Game News Thread

Reminds me of how you had to re-buy Spore after 5 installs back in the day. No surprise it became the most pirated game ever.
And look at that, John Riccitiello was CEO at EA during that period.

5 Likes

This might make comparable engines that used to be in the shadow of Unity to get much more popular, like Godot. Not sure Unity wants that. :upside_down_face:

Q: Are these fees going to apply to games which have been out for years already? If you met the threshold 2 years ago, you’ll start owing for any installs monthly from January, no? (in theory). It says they’ll use previous installs to determine threshold eligibility & then you’ll start owing them for the new ones.

A: Yes, assuming the game is eligible and distributing the Unity Runtime then runtime fees will apply. We look at a game’s lifetime installs to determine eligibility for the runtime fee. Then we bill the runtime fee based on all new installs that occur after January 1, 2024.

How is that even legal? Does the contract with Unity include “at any point we can decide to just demand money from you for reasons that are not made up yet.”?

Also: certified-huh-moment:

9 Likes

5 Likes
10 Likes

This is the biggest nothing burger of an article I’ve read in recent time. I’m trying to find this confirmation.

4 Likes

Well, it’s still pretty early anyway. GTA 6 is the next game coming so we won’t know much about this for another five to ten years.

2 Likes

I’m seeing a LOT of people hyped for this.

I’m like, eh? Cool?
I’ve only ever played Super Paper Mario on the Wii and even then I don’t think I even finished the story :sweat:

Maybe I’ll check this one out though, the graphics look really good and I’ve heard its probably the most popular of the series.

That Princess Peach game looks nice too. I love the theatrical aspects of it


All in all, the major first-party stuff of this Nintendo Direct all seemed to be remakes of older IPs. (Paper Mario, Luigi’s Mansion 2, Mario vs. Donkey Kong puzzle-platformer)
Nothing earth-shatteringly large to mark your calendars with.
It seems that this might actually be the final Switch-focused Direct until they reveal whatever the Next Console is in 2024. The Luigi’s Mansion 2 date happening for Summer next year makes me think that console reveal might not yet come until Late 2024…

5 Likes

Basically my thoughts as well. The Princess Peach game looks interesting. I have heard that Thousand Year Door is meant to be by far the best Paper Mario game, so definetly got some interest in that.

It definetly feels like things are winding down a little until the next console arrives. Makes sense to do stuff like ports and remakes and save your big titles for the launch of the next console.

New Among Us map comes out next month, looks like fun.

4 Likes

That was a very cute animated trailer! (I was half expecting some story-based mode lol)

I was like “noooo!” when Red fell out of the ship. Then “yaaaay!” when it turned out okay!

2 Likes
5 Likes

If anyone is interested in getting into a non-Unity game engine…

Humble Bundle could not have timed the release of this bundle any better :joy::joy:

3 Likes

Uh technically not game news but since IGN can return to comic news I guess I can.

I for one can’t wait to write a version of Fables that doesn’t fucking suck after its first 75 issues.

5 Likes

Better late than never. Have always thought the original Tomb Raider trilogy was a weird omission from the list of older games to get the “Remastered” treatment given the popularity of the games when they first came out.

4 Likes

Score one for fans of the public domain! And it didn’t even take 70-120 years to go into public domain either!

Finally we can get.

Fables: The T-Shirt

Fables: The Coloring Book

Fables: The Lunchbox

Fables: The Breakfast Cereal

Fables: The Flamethrower: “A Children’s Toy”

Fables: The Doll (Bigby)

Fables: The Towel

Fables: The Plate

Fables: The Shaving Cream

Fables: The Toilet Paper

Fables: The Sheet

Fables: The Placemat

Fables: The Wallet

1 Like

Fables: The Daily Wire Exclusive TV Series (Starring Gina Corano)

3 Likes
6 Likes

T’was just a prank bro

6 Likes

“I promise I won’t try something like this ever again. Trust me.”

9 Likes

A change to resolve “Confusion and angst” sounds like “We will make you see how great the idea is”. A zero bit of “Hmm maybe we are the baddies”.

7 Likes