Never did get to play around with Photo Mode.) Maybe I’ll try a playthrough without keeping weapons and/or trinkets between loops. :thinking:

1 Like

Okay, the range on the camera in photo mode is, no exaggeration, about 100 times better than any other game’s photo mode. That tiny red circle is where Colt is standing. :exploding_head:

I would loved to have that much freedom in other games. There were so many times I was trying to get a shot in Returnal and bumped into the limits of the camera.

4 Likes

I’m typically not much of a lore guy, so my response to something like this is, “Hey, neat” :slightly_smiling_face: and then moving on with my day.

Others seem more…invested, so ymmv. :grin:

2 Likes

On PC, Deathloop is included with this month’s Humble Bundle Choice, which is £8.99 a month. So good deal if you want to add the game to your collection. I’ll need to get around to playing this myself now that I own it.

4 Likes

The question I have before even considering spending the money on it is: does it actually run well on PC now?

I played Dishonored (first game) from its developer studio and enjoyed the story and gameplay.

Is Dishonored and Deathloop connected ?

2 Likes

Though I’m not sure if there are many connections shown in-game (never played it) and it could have been said just to get more people, specially Dishonored fans interested in Deathloop :person_shrugging:

3 Likes