Freelancer - General Discussion

Not exactly like you, but I share some of the sentiment.

I played to mastery 100, and really enjoyed it. I have all of the challenges, with the exception of the "grind x number of leader, x number of campaigns, and

In other words, I have 33 campaigns completed. And I then took the deliberate decision to stop, because I know that I will end up grinding them, but I wish to do so as the experience enhance. Patches obviously, but I was mostly thinking of potential new unlocks.

That was the issue I had on my enjoyment of the game during Year Two : the new unlocks were fun, but since I had already played everything, I never went and played with them as part of the normal gameplay. Which to confess, for me demands a goal, a purpose, all of them I already attained.

Just my personal opinion, but I think it would have been better if the “Silent Assassin” was not a prestige object, but rather something like the “Perfect Run” that is awarded as a bonus XP of about 1000 XP when achieved.
I may or may not achieve it.
On top of that, I think the Silent Assassin HUD should be standard equipment.
Instead, I wonder if the prestige object could have “Silent Assassin - Firearms”, “Silent Assassin - Accidents”, and “Silent Assassin - Explosions”.

1 Like

You can cheat, save scum, cheese and repeat until you get it right for all Hitman content: elusive targets, escalations, missions in every map.

Then I played Freelancer. It went really, really well with tons of emergent gameplay requiring puzzle solving and then I had a single epic failure in a terrible split decision and lost everything. I thought wow. I am into this - high risk - high reward aspect.

Really isn’t common in a lot of games. Credit to IOI for having the guts to go the Dark Souls route and be unforgiving.

I want to tackle it when Freelancer is optimized in a patch. Hard mode is apparently very hard. Go figure. I want to savour the soul crushing experience…

2 Likes

“Perfect Run” bonus XP (completing all optional objectives NOT including the Prestige objective) is actually 2500 XP! That’s why it sucks when they conflict with each other (1 target + 2 different kill objectives e.g.) because you get screwed out of that XP boost.

Prestige objective is also required for perfect run. I completed all objectives without even choosing a prestige objective and didn’t get the bonus.

It’s not. I verified that yesterday. You can actually fail it and as long as you complete the 3 optional objectives you will get the “Perfect Run” XP bonus.

Odd. In that case more verification is required than just one test, as we both have tested just once and have come to different conclusions.

Maybe it’s different if you have a prestige selected and don’t complete it versus never selecting a prestige? (Or maybe it’s another one of those Freelancer bugs.)

2 Likes

I tested it WITH a Prestige objected selected and purposely FAILED.

It could also be pretty buggy.

Most times I’ve seen it, it was always after a full sweep of the 3 base and 1 prestige.

Heck, in my first campaign completion, I had completed 2/3 obj. failed the other one, and also completed the prestige, but I still got the Perfect Run bonus at the end…

2 Likes

I’ve got a couple of assault rifles to get, then I’ll have unlocked everything for the weapon wall as well…….unless IOI are planning to add some more weapons :wink::wink::wink:

I’m also focusing on mastery now too. I’m level 88, so I’ve still got a slight bit to go yet! I’ve heard the XP starts to slow down a lot when you get to the 90’s.

It’s very realistic because in previous games, particularly Absolution, people would drop weapons to avoid being caught.

Second Campaign Complete!

Great! I guess once you first beat one, it starts to get a bit easier?
I failed a campaign after my first win – about halfway through – and told myself that if I failed again (and lost all my tools) I would finally try out Hardcore mode… but I guess not quite yet!

I finally used Alt-F4 in freelancer… it was the penultimate mission, I got into a combat situation w/ 4 guards I knew I couldn’t get to safety (+ had no gun!) So I quit and reset it… forgive me… New York Alerted Mission too!

10 Likes

Sorry.
I am using a translation app to create and post English sentences.

I was not talking about “Perfect Run” for 1000XP, I wanted to say that if I made “Silent Assassin” a bonus, about 1000XP would be appropriate.
If you set the points too high, some people will get stuck with it.

I would like to see the “Silent Assassin” removed from the current “Prestige Objects” and implemented as a new element that does not belong to the “Payout Objects” or “Prestige Objects”, but rather as an element that can be obtained when conditions are met, similar to the “Perfect Run” element.

Therefore, “Perfect Run” and “Silent Assassin” are unlikely to conflict with each other.
The problem with my proposal is that there are payout objects that lose silent assassins such as “assault rifle kill - 3 guards”.
I have not yet come up with a solution here.

Sorry for the confusion.
Thank you for your reply.

1 Like

Ah… I read that wrong. My bad. It happens. :rofl:

Ugh. Just failed a mission after trying to get a “collateral kill - firearms” or whatever it’s called on Ambrose Island.
I emetic’d a guy to get him to go to the port-a-potty by the ruins, then knocked another guy out to drag him over there and Striker them both. The guy I was dragging died when I dragged him through a puddle of water two centimeters deep. I tried to lure a guard to the port-a-potty instead. It didn’t go well.

Really, I get characters drowning if they’re in deeper water, but people drowning when you’re dragging them through fucking puddles? Not a fan.

3 Likes

What are the rules for failing a mission but just getting an x and then continuing the campaign? I think I just failed the entire campaign every time, so how does it work?

1 Like

If you fail on a non-alerted mission it will just alert a few levels in the current syndicte but you will be able to continue the campaign (you will still lose half your merces and whatever you were carrying if you were killed though). Failing on an alerted mission or a showdown will end the campaign.

4 Likes

Ah, thank you! But is there a limit to how many non-showdown/non-alerted missions you can fail without losing the campaign?

1 Like

No, there is no limit. You can fail any non-alerted mission and continue. Only alerted maps and showdowns will fail entire campaign.

1 Like

Interesting. Contrary to public opinion, Freelancer is super forgiving, actually. The more you know…

1 Like