Freelancer - Pre-Release Discussion

I think there are technical reasons, why Freelancer will be tested on steam. For example, Steam allows developers to host a closed beta, which gives selected users temporary access to certain game binaries. I don’t think EGS has this kind of capability and I’m not sure if something like this is possible on console.

https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/store/testing

PS: I started typing before Travis’ post was published and it seems to confirm my hunch.

14 Likes

Would the technical test work with the Steam demo

No fucking way Travis… you can’t tease us like this! :open_mouth:

A simple no would suffice! …right?

10 Likes

Definitely not possible on Console, but EGS could add support if they wanted to; GOG has a similar feature that lets you play past game versions.

That said, I’m not against their reasoning; less platforms to deal with means less things going wrong.

While i’m here, was the decision to make freelancer free motivated by the DLC’s not doing well financially and/or reception-wise?

2 Likes

Mood. 20 caaaaahracters

1 Like

Pretty sure there might be?

I’ve heard of closed game invites before, which I’m sure in those cases you’d get sent a code for an exclusive Closed Beta version of the game to redeem on the store.

Unless Steam’s is more trustworthy? Like, prevents people from ever having a one-use code they could give or sell off to someone else?

1 Like

Honestly, it’s not a tease. It’s just the truth. We’re wrapping up Freelancer to wrap up Year 2. Naturally, we then start thinking about Year 3 - and know that you will do too. That’s why it’s TBD. I guess another way to say it would be “let’s focus on Freelancer and give us time to talk about whatever comes after that”

32 Likes

Makes sense. I wasn’t thinking it was any indication of anything… but I guess you don’t want to write off any “Year 3” patches or anything still up in the air before then.

7 Likes

The Free Freelancer is good. And I’m sure HITMAN need more diverse locations. So Year 3 pls

2 Likes

Now I wonder how the post lauch support will be for freelancer (if any). To my understanding there was supposed to be support that would include maps that weren’t available on release but it seems that now they’re including everything planned on day one. Or did i get something wrong?

Also I wonder what would prevent some maps to not be featured on FL. I guess by “thematically” Travis means plot-wise and not gameplay.

2 Likes

Freelancer is free
It doesn’t cost folks like you and me
And if you don’t throw in your buck o’ five
No big deal

7 Likes

Steam can work like that, but it can also work via the entitlements system (I.E; pick and choose who you want). I recall Valve releasing an update a whole back so Beta keys could be “sent” more easily via curators.

1 Like

well fuck me gently, this is one nice surprise to open up the forum too.

11 Likes

2023 is looking like a busy gaming year with huge games dropping.
But the fun starts with Freelancer. :smile:

4 Likes

to be determined if it will happen or when :thinking:

3 Likes

I guess another way to say it would be “let’s focus on Freelancer and give us time to talk about whatever comes after that”

3 Likes

I’m resisting the urge to punch my wall down
This news basically means (official hitman content wise) that i have wasted a year. Lol

2 Likes

Appreciate IOI for sharing a date and more information on Freelancer mode.

But I am thinking what to do in next three months :woozy_face:
Hope there are some interesting contents in the next three roadmaps to keep us busy :+1:

Waiting for 3 Months

tenor

7 Likes

Me waiting all bloddy year.
This day has gone south in about half an hour

1 Like

I’m so excited, my fucking hands are shaking. :joy:

5 Likes