Epic Games Exclusivity and how it will affect the release of Hitman 3

you can be calm now. I removed that part from my post to prevent further riots.

Thank you. Apologies for being mad, I’m not mad at you, moreso I’m more mad at the subreddit, I have no ill will against you.

I undersand. Nothing against you too. I blame myself for putting it in my comment. Apologies to you as well.

Those image and stats are very tempting to use, and that’s kinda the point, they lure people in with legitimate looking stats and ideals. At this stage, r/fuckepic is less a circlejerk, and more an echochamber to convert people to the cult of anti-epic sentiments, and disregard anything good Epic have done (last I checked, it’s a subreddit rule).

Ok, I’m done now Urben.

People here are actually respectful to each other and talk without insulting, wow i would never thought that a topic about the EGS would be that calm, the other topic on the old hitman forum was not that calm lol.

The OP on the archives is more angry in part because it was a recent occurance. People mellowed out over time and came to more logical and level-headed reasoning that’s more than “Fuck epic, they bribed IOI” when it’s more nuanced than that on both ends. Throwing vitriol arounds gets people nowhere, and muddies the arguments on both sides, hence why i’m civil about matters like this.

1 Like

Yep. I’m civil about matters like this too. People should listen to arguments on both sides rather than blindingly sticking to their beliefs. The argument goes nowhere if you don’t listen to both sides.

5 Likes

I am “on the side” of Epic with their very weird lawsuit against Apple in part because Epic are right; the mobile space needs opening up, especially on Apple Devices, where it’s more locked down than the Milton-Fitzpatrick Bank. There’s a very good video on Linus Tech Tips that explains it better than I ever could, but the cliffnotes of it is that while Epic very likely have ulterior motives (as do all companies), the way they’re going about the lawsuit is not the straightforward way, in fact it’s one hell of a batmans gambit, so it implies they do at least want the ecosystems to be more open for everyone, even if it is for greedy reasons.

I guess departing from steam is going to be more common in near future for lot of developers. Big developers / productions will launch their own online platform and medium / small scale developers will look for alternatives to steam.
But the problem with Epic is that it hogs cpu/gpu. Just saw a post on reddit where difference in temp was @15 deg with Epic running and closed.

I had planned to get Hitman 3 on the EGS but seeing how I now own a Xbox Series S and rather take my Xbox progress into Hitman 3, I’ll get the game on Xbox.

I do understand why people don’t use EGS though. It is not a great tool to use, and I only get the free games, and not even all of them.

1 Like

I only “use” Epic in the sense that I purchase a game from them. I do nothing else with Epic and don’t really do anything else with Steam. I suppose I allow those two applications to keep those games updated, but beyond that, they’re just store-fronts to me.

In terms of Apple, they have been doing that since 1983/4, it isn’t new at all. It’s why I haven’t owned an Apple product since then.

4 Likes

I don’t care much about needing to get epic. I refuse to believe they are “worse” than steam. I don’t know much of steams history but launchers arn’t your friends.

1 Like

The CPU usage fact is true from what I’ve seen. Task manager always indicates the power level as high or very high and the fans running more than they should be. This is unusual for a launcher running idle in the background.

My solution is to use playnite and set it so that EGS closes automatically after the game closes. Saves a lot of hassle.

Edit - But, the usage of CPU when the game is open bothers me a lot. Hopefully Epic fixes it

1 Like

But when the game is running, +10 deg is catastrophic and affects fps / performance drastically. People like me who barely run games on steam at borderline temps +10 deg means burning GPU and motherboard. Can not risk that.

1 Like

Exactly. That’s why I’m worried about performance on Hitman 3. Epic should fix this issue before Hitman 3 releases, so that we can enjoy the game instead of our performance getting reduced because of a launcher.

1 Like

Did somebody try to set the CPU priority of EGS to minimum? Maybe that has a positive effect.

tried it. did nothing for me. But thankfully, it was confirmed by an EGS dev that they are aware of it and are trying to fix the issue. Hopefully it gets fixed fast, they have been kinda lazy on EGS development for a few months now.

If they could / were willing to figure it out they would have already fixed it. Why would they fix that specifically before / for Hitman 3?

1 Like

It’s times like these I’m glad I chose not to sell by Xbox One. While it’s obviously not my preference, I’d still rather play it there than reward Epic’s obvious cash-grab. I’ll probably buy it on Steam in a year’s time if I feel the urge to do so.

You misunderstood me. I am just saying that they should fix this quickly as this could have impact on performance. I just hope they fix it SOMETIME BEFORE H3. Not saying they should fix it FOR H3.The confirmation by the EGS dev was given 2 days ago that they’re trying to fix it.